2 replies to this topic

#1 mrsniffles

mrsniffles

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

hey all,

have done a test run installing gentoox on my xbox and now want to upgrade to a 500gb HD so I can use it as permanent NAS.

have seen past threads (circa 2003) that say the largest HD is 137GB and file size cant exceed 4GB. Is this still the case?

i'm hoping on using this xbox as NAS for my PC and Mac so am also looking into compatibility with snow leopard.

any help is appreciated.

#2 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:25 PM

There are limitations on fatx partitions. Linux can't read 32k or 64k partitions. F is capped at 127 or 137 and g has a cap to but I am unsure of exactly what it is.

There is no problem if you format in ext3 and use it. I think that should work up to 2tb partitions. However the xbox can't read ext3 on the xbox bios side. This just makes your problem exactly opposite than what it is now.

There is a patch you can apply to a 2.4.32 kernel if you rebuild it. This patch is said to make 32k and 64k partitions readable that are fatx. I have been unsuccessful in getting the kernel compilied so I can not verify if it works or not.

Here is a link

32k or 64k

And if you are going to go this far you might as well take a look at this patch to. It will allow you to create another partition outside of f or g to put linux on.

hd57

As for file size I don't know. I do know that I can put 360 games on the ext3 partitions and it is readable however smb shares don't see files this big coming from samba shares. I can transfer them around but only by ftp.

Hope this helps.

Edited by run088, 09 December 2009 - 10:32 PM.

#3 mrsniffles

mrsniffles

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:26 AM

woah! thanks. will have to have a bit of a think of the best way to progress now. cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users