GreenDazed87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

So my xbox 1 won't run reliably anymore. It seems that unless I run it open case, I loose video and just get a white screen while audio continues to play. And while yes I can replicate the problem by putting the cover on, it also happens quite randomly. I posted a really crappy cell phone video where you can see what it's doing.

I'm thinking the video chipset in the console is dying, or perhaps the connection needs to be resoldered. I've tried other hard drives, tvs, and video cables, same thing always happens.

#2 GreenDazed87

GreenDazed87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

You know what, I think it is just the cover. I left it completly off and just let the system run opened up and I cannot replicate the problem.

Now why on earth would whether or not the cover is on effect the video output?

#3 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

The shielding is probably bent and putting the lid on is causing pressure on the board?

#4 GreenDazed87

GreenDazed87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE(Alex548 @ Dec 14 2009, 05:25 PM) View Post
The shielding is probably bent and putting the lid on is causing pressure on the board?
Yeah, that's the only thing that makes any sense. I'm gonna take the drives out and just examine it for anything odd like that.

#5 GreenDazed87

GreenDazed87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:00 AM

Okay, well I narrowed down the problem area. It's the DVD Drive chasis. Whenever enough pressure is applied to the upper right leg (Next to the main fan) the video prblems occur. I for the life of me can't figure out why this is. I scanned it up and down and cannot see any area where it would be messing with the signal. I just don't get it.

#6 capboy210

capboy210

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modification, computers, games, live, friends, girls, eating pasta.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:43 AM

Well the far right leg on the dvd caddy is closest to the video encoder chip and the video output. Id just try loosening the screws on the motherboard near the afflicted area. Do you have the bottom most shielding installed in the case? If you dont id put it back in...Id definitely take a peek on the bottom side of the motherboard, check to make sure the video output port isnt partially soldered. Then id make sure there isn't a loose screw in the bottom of the case and creating an unwanted ground, ive had this happen and the xbox went crazy.

But if none of the above helps out your problem and the xbox literally freezes and its not just the video going crazy; id say that the video encoder is loose or something is probably broken on the motherboard. It may be time to backup the eeprom and save valuable data and find a new motherboard.

#7 GreenDazed87

GreenDazed87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

I've never taken the motherboard out of the case, so the shielding is still there, and I'm not missing any of the screws nor have I had to replace any so I don't think anything fell in underneath it, so I'm thinking something has to be resoldered.

The system actually doesn't freeze when the video problems occur, sound can still be heard. The video flickers and goes all nuts when pressure is applied. But if the cover is on and fully secured then I usually get no picture or sound and the system just shuts itself on and off til I unplug it. If not that then I get a red ring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users