• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pmhart83

pmhart83

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:24 AM

I have been helping a friend who gets two red lights on the left side of his xbox 360 power button.

I took the heat sinks off, used some rubbing alcohol and black sand paper to clean off the cpu / gpu. Added new artic silver 5 and put it back with nylon / metal washers I got in a kit off ebay.

It always boots with green lights, now that I used the sand paper.

We played games for 3~4 hours using my hard drive, but when we plug in his hard drive it overheats right away. He also mentioned it overheats without any hard drive at all. I would point the finger at the hard drive, but I am suspicious about it overheating without anything at all.

My limited guess was that there is a problem with both his hard drive and xbox. With a better hard drive it was able to swap out memory using the hard drive (more than the disk drive) and avoided overheating?

Any suggestions?

#2 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:02 AM

sand paper??

overheating has nothing to do with your hard drives.

sand paper??

Take 360 to someone who doesn't use sand paper to remove thermal paste!

#3 parker955

parker955

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:16 AM

Yah man SANDPAPAER ohmy.gif

The thermal paste is to fill in the microscopic scratches left from machining on the chip to make it conduct heat better since there's more metal to metal contact.

What you did is make it less heat conductive since now it needs more thermal paste to fill in those grooves.

#4 pmhart83

pmhart83

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:16 AM

I got the idea here:

http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry4578356

#5 under420dog

under420dog

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:anything....
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE(pmhart83 @ Dec 18 2009, 07:16 PM) View Post

how do you think heatsinks get smooth? not by the 360 makers that's for sure (besides copper/copper faced ones(some)........

you work your way up fro 400-1600 (if needed and no power tool)black wet dry sandpaper...of course it's not meant to remove thermal paste(Citrus Cleaner or similar is used) most shops use something like a Dremel to do this along with the final buffing...or should use something with a measured set speed...

then apply a pre cleaner(rubbing alcohol or something that don't leave a residue) before using thermal paste/thermal pads........the CPU heatsink is copper based and has no problem but the GPU is not finished(it's fine gritted) and this is why out of the factory a thermal pad is used......money saving on the 360 as usual
and skipping the little things that count is what messes up any 360....

Edited by under420dog, 19 December 2009 - 05:00 AM.

#6 easyguy

easyguy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(under420dog @ Dec 19 2009, 04:53 AM) View Post

how do you think heatsinks get smooth? not by the 360 makers that's for sure (besides copper/copper faced ones(some)........

you work your way up fro 400-1600 (if needed and no power tool)black wet dry sandpaper...of course it's not meant to remove thermal paste(Citrus Cleaner or similar is used) most shops use something like a Dremel to do this along with the final buffing...or should use something with a measured set speed...

then apply a pre cleaner(rubbing alcohol or something that don't leave a residue) before using thermal paste/thermal pads........the CPU heatsink is copper based and has no problem but the GPU is not finished(it's fine gritted) and this is why out of the factory a thermal pad is used......money saving on the 360 as usual
and skipping the little things that count is what messes up any 360....

You do realize you said 400-800 grit in your original post do you? That's gonna leave you with a pretty bad surface. I'd start off from 300 and finishing off at 2000 grit at least.

#7 under420dog

under420dog

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:anything....
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

because that was based on using a thermal pad and a easy fix.....here it is based on thermal paste.......and i have no problem with a mirror finish on 1600 once buffed out.......did you realize that....and over 10 years of doing it....right down to pc's..power supply's and linear amps...

as usual just an opinion...

Edited by under420dog, 19 December 2009 - 03:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users