12 replies to this topic

#1 Kyohe

Kyohe

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:06 AM

So, I've use my Xbox to watch movies off my computer using Win XP for years. I use a crossover cable from the Xbox directly to the PC. I'm now trying to do the same with Win 7, but to no avail. I have the IP set up as follows.

PC:
IP: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.2

Xbox:
IP: 192.168.0.2
DNS: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Though I've tried numerous variations of the IP settings. I've made sure, network sharing is on, non 128 bit encryption is enabled, password is off. But every time I try to use it it either freezes my Xbox or says "WORKGROUP not found". What am I missing? It's getting really frustrating to try every variation of settings under the sun and get no results.

Something I forgot to mention. My PC can see the Xbox just fine, I can FTP to it no problem. It's only when trying to get the Xbox to see my PC that it doesn't work.

Edited by Kyohe, 17 December 2009 - 01:20 AM.

#2 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:49 AM

How old is your copy of XBMC? Vista/7 use a slightly different protocal to previous versions of Windows (SMB 2.0), and XBMC had to be tweaked to match.

#3 Kyohe

Kyohe

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:01 AM

Oh yeah? I hadn't even thought of updating XBMC. I'll try to find the latest version and try updating it.

Will T3CH XBMC 2009-06-01 9.04.1-FIXED-Babylon (latest stable build) be new enough? Or should I go for the latest SVN build?

Edited by Kyohe, 17 December 2009 - 02:12 AM.

#4 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:49 AM

Either should work. Personally I prefer to stay up-to-date. Sure, the cutting edge is the bleeding edge, but even the stable builds have their bugs.

#5 Kyohe

Kyohe

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:05 AM

Ok, before when I selected Workgroup it just saw my computer and I could browse shared folders on it. Now it's asking me to add a source? I can't seem to find a guide that explains this new system, do you know of one?

#6 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:48 AM

When you go into Videos or whatever, you'll first see the "source list". Sources point to where your media is stored - they're basically a way to jump directly to certain drive/network locations without having to browse through the folder trees every time. Hit "add source", select "browse", and you'll probably see the workgroup listed as an option right away (if not, go into "network sources" and define one for SMB).

Once you've selected that, hit Ok to everything, and boom, SMB on the source list.

#7 Kyohe

Kyohe

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:38 AM

Alright, it kept asking for a password even though I have password protected sharing turned off. So, I inputted my comps admin login info and it worked. So, thanks for all the help.

#8 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:50 AM

Check the Sharing & Security settings on the shared folder (right click then select Properties off the context menu). If you don't want to use a password, make sure the Everyone group has access.

Password Protected Sharing makes the system ask for a password regardless of the permissions on the share itself. Basically a quick way to disable anonymous access to all the shares on your system without having to go through and tweak 'em manually.

#9 virtualholocaust

virtualholocaust

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Dec 17 2009, 01:50 AM) View Post

Check the Sharing & Security settings on the shared folder (right click then select Properties off the context menu). If you don't want to use a password, make sure the Everyone group has access.

Password Protected Sharing makes the system ask for a password regardless of the permissions on the share itself. Basically a quick way to disable anonymous access to all the shares on your system without having to go through and tweak 'em manually.

you are the man this worked for me thank you biggrin.gif

#10 ckshowtime

ckshowtime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:20 AM

I am guessing that I might need to update my XBMC on my original Xbox, I am running whatever has been on there ever since I got the thing. I have a Linksys WAP that I am using to connect to my machine in the basement.

I can FTP into the Xbox...but I have no idea how I am supposed to update XBMC.

The avalaunch dashboard shows v0.49.3

#11 dave122

dave122

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

lol i installed win7 recently and set it all up in minutes it recognized smb strait away afer turning on file sharing and sharing the folders themselves.updating xbmc isnt the problem

#12 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

That would depend on what version he's using. How do you know your install matches his?

The best way to set about updating is to install the new build to a new location on the drive, and run it from there. This lets you test it out and make sure you've copied it over correctly before you trash your old install.

#13 dave122

dave122

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

passive aggressive m8, there is a pinned thread at the top for this

Edited by dave122, 20 January 2011 - 02:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users