• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beezy33

Beezy33

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:29 AM

Today, I come home to the 3 Red Rings Of Death on my Xbox 360 (I had this on my previous Xbox 360, so I'm pretty sure it's done).

I pulled out my receipt and saw that I bought this Xbox 360 at Game Stop on 12/10/06, and at that time, purchased their PRP 3-Year Warranty for $49.99 (assuming it was a 3-year by the cost and receipt description "PRP - Products $3", but I could be wrong).

I know Game Stop doesn't sell the PRP Warranties any more, but my first question is, since I had a MS 90-day factory warranty on the Xbox, does the PRP Warranty start AFTER that 90 days???

If the warranty is only 3 years (overlapping the MS 90-day warranty), then it's no longer valid, but if the 3-year warranty starts AFTER the MS 90-day warranty, I'd have until March 10, 2010 to return this product for a brand new one, right??????

I guess I can call Game Stop tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone had come across this and what came of it.

This is going to be tricky, as I did purchase my 1st Xbox 360 on 1/24/06, returning it on 12/10/06 (under the same PRP Warranty purchased seperately, so I've bought two warranties from Game Stop), getting the 2nd unit talked about here.

Thanks.

#2 Teitoku

Teitoku

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:33 PM

Just dig up your warranty and read it. You're going to need it if you expect anything to happen, because the store doesn't keep a copy.

#3 eggnog

eggnog

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:14 PM

the Gamestop PRP warranty is a 1-year warranty that takes effect AFTER the manufacturer warranty. Even though you purchased the warranty when you got the new console back and it had a 90 day factory warranty, Microsoft extended the warranty for RROD issues to 3 years, regardless of refurb status, etc.

So your current xbox was purchased 12/10/06 and Microsoft had 3 years on that for RROD issues
the Gamestop warranty is 1-year after that, which would be from 12/10/09 onwards, so you should be able to bring it to your local Gamestop and get a new one.
Make sure you bring your receipt with the PRP purchase for that console, otherwise it takes us like 30 minutes to call corporate and get the information over the phone.

your friendly local Gamestop employee,
eggnog

P.S. we do still sell the PRP warranties but it has to be with the purchase of the console, not at a later date

Edited by eggnog, 17 December 2009 - 10:15 PM.

#4 Beezy33

Beezy33

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE(eggnog @ Dec 17 2009, 01:14 PM) View Post

the Gamestop PRP warranty is a 1-year warranty that takes effect AFTER the manufacturer warranty. Even though you purchased the warranty when you got the new console back and it had a 90 day factory warranty, Microsoft extended the warranty for RROD issues to 3 years, regardless of refurb status, etc.

So your current xbox was purchased 12/10/06 and Microsoft had 3 years on that for RROD issues
the Gamestop warranty is 1-year after that, which would be from 12/10/09 onwards, so you should be able to bring it to your local Gamestop and get a new one.
Make sure you bring your receipt with the PRP purchase for that console, otherwise it takes us like 30 minutes to call corporate and get the information over the phone.

your friendly local Gamestop employee,
eggnog

P.S. we do still sell the PRP warranties but it has to be with the purchase of the console, not at a later date

Much appreciated on the breakdown analysis!

I do have the receipt, although a little old, still can read everything on it.
I just couldn't remember how long the Game Stop warranty was for and how it was to be applied. I had a really cool guy help me out the first time, and have never had an issue buying products there.

So, what you're saying is, I replaced/purchased my new console on 12/10/06, again adding the PRP 1-year Warranty. Microsoft extended to a 3-year warranty (in place by December 2006, extends out to December 2009), and the Game Stop PRP Warranty is 1 year on top of that (12/11/09 though 12/10/10?)?

I hope you're right and I don't have any hassles. The PRP Warranty has a SKU on the receipt, but I hope I get someone there that's going to help me (be on my side), and not BS me out of getting the $400 (the 12/10/06 cost) Xbox 360 replaced for free, per the PRP Warranty.

There's a couple of these right by my house so maybe I'll stop in after work to confirm before boxing up everything.

Thanks again, and I'll report back ASAP.

Edited by Beezy33, 17 December 2009 - 11:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users