Photo

Faq: Problems With Nand Dumping/writing/homebrew?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

FAQ about NAND dumping. JTAG, and Homebrew

This rough guide is hopefully going to reduce the threads about 'why doesn't my XXXXX work'

You need a combination of things to get going, and it depends on your PC and 360 setup - everyone's is different! One setup will work for someone, on someone else's it won't!

This is all about patience - don't rush into installing XBR etc or uncrippling without having a bit of a read around. This forum section (Hacking) is a good place to start. And don't forget about the SEARCH button!

First things first - YOU MUST BACKUP YOUR NAND! (and by backup I mean at least 2 good copies) Get this right first, before getting carried away and turning your beloved crippled/pre 8XXX kernel 360 into a paperweight! You won't know for sure if your kernel is exploitable until you have done this if you're going the homebrew route.

1. NAND Dumping.

Common materials needed for LPT dumping:

A. Printer cable or 25 pin Dsub hood.
B. 100ohm resistors, or lesser value ones (30/50/68ohms) or none - depends on your PC LPT port.
C. Switching Diode or not, again depending on your PC/360
D. Soldering iron - 15-20w
E. Solder
F. Flux
G. PRACTICE AND PATIENCE. Do not rush straight in - have a go on a broken pcb you've got kicking around.

Programs Needed:

A. NandPro 2.0B (Not 2.0 or 2.0A)
B. 360 FlashTool
C. A hex editor
D. Degraded

Guides to doing this:

NAND dumping wiring for ALL VERSION motherboards : http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry4523337

My tut: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=697231

More permenant way of fixing LPT cable: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=691873

Common Problems:

1. No Flash Config Found

A. Does your PC have an LPT port? A PCI card with LPT port WILL NOT WORK!
B. Try shortening the length of your cable - the shorter the cable (and remember its gotta reach your PC) the better.
C. Are your PC bios settings right?
D. Add/remove resistors/try lower value ones.
E. Add/remove switching diode.
F. Is your soldering good?
G. Is the LPT wired up the right way? (remember the guides show THE REAR of the LPT plug, not the front!)
H. If you can't get NandPro to run, check that you've changed directory/installed NandPro to the correct directory.
I. If you're getting no errors in NandPro, but when you open your dumps in Degraded it shows bad blocks with no 'moved to 0X03FF' and each of the dumps have errors in differing places, you need to ground the LPT cable. The un-shielded wire on the LPT cable (ie no plastic sleeve) is the ground, or if you've built your own cable from scratch, attach a wire from the metal chassis of the DB-25 connector. Attach this to the metal shielding of the 360 or one of the copper grnd points around the screw holes in the mobo and that should sort the problem.

J. Nandpro not detecting your 360 - you may have the 'DLportIO.sys not loaded error'. In 'regedit' (cmd prompt) try: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ In regedit. There should be a "dlportio" key (folder) in there. If there is, delete it, reboot and try a reinstall. If that doesnt work, go back into regedit, back to the dlportio key and change the value of "Start" to "1"."

You should have Nandpro Flashconfig:

Xenon/Zephyr/Opus/Falcon
FlashConfig: 01198010

Jasper (16MB)
FlashConfig: 00023010

Jasper (256MB)
FlashConfig: 008A3020
256MB NAND Detected

Jasper (512MB)
FlashConfig: 00AA3020
512MB NAND Detected

in NandPro appear on the CMD window, if not check the above.

If you get errors whilst dumping NAND, check the above. Also you'll get errors (normally error 250) if you've zero'd parts of your NAND.

Some errors may occur irregardless see below.

2. Can read NAND but get some errors after checking in Degraded

You've got bad blocks in the NAND.

A. If you've got more than one backup of your NAND (and you should have) and it's got good blocks where another dump hasn't, you can self repair using NandPro.
ie:
Make a note of the bad sectors addresses - ie 0X0124, 0X3b7 etc, then take nand.bin (with bad sectors) and nand2.bin (with good sectors where nand.bin's bad one's are - make sure you keep the original dumps as a backup) and put in the root folder of NandPro 2.0b, then open NandPro:

nandpro nand2.bin: -r16 badsector.bin *whatever bad sector address is* 1
nandpro nand2.bin: -r16 badsector2.bin *whatever bad sector address is* 1

repeat this with all sectors that are bad on your nand.bin

Then write the good sectors back to the first bad NAND at the same addresses:

nandpro nand.bin: -w16 badsector.bin *whatever bad sector address is* 1
nandpro nand.bin: -w16 badsector2.bin *whatever bad sector address is* 1

You should now check in Degraded and there should be no bad blocks!

B. You can use Redline99's bad block remapper.
C. NandPro can be problematic sometimes on first read - try reading a small amount of the NAND first (ie nandpro lpt: -r16 praccy.bin 0X0124 1) and then read the NAND without closing the CMD prompt window.

Congrats. You should now have at least two good NAND dumps BACK THEM UP TO DISC!.

2. NAND Writing.

Using NandPro 2.0B you've encountered errors writing to the NAND.

A. Recheck your soldering. If you could dump the NAND and now you can't write, you might have knocked something loose. This is important. If you could read the NAND, you should be able to write to it.
B. You're NAND is being stubborn. Erase it (ONLY IF YOU HAVE GOOD BACKUPS!) using the -e command in NandPro and then try rewriting.
C. You've not placed the .bin file you want to write to the NAND in the NandPro root directory.
D. Short pins on the NAND and then boot briefly. THIS IS A LAST RESORT! I'm not going into details with this as I got flamed the last time, but use the search function wink.gif

3. Problems with XBR/Xell.

You've got your NAND backups, now you want homebrew. Your kernel version should be less than 8XXX - you need to check your CB value in 360FlashTool/Degraded. A list of the exploitable CB's are here:

http://www.eurasia.n...p/Xbox360Kernel

Read this excellent guide by Roamin64 here:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=698328

Read it again so you understand it smile.gif

You will need (depending on your mobo version):

A. 330ohm resistors
B. Switching Diodes
C. Wire.
D. XBR/Xell.
E. Component/VGA cable.
F. PATIENCE.

It is now recommended that you use the switching diodes for the Xenon - not the original 3X330ohm resistors.

Install guides for the JTAG wiring are here:

Xenon: http://i.imgur.com/Fdjmi.png

All other boards: http://pictures.xbox...e60/diagram.jpg

1. You've flashed XBR and now you're getting error codes/RLOD. Normally E79.

A. Your JTAG wires are either incorrectly or not soldered correctly. Check them out using a multimeter. You may also have shorted ponts on the mobo. CHECK THAT YOUR DIODES ARE THE CORRECT WAY AROUND!
B. You have not got an exploitable CB - see above.
C. You've injected rawkv.bin and rawconfig.bin into XBR before flashing back to the 360. Try only using rawkv.bin and reflash.
D. You've only injected rawkv.bin into XBR before flashing back to the 360. Try adding rawconfig.bin and reflash.
E. You've flashed XBR to the 360 and then added rawkv.bin and rawconfig.bin. Reflash XBR and try only adding rawkv.bin.
F. You have still got bad blocks in your NAND - either remap the original NAND using Redline99's remapper, or rebuild yourself THEN DUMP RAWKV.BIN AND RAWCONFIG.BIN.
G. NandPro isn't writing the XBR.bin properly - try redumping and comparing using a hex editor to see if there are any discrepancies.
H. You have an error code such as 0102. It's a hardware problem not XBR/Xell - has your 360 suffered from the 3RLOD's before? X-Clamp fix it. Various guides are in the 'General Hardware' section of these forums.
I. Use NandComplete on your XBR with injected kv/config. Reflash.
J. Leave the 360 off for a couple of minutes after flashing then retry booting.
K. There seems to be some reports of repaired Zephyr motherboards with a CB of 4580 christmas lighting after flashing the appropriate XBR. If this is the case (and this should only be done after checking the above points), some people have reported sucess by flashing the FALCON version of XBR to the NAND.
L. Some 360's frag after the JTAG install - either intermittantly, or straight off the bat. Try installing a 330ohm resistor between points J2D2.4 and J2D2.7 instead of the wire jumper.

If the above fails, uninstall your JTAG wires, and reflash your ORIGINAL NAND dump. Does the 360 boot? If it doesn't, you may be encountering write problems - see above. (This is not because the 360 won't boot with original dash and JTAG wires in place, simply to return the 360 to stock and eliminate write problems).

2. XBR worked for a while, and now it doesn't?

A. If you've got a 360 with a large NAND (ie 256/512mb internal memory), and you've been saving to it - DON'T! As of XBR v.3 saving to the NAND can cause XBR to not work anymore. Reflash XBR AND DON'T SAVE TO THE NAND!
B. Re-check your JTAG wires.
C. Make sure your 360 hasn't rlod'd - check the secondary error code - if it's 0102 or 0110 it needs the X-clamp fix/reflow.

If you're KV's corrupt (and it shouldn't be if you've got good NAND dumps) see here:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=699353

All the software needed is available at the usual places.
Hope this mini problem guide helps - if anyone's got any suggestions/additions please let me know and I'll add 'em. Also feel free to ignore if the guides not necessary wink.gif

Added Flashconfig for all mobo's - thanks dakaku!

Added DlPortio error - thanks carpedro smile.gif

Edited by thwack, 10 June 2010 - 03:51 PM.

#2 j3ll3

j3ll3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

Thx.. very nice and helpful

maybe this will help someone. general guide:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5kqxq1kgjz2

Edited by j3ll3, 18 December 2009 - 05:14 PM.

#3 pipeme

pipeme

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

If this helps someone.

I had error 79 and followed this FAQ by just did what step J said

"C. You've injected rawkv.bin and rawconfig.bin into XBR before flashing back to the 360. Try only using rawkv.bin and reflash."

I re-extracted the kv from my original NAND and re-wrote it to a new copy of the XBR bin, then re-wrote that to my NAND. My xbox booted up perfectly after this.

Thanks for the FAQ, I was dreading having to re-solder my wires again....luckily it wasn't that!

#4 vintage_guitar

vintage_guitar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

Tmbinc says this about e79:

Q: "I get E79"
A: This means that, congratulations, your console is still booting into a
kernel, and just cannot go further (which was to be exepcted, given that
there is no filesystem anymore).
You're almost there, but for some reasons, the DMA attack didn't run.
This can be either that you didn't used a patched SMC, or that the target
address wasn't inserted properly.

#5 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(pipeme @ Dec 20 2009, 11:52 AM) View Post

If this helps someone.

I had error 79 and followed this FAQ by just did what step J said

"C. You've injected rawkv.bin and rawconfig.bin into XBR before flashing back to the 360. Try only using rawkv.bin and reflash."

I re-extracted the kv from my original NAND and re-wrote it to a new copy of the XBR bin, then re-wrote that to my NAND. My xbox booted up perfectly after this.

Thanks for the FAQ, I was dreading having to re-solder my wires again....luckily it wasn't that!

No bother smile.gif

QUOTE(vintage_guitar @ Dec 20 2009, 01:21 PM) View Post

Tmbinc says this about e79:

Yep - also can mean that the JTAG wiring is fuxxored (wrong value resistors/diode/soldering)

#6 dakaku

dakaku

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

Xenon/Zephyr/Opus/Falcon

Jasper (16MB)
FlashConfig: 00023010 (<- this right ? googled it)

Jasper (256MB)
256MB NAND Detected

Jasper (512MB)
512MB NAND Detected

#7 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(dakaku @ Dec 21 2009, 12:27 PM) View Post

Xenon/Zephyr/Opus/Falcon

Jasper (16MB)
FlashConfig: 00023010 (<- this right ? googled it)

Jasper (256MB)
256MB NAND Detected

Jasper (512MB)
512MB NAND Detected

Added - chhers dakaku

#8 sfarooq

sfarooq

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

thank you will give it a go

i have a problem when i was flashing the nand my computer lost power, now the xbox will not power up and i can not erase it using nandpro i am in the process of re doing the connections but do you think i have fried or damaged the xbox..

#9 covis

covis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

C. You've injected rawkv.bin and rawconfig.bin into XBR before flashing back to the 360. Try only using rawkv.bin and reflash.
D. You've only injected rawkv.bin into XBR before flashing back to the 360. Try adding rawconfig.bin and reflash.
E. You've flashed XBR to the 360 and then added rawkv.bin and rawconfig.bin. Reflash XBR and try only adding rawkv.bin.

Its not so clear what do you mean in this 3 steps.
It does matter if you flash the xbr with injected rawkv than add it after flashing ?

#10 covis

covis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

Yep - also can mean that the JTAG wiring is fuxxored (wrong value resistors/diode/soldering)

Sorry for the double post but how can you measure the diode with the multimeter and what it will be supposed to be the value? (I used the diagram for xenon with diodes)

#11 craz3d

craz3d

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE(covis @ Dec 21 2009, 12:21 PM) View Post

Sorry for the double post but how can you measure the diode with the multimeter and what it will be supposed to be the value? (I used the diagram for xenon with diodes)
Diodes really don't have a value.

A diode allows current to flow in one direction only. An ohmmeter (the resistence setting on your multimeter) measures the resistance of a circuit or circuit element by applying a voltage across it. When you have a difference in electric potential (voltage), you get a flow of electrons, or current. Therefore with one orientation of your red and black probes, you should see very little resistance (the diode conducts the multimeter's current without restricting the flow substantially), and in the opposite orientation, you should see very high resistance (the diode is blocking the current.)

Check out the pictures, http://www.allaboutc...3/chpt_3/2.html

Edited by craz3d, 22 December 2009 - 10:16 AM.

#12 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

Added stuffs on diodes rather than resistors - also made it more clear to check the direction you've installed your diodes in smile.gif

#13 Mr10001

Mr10001

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:computers, billiards, video games/ systems, satellite tv
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:51 PM

I just wanted to add another item related to reading your nand. If you're getting errors reading blocks 200 and above, try restarting your PC and leave everything plugged in, and then read your nand again. Apparently, there are some Windows polling issues that cause this problem.

Also, I ran into this issue on a Xenon.

Edited by Mr10001, 23 December 2009 - 03:52 PM.

#14 Riffy

Riffy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:34 AM

Question, I bought this 360 off ebay and it came shipped with XBR already loaded. Now the new XBR came out and I am not sure if I can update to the new one without the original bin files, or can I just pull it off the nand now and make use of the already edited one?

#15 uzi

uzi

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

Anything about an xbox turning on but only fans spin? No lights nothing on screen not even a signal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users