3 replies to this topic

#1 ydgmms

ydgmms

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

First, I know theres a ton of threads. But Theres a ton of threads and information is scattered around. I've pieced together what I could, but would like some confirmation. Hence this thread.

I have a Pre-NXE Xenon. Dash is like 6990 or 6995 i forgot but it should be totally expoitable.
This xbox will be homebrew ONLY(xbreboot).

1) JTAG: I need to leave the 2 diodes and jumper permanently installed for Xell/Xbereboot to even work, correct?

2) NAND: I plan on making this cable; http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=691873 ; But since Xell and XBEReboot are upgradable via USB Stick, I don't need to leave it permanently connected, correct? In other words; just solder wires, do the business, Test. and I can remove the LPT/NAND wires, correct?

3) Are Xell and XBEreboot *truly* updatable via USB Stick. How does that work? Ive read things about turning on the xbox using a wired controller from the rear USB plug, or with the media remote (will a Harmony 550 work for this, i assume so. *I gave my media remote to my lil brother*). Then what happens?

4) Harddrive: Games/etc are able to be run from a harddrive now. Can I install a large (640GB 2.5") drive into the 20GB case and run games from there? What do I need to do to set up the harddrive prior to installing on the xbox. Or are games only able to run from USB harddrive and I should leave the 20GB alone for SaveGames

5) DVD drive: Since this will be homebrew only, and its a Xenon. I was planning on removing the original hitatchi 59, and installing a nice large fan to help the GPU breathe a bit easier. Also, making the Hitatchi59 my ripping drive. I can easily connect teh harddrive to my PC to load it with updated wares, etc. The DVD drive is no longer truly needed, correct?

6) Parts list: 2 1n4148, 5 100Ohm resistors, wire, db25 connector. Before I head out to pick things up later today, is there anything I'm missing?

7) I want to move my RockBand DLC content from my "flagged, but not yet banned, but will never go on Live again" console to my homebrew. Yaris-Swap should work on that, correct?

Thanks in advance.

#2 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(ydgmms @ Dec 22 2009, 06:47 PM) View Post

First, I know theres a ton of threads. But Theres a ton of threads and information is scattered around. I've pieced together what I could, but would like some confirmation. Hence this thread.

I have a Pre-NXE Xenon. Dash is like 6990 or 6995 i forgot but it should be totally expoitable.
This xbox will be homebrew ONLY(xbreboot).
1) JTAG: I need to leave the 2 diodes and jumper permanently installed for Xell/Xbereboot to even work, correct?

2) NAND: I plan on making this cable; http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=691873 ; But since Xell and XBEReboot are upgradable via USB Stick, I don't need to leave it permanently connected, correct? In other words; just solder wires, do the business, Test. and I can remove the LPT/NAND wires, correct?

3) Are Xell and XBEreboot *truly* updatable via USB Stick. How does that work? Ive read things about turning on the xbox using a wired controller from the rear USB plug, or with the media remote (will a Harmony 550 work for this, i assume so. *I gave my media remote to my lil brother*). Then what happens?

4) Harddrive: Games/etc are able to be run from a harddrive now. Can I install a large (640GB 2.5") drive into the 20GB case and run games from there? What do I need to do to set up the harddrive prior to installing on the xbox. Or are games only able to run from USB harddrive and I should leave the 20GB alone for SaveGames

5) DVD drive: Since this will be homebrew only, and its a Xenon. I was planning on removing the original hitatchi 59, and installing a nice large fan to help the GPU breathe a bit easier. Also, making the Hitatchi59 my ripping drive. I can easily connect teh harddrive to my PC to load it with updated wares, etc. The DVD drive is no longer truly needed, correct?

6) Parts list: 2 1n4148, 5 100Ohm resistors, wire, db25 connector. Before I head out to pick things up later today, is there anything I'm missing?

7) I want to move my RockBand DLC content from my "flagged, but not yet banned, but will never go on Live again" console to my homebrew. Yaris-Swap should work on that, correct?
Thanks in advance.

1. Yep

2. Yep - cable doesn't need to stay (although keep in attached until XBR/Xell boots so you know you don't need to reflash).

3. Yep there's tuts on this in tis forum subsection.

4. You can just use a hd of your choice - think it has to be FAT32 formatted (from memory - not at home at the mo).

5. DVD no longer needed - however a Hitachi won't rip games properly - you want a Sammy.

6. Have a look in the tut in my sig - you need - 3 X 1N4148 (one for LPT, two for JTAG), 5 X 100ohm resistors (also pick up some smaller value one's just in case). FLUX!

7. Yep - also dump the NAND of you're 'to be banned when accidently plugged into live', so if that does happen you can easily restore it. smile.gif

#3 ydgmms

ydgmms

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

1,2,6) thanks

3) can you point me in the right direction?

4) the HD can sit in the MS case and use that connection, also it can store my save games etc?

5) blah. oh well.

7) Oh yeah. totally good point. UNFORTUNATELY. it is the 512MB Jasper. SOOOooo based on what I've read. it takes like a day to do one dump?

thanks buddy.

#4 Vejita

Vejita

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE(ydgmms @ Dec 22 2009, 06:47 PM) View Post

I've been told Xell can't be updated via USB on a XBReboot NAND since there aren't 2 copies of Xell in XBR like FreeBOOT and XBR only contains the backup Xell copy which isn't touched with the USB updater.

As for updating the whole NAND safely with a future release of XBReboot from Xell? Someone on xboxhacker is working on a new Xell NAND flasher which should be out soon. Plenty of people are waiting for this.

Edited by Vejita, 23 December 2009 - 02:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users