4 replies to this topic

#1 jconnpow

jconnpow

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:51 AM

I have been scouring the net to try to find a way to softmod my xbox but only reply i got was to build the eeprom. I found a guide on afterdawn forums except all the pics (schematics for making device) would no longer load so i don't know what to make. I've been googling and have not found much as far as that goes.

My second question is that is it possible to do an audiohack without having a working dvd-rom? My orig xbox doesn't read games and i haven't tried music yet but it still spins up so maybe i should try repairing that first, who knows. Basically I don't know what softmods i can actualy do since game exploits i'm pretty sure are out of the question. With a non working dvd drive can i still Hotswap the drive (unplug IDE while xbox is on to unlock it) i've been researching but I just don't get the same answers from different sites, any help would be GREATLY appreciated and i hope to hear form someone soon!

#2 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

You are looking at a putt load of work to softmod with no dvd drive. It would be a lot less work if you had a modchip. I would suggest either borrowing a dvd drive from someone or buying a very low cost Duo X from this guy.

If those options are not possible, there is a working tutorial for building an eeprom reader here.

Once you get a dump of your eeprom chip, you can get your xbox specific data from it and go from there.

#3 jconnpow

jconnpow

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

Thank you, a mod and I were having troubles finding a site that had pics/diagrams too (for building eeprom) and unfortunately nobody i know uses this "ancient technology" anymore....but i need a media box smile.gif

(worst part is i just traded a 360 for a ps3 and psp, then did the exact same trade with another pesron yesterday) *sigh* when will i learn...or is it just about having to have mass amount of goodies? Anyways thank you very much.

#4 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

You can buy an eeprom reader off E-Bay. I agree, I would put in a low cost no frills mod chip. You are still going to need the DVD drive to boot Slayer's though.

You might be able to put a PC drive in and have it read Slayer's and do the HD prep for you.

#5 jconnpow

jconnpow

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

I thought that if i was able to unlock the HD that i would either be able to FTP files over or just unlock the HDD, put all needed files onto the HDD via hooking it up to my computer. I've done some research but not enough into that part of it yet. When you say low end modchips what do you mean, the ones for < $10? I was looking at those to begin with but didn't understand difference between xecutor and all that stuff. I'm not going to use LIVE or probably even play any games with modded xbox, I just want to be able to put a nice new half or 1 tb HDD in it and use this mainly as an arcade, media box, and cheapo old computer (running linux on it). Are there no alternative ways to flashing the bios or to softmod my xbox without a DVD drive then?

ps. I remember that i found a guide on how to softmod by just hotswapping the xbox's HDD then booting up some special cd on what i thoguht was my computer and then just install new dashboard or whatever really? I'm going to look around but any info is GREATLY appreciated. Also if anyone has opinion on the cheapest modchip that will just allow me to unlock my xbox and let me goto town is appreciated. Thank you all though for the help so far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users