• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 j005u

j005u

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:14 AM

First of, this is not a release thread. Secondly this is not a "omg omg plz make flashur thread". Thirdly, please excuse any inaccuracies and/or misuse of terms. My experience with C/C++ is limited, but I do have some.

Being in a situation where my DVD drive is dead and LPT cables have been removed I started looking into the possibility of creating a sort of port for lflash that'd be a flat ELF binary which would use libxenon to read the new image off a a usb drive.

http://free60.git.so...flash.c;hb=HEAD

lflash itself is based on iomap which is a platform specific memory mapper that's a part of the kernel. As one might guess it's fairly tightly intervened with the Linux kernel and that's mostly a lost cause. libxenon doesn't appear to have any straightforward way of accessing the flash either, but then I remember that Xell has the ability to update itself, thus it must be able to read and write to the internal nand.

Presto: http://free60.git.so...flash.c;hb=HEAD
Heck, even the method signatures (I have an OO background, not sure if that's actually the proper term for pure C) match up.

Using libxenon to access an image to be written to the nand from a usb stick (fixed path I spose) and some form of screen output + flash read/write code borrowed from Xell and we should have a simple way of flashing pretty much anything provided you have some version of Xell installed.

Thoughts? Any forseeable issues?

Wondering how come tmbnic or someone just hasn't thrown together (made public?) this exact thing.

Edited by j005u, 02 January 2010 - 02:21 AM.

#2 j005u

j005u

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:12 AM

Anyway, I'm building the toolchain (on Mac OS X even) and then gonna try to get my sewn together monstrosity to actually compile. Once that's done it's time to figure out how excatly to use libxenon for usb stick access (documentation?) and after that it's the right (absolute?) memory addresses.
With any luck I'll be able to dump the current contents in a day or two, if that goes fine then writing should be cake.

If anyone wants to pitch in or share some technical details or anything, I'd really appreciate it.

#3 Icekiller2k6

Icekiller2k6

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

really don't bother with it.. solutions are already on the way wink.gif

#4 bestpig

bestpig

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

lflash is not for dumping / flashing with xell.
You must compile & execute it on Linux.

To compile it:
gcc lflash.c -o lflash

#5 j005u

j005u

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(bestpig @ Jan 3 2010, 04:16 PM) View Post

lflash is not for dumping / flashing with xell.
You must compile & execute it on Linux.

To compile it:
gcc lflash.c -o lflash

Uh, that was completely not my point, but anyway, guess I'll wait for whatever Icekiller2k6 meant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users