bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:13 AM

Any advice...I've only heard good things, after working 3.5 months in Holland last summer think I've got the travel bug. Was planning to get a full time job but times are tough here in the UK. At least it will give me something to look forward to in the summer..

Is the process quite selective?? Hopefully with my 3 years customer service experience I should be alright, I'm generally ok with having a laugh with kids n stuff..but I've applied to be maintenance work..behind the scenes..

Just wondered if any of you have done it before?? Or any of you close to the camps..what are they like??

Ta..

#2 eyric101

eyric101

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:34 AM

I guess it depends...how do you feel about slave labor? J/K I went to camp with a bunch people camp america councelers. It was called camp discovery in northern virigina. We all had a blast. You should come prepared to work hard though.

#3 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(eyric101 @ Jan 4 2010, 11:34 PM) View Post

I guess it depends...how do you feel about slave labor? J/K I went to camp with a bunch people camp america councelers. It was called camp discovery in northern virigina. We all had a blast. You should come prepared to work hard though.

Ya we did loads of hard work in Holland, 9am-6pm everyday and only got one and a half days of a week. Sometimes for what we got paid it did feel like slave labour!!

I'm always up for a challenge though and love travelling, I'm bored out my face staying here at home doing nothing..

Edit, one thing I'm a bit confused about is it's asking for references, normally most jobs I apply for just ask for an address and they check them out. What's the best way for me to obtain references, I can get one from my Uni Lecture and one from my job before the last but the Holland job would I just phone them up and ask me to post one?

Edited by bucko, 05 January 2010 - 04:34 PM.

#4 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:14 PM

its just either people you have worked with or friends (not family) that you have known for a long period of time that can be a character reference.

#5 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Jan 5 2010, 10:14 PM) View Post

its just either people you have worked with or friends (not family) that you have known for a long period of time that can be a character reference.

Ya thanks, I've emailed some people who worked with me and one of my past uni lectures to. Just awaiting references now, apparently it takes them five days to process my application...biggrin.gif I've also ordered a brochure through the post so I can do some reading smile.gif

#6 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

whats the perks of these camps anyway? Do you get paid well, when you factor in food/room and board?

#7 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(Pulsemasta @ Jan 16 2010, 02:09 PM) View Post

whats the perks of these camps anyway? Do you get paid well, when you factor in food/room and board?

Well I'm trying to travel the world on the cheap, and to get to USA for 400 is a bargain, inc all visa and everything, I've been in Holland for a while in a tent totally of the grid and it was such a nice break. Lots of fun to nice to be outside lol!! Holland was very expensive tax wise and we lived of mainly food given to us by customers it helped a lot, I've changed my role in camp America going to do the councillor role, just be involved in all the activities and make sure there no accidents etc..just got one more reference to do and paid my first payment I cant wait to go in May hopefully. Screw this jobless country England lol.

Edited by bucko, 17 January 2010 - 08:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users