22 replies to this topic

#1 ellington66

ellington66

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

this a computer game that was released recently. here is a youtube video

im not sure how it was made but i think it was made just to look like a NES game(it looks like it plays like die hard). is this possbile to get on to the xbox?
thanks

#2 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Nothing legal probably !
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

are you serious ?

#3 moonmaster1

moonmaster1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:03 PM

Reminds me of new ghostbusters on the nes, cool stuff.

But alas it comes down to source code. No source, no port. Try contacting the author and see if he will join your cause.

#4 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:14 AM

Looks awesome! maybe you could actually make this into a NES/SNES rom.

#5 moonmaster1

moonmaster1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:59 AM

Its not an nes rom, its a game some guy coded from the ground up.

That being said I'd rather keep left 4 dead far away from mario bros 3 so my xbox doesn't explode in the ensuring culture clash.

#6 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE(moonmaster1 @ Jan 9 2010, 06:59 AM) View Post

Its not an nes rom, its a game some guy coded from the ground up.

That being said I'd rather keep left 4 dead far away from mario bros 3 so my xbox doesn't explode in the ensuring culture clash.

I know, I was just saying that maybe someone would want to port it to nes or snes since it seems to be about that era.

#7 moonmaster1

moonmaster1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

I was ready to berate you but I decided to take a look at some other nes works, turns out I owe you an apology, I'm sorry.

Someone actually made a dark knight themed hack of batman.

Dark Knight Hack

It looks very well done there is a link to another youtube channel with various nes hacks. Mario vs Airman is my new favorite.

But again, porting an an nes game from scratch isn't exactly an afternoon affair. There is a guy from sega-16 who is porting wolfenstein to the 32x as well as bunch of folks who want metroid ported to genesis, the wolfenstein port will happen but its taking forever because of the hardware.

#8 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

You would think they could look into the code of Doom 32X to get some help with porting wolfenstein. Those two games have to run on the same engine...

some ports to NES really suck though... for example... Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

#9 moonmaster1

moonmaster1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

MK trilogy is a pirate, whence why it sucks so bad. Ultimate mortal kombat trilogy for sega genesis *its a Russian hack* is amazing, Play that instead if you don't mind the color loss.

Wolfenstein runs on a different engine meaning the rooms are the same height and other details *Unlike doom* but there is playable beta out over at sega-16's forums, the final version is compatable with the mega mouse and can be upgraded via 32x/segacd.

Sonic retro is also hacking doom32x to add new maps, one guy is even porting chex quest to 32x using the doom 32x engine.

Here are some links:
Doom 32X wad compiler
Wolfenstein Beta
Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy *Needs neogenesis v22/23 to play*

#10 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(moonmaster1 @ Jan 9 2010, 03:44 PM) View Post

MK trilogy is a pirate, whence why it sucks so bad. Ultimate mortal kombat trilogy for sega genesis *its a Russian hack* is amazing, Play that instead if you don't mind the color loss.

Wolfenstein runs on a different engine meaning the rooms are the same height and other details *Unlike doom* but there is playable beta out over at sega-16's forums, the final version is compatable with the mega mouse and can be upgraded via 32x/segacd.

Sonic retro is also hacking doom32x to add new maps, one guy is even porting chex quest to 32x using the doom 32x engine.

Here are some links:
Doom 32X wad compiler
Wolfenstein Beta
Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy *Needs neogenesis v22/23 to play*

I will have to check all that out. I have the UMK3 hack already...I wish someone would port that to the SNES just because of the controller. The controller scheme for genesis with the 3 buttons going sideways was weird for home console purposes, I think, SNES has a nice 4 button set up which is cool for fighting games because you get high punch, low punch, high kick, low kick...

#11 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE(Pulsemasta @ Jan 9 2010, 11:16 PM) View Post

The controller scheme for genesis with the 3 buttons going sideways was weird for home console purposes

The 3 button pad worked very nice for the older games, but for fighters you should just use a 6 button Genesis pad.

Edited by VampX, 10 January 2010 - 02:53 AM.

#12 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(VampX @ Jan 10 2010, 02:53 AM) View Post

The 3 button pad worked very nice for the older games, but for fighters you should just use a 6 button Genesis pad.

yeah. That would be cool if I had a real system. But I run the Xbox emu, NeoGenesis. The problem I come into is to play a fighter I have to change all the buttons around. Then to play anything else I have to change them back because the Xbox uses a 4 button system (which makes it perfect for SNES) So most games that have a SNES and Gen version I just go with SNES.... but then there are those Gen only games that I end up not playing due to the hassle of the controller set up.

#13 moonmaster1

moonmaster1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:10 AM

There just needs to be an individual controller set up for each game, unless of course there is an option and it has eluded me for 3 years and running.

Mario vs Airman

#14 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(moonmaster1 @ Jan 10 2010, 11:10 AM) View Post

There just needs to be an individual controller set up for each game, unless of course there is an option and it has eluded me for 3 years and running.

Mario vs Airman

Yeah I haven't seen that option. I know you can set up controller 2 different from controller 1 but that is across board, not just game specific.

come to think of it... if there were still any coders around who cared that would be a great core update, to include the feature of setting up the controller on a per ROM basis.

#15 moonmaster1

moonmaster1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

Mortal Kombat was the only game to have awkard controls which is even more awkward considering the xbox controller.

So I set it up in snes style and the rest of my games have that one retarded set-up making it even more confusing to play the simplest of games such as street fighter 2 and eternal champions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users