X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Getting tea-bagged and gang banged
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

i dont really consider this remixing DSL, not yet at least, but ultimitely i want a clean looking build of DSL, so i have been rummaging thru various scripts in its base to tweak and change and clean up its appearence.

i have forever been bothered with the fact that DSL leaves the installation options (native, loopback, etc) in the click menu even after you install the system to your hard drive. i found out which script is respnsible for this, and tested it by removing the options from it which cause the install options to be listed under the "tools" menu.

the script to control the click menu: .jwmrc

open the script and you will see all the code that makes up the click menu. simply remove the options you A= never use, or B= are generally tired of looking at.

this can make it easier to navigate your click menu.

what i want to tackle next is find the script which displays the window managers installed so it can be tweaked to offer KDE, Gnome, ICE, etc.

also coming along quite nicely is JWM themes. want to change the color scheme of your JWM? run setTheme.lua in terminal and go from there.

some of this may or may not be common sense, but as someone who takes DSL seriously, and uses it every day, i think this is good stuff for anyone who wants to improve their overall DSL experience.

#2 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

script to change WM: switcher.lua

work continues...

#3 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

Interesting project!

Hey, I wanted to ask you something since you seem to know your way around linux. I just bought a HD TV the other day and now when I try to run DSL linux my TV just says, "Input Invalid". Do you know how to fix that? or if there is a fix? I tried to search the forums for this topic but the search doesn't work for me, it just goes to a error page.

#4 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:19 AM

hmm, thats an interesting error.

for whatever reason your TV is not picking up your video signal, is what it sounds like. are you using the stock RCA video output into the proper RCA video input on your TV? does the xbox function at all for dashboard or games work on this new tv?

lets start there and see what we can figure out.

thanks for the support on the remixing, btw!

#5 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

Glad you have took the time to figure these things out. This is useful stuff to know to update the look of dsl to customize it with a modern feel. I have not thought about this approach but the idea is on spot. If a new build gets released then this will really come in handy to customize dsl into a brand new xbox specific distro.

pulsemasta did dsl work on your old tv?

Does it still work on your old tv?

Were you implying that the xbox itself plays on the new tv but when you load up dsl the tv freaks?

Is this already a native or loopback install?

If it is a loopback or native install when you load linux from a cd does it boot?

If so it is where your desktop is already set for your old tv and your new tv can't match the resolutions. Fix by making a new build for your new tv's resolutions.

#6 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

Thanks to both of you for the reply!

The Xbox plays games/emulators, video, music, exc all fine. But when I load Linux up it goes to the linux boot screen, where you pick CD Rom or Load From HD. It is on the HD so that is the only option it lets me have. It starts to boot, but then when linux should boot it just says "invalid signal" on my TV.

I am not using the standard RCA cables. I use component cables, that's the only main difference between my old set up and new one.

It did work fine on my old TV.

and the build of it im using is from the DSL source forge page. I didn't change anything.

Also "Mugen" no longer works.... I'm guessing because it is at heart a linux distro.

#7 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:19 AM

Then a new build will fix your problem. You can run in 480p or 720p since you are using hd cables. You can still keep your old build for when you use the xbox on the other tv. You can just rename the old builds file system name and make your cfg file reflect the changes. This way you will be presented with a grub like boot menu you find on normal pc dual boot setups allowing you to choose which kernel you want to launch. This is easy if your old file system exist on a different partition than the one the new build is on. If this is the case no renaming is necessary. You would just need to alter the cfg file at best if cromwell didn't notice the older file system.

You might also be able to load from a live cd and make the changes on your system with it. I however am not sure what changes would have to be made not to mention how many more changes it would require because of different packages and configurations you have made to the system since base install that could have an impact on the end result.

I would reinstall or make a 2nd build before tracking down those configuration issues if it were me with the problem.

You could also look at the cfg file and look for something like "800x600" or whatever it is already set to and change it to "480p" or "720p" and see if that will get around the problem. I dont know whether it will work or not it is worth a try though. Just remember or copy the old settings so you can change it back if it doesn't work.

Edited by run088, 10 January 2010 - 11:28 AM.

#8 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(run088 @ Jan 10 2010, 11:19 AM) View Post

Then a new build will fix your problem. You can run in 480p or 720p since you are using hd cables. You can still keep your old build for when you use the xbox on the other tv. You can just rename the old builds file system name and make your cfg file reflect the changes. This way you will be presented with a grub like boot menu you find on normal pc dual boot setups allowing you to choose which kernel you want to launch. This is easy if your old file system exist on a different partition than the one the new build is on. If this is the case no renaming is necessary. You would just need to alter the cfg file at best if cromwell didn't notice the older file system.

You might also be able to load from a live cd and make the changes on your system with it. I however am not sure what changes would have to be made not to mention how many more changes it would require because of different packages and configurations you have made to the system since base install that could have an impact on the end result.

I would reinstall or make a 2nd build before tracking down those configuration issues if it were me with the problem.

You could also look at the cfg file and look for something like "800x600" or whatever it is already set to and change it to "480p" or "720p" and see if that will get around the problem. I dont know whether it will work or not it is worth a try though. Just remember or copy the old settings so you can change it back if it doesn't work.

Sorry, I don't really know what you mean when you say a new build will solve the problem. Could you elaborate on that? I'm new to all this Linux stuff

I tried to change the cfg file and it did go a bit further, to the linux start up but then crashed :-( No input errors on the TV though! at least I am progress

UPDATE. It says it can't find file system and it is dropping me to a very limited shell, press restart to quit..
any ideas?

Edited by Pulsemasta, 10 January 2010 - 11:45 AM.

#9 dpbmt

dpbmt

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

reinstall it, then before you start it up add 480p/720p to the cfg file

#10 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(dpbmt @ Jan 10 2010, 01:23 PM) View Post

reinstall it, then before you start it up add 480p/720p to the cfg file

That's what I tried, it didn't work.

I get this error

CODE
Can't Find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very Limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.

additional builtin commans availible;
cat- mount- umount
insmod- rmmod -Ismod

Knoppix#

#11 dpbmt

dpbmt

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

not an expert on the matter in hand but i would say your linuxboot.cfg is wrong (i.e its pointing to the wrong place for the filesystem)

can you post the cfg file.

#12 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE(dpbmt @ Jan 10 2010, 02:21 PM) View Post

not an expert on the matter in hand but i would say your linuxboot.cfg is wrong (i.e its pointing to the wrong place for the filesystem)

can you post the cfg file.

This is my config file,

CODE
title XDSL
kernel KNOPPIX/linux24
initrd KNOPPIX/minirt24.gz
append root=/dev/ram0 init=/etc/init rw video=xbox:480p/720p frugal quiet kbd-reset

that is in the E: partition, that is also where the KNOPPIX file is located. Here are the contents of my Linux folder,

KNOPPIX>

IPB Image

KNOPPIX>KNOPPIX

IPB Image

any obvious errors??

#13 dpbmt

dpbmt

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts