13 replies to this topic

#1 sid1747

sid1747

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

my friends xbox dvd drive is broke and he wants me to replace it for him. he doesnt used hacked firmware or backups. he goes on live legit.

my question is can i buy an exact same model drive an insert his key into it without modified firmware and will he still be able to go on live without recieving the ban hammer?

or is the only working way to send it into ms to do it? i mean id imagine they do it the same way. put a new drive in and insert the orignal key right?

Edited by sid1747, 09 January 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#2 ar1stotle

ar1stotle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

Well, assuming it's the exact same drive, I think you could just dump the firmware from the original drive and flash it to the new one, but I'd back up both firmwares just to be safe anyway. You should be able to put the old drive key into the new drive's firmware. You'll need his original drive key, so it won't work right out of the box. Might want to wait for a confirmation though, I've only modded 2 myself.

#3 troy2000

troy2000

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:CGI, Star Trek, Modding, Hacking.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:38 AM

Depending on the brand/model of the drive, if you purchase an identical replacement, it should be as simple as swapping out the logic boards. Assuming, of course, that the problem is purely mechanical.

#4 Pockets69

Pockets69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:16 AM

You need the DVD Key to swap drives, if you don't have it better not swap the drive!

If your friend never uses backups and has a legit firmware on the drive why not sending it Microsoft and have them replace it witout any cost or problems??

#5 insanity4all

insanity4all

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE(troy2000 @ Jan 9 2010, 06:38 PM) View Post

Depending on the brand/model of the drive, if you purchase an identical replacement, it should be as simple as swapping out the logic boards. Assuming, of course, that the problem is purely mechanical.

+1
QUOTE(Pockets69 @ Jan 9 2010, 07:16 PM) View Post

You need the DVD Key to swap drives, if you don't have it better not swap the drive!

If your friend never uses backups and has a legit firmware on the drive why not sending it Microsoft and have them replace it witout any cost or problems??

Microsoft only covers the dvd drive for 1 year. $100 for a new drive?! I'd rather fix it myself for $25, and sacrifice my warranty. Everyone has their own preferences though.

#6 Pockets69

Pockets69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:16 AM

yeah dammit didn't know about that, well if ms doesn't cover it anymore better fixing it yourself, but you will need the dvd key i think!

Edited by Pockets69, 10 January 2010 - 03:18 AM.

#7 sid1747

sid1747

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

why do u have to replace the logic board inside or whatever? why cant i just insert the dvd key into the same type/model drive?

i replaced my samsung with another samsung and just put in the key and it worked fine. what does puttin the board into it do?

#8 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

If you but the same brand of drive, IE Hitachi for Hitachi or Samsung for Samsung, you can swap out the board without reading and writing the drives.

The Key is on the board, so with swapping the logic boards you are swapping keys. If you are an ace in JF and are very comfortable reading and flashing drives, go for it. If you want the easiest method to get the job done, swap out the boards. There is no soldering involved and it takes about the same amount of time as flashing would.

#9 mikulskn

mikulskn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

I am new to flashing, and I have similiar need to replace a bad Hitachi 78FK drive with another 78FK drive. If I have key from old Hitachi 78FK and old board is now bad, how do I insert key into new drive/board using jungleflasher? Original dvd never had modded firmware, and I don't want modded firmware in new one. The jt tuturiol is not clear on just doing this, without flashing ix somewhere during these steps. I just want to not get banned on my xbox, so I don't want to involve ixtreme at this point. So starting with new 78FK, what are jungleflasher steps? Thanks for any help on my first flash.

#10 insanity4all

insanity4all

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:27 PM

I'm pretty sure you just inserting the dvd key, is one of the optional command in the Hitachi tab of JF. If it won't let you do it without flashing Iextreme, then simply flash the Iextreme (with the changed key) Then after you mod it, hit the revert back to stock button and flash it back to orig.fw. You will need to make sure you have all the necessary Hitachi bins, in your firmware folder though. I don't think they are included with the most recent releases of JF. If you hit the usual place and sift through all of the older versions I'm sure one of them has it included.

#11 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:32 AM

Your Key is in a file name Hit_ofw?

If so you can use jungleflasher and just open it as the target FW and flash.

#12 mikulskn

mikulskn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:20 AM

Thanks for the input...I just want to gain some input/confidence in the process so I don't get banned or brick the drive again.

I am in the process of getting the Key from old bad board by having the TSOP removed/read. I don't have original Hit_ofw from old board. So once it is confirmed that the Key extraction worked and it is emailed to me, I will order the new hitachi drive. So I cannot try your suggestions at the moment.

Since I don't see option to do Restore commnad in JT with my supplier Key, I am thinking my steps are..
- I already downloaded all bins from xbins and put in jt firmware folder.
- After in mode b, choose Dump Drive to get file out of whatever was on new drive. And Save bin file just to keep a copy.
- Choose Restore Firmware to make sure original fw that JT chooses from its firmware directory is in place.
- Then do another Dump Drive, save as Hit_ofw.bin.
- At this point the necessary Key is still Not in place.
- Choose Manual Spoof as there seems to be no option to just insert a new Key.
- After choosing Manual Spoof, put the new Key in the Drive Key section.
- Either leave Spoof As section blank, or Spoof As to same Hitachi version if forced to put something. Click OK.

I wish I had an extra xbox to try it on it, so it is hard to tell what steps would actually work for this situation based on jt 1.70 tutorial. Like insanity4all suggested, if this doesn't work, I could just flash iextreme with new key and then a restore. I wasn't sure if flashing iextreme once would be recorded by the motherboard, and consequently potentially result in being banned.

Any further comments on above would be appreciated. Thanks again for helping me out on my first flash.

#13 insanity4all

insanity4all

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Jan 29 2010, 06:32 PM) View Post

Your Key is in a file name Hit_ofw?

If so you can use jungleflasher and just open it as the target FW and flash.

NO NO NO

Don't do anything in DVDKey when playing with a Hitachi!!!!
EVERYTHING is done in HitachiGDR3120

READ the tutorial.

#14 mikulskn

mikulskn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for warning. Just to clarify...I think all the steps I refer to in previous post take place within the Hitachi GDR3120 tab of jf, and the point of inserting a new Key is in the manual spoofing steps in the Hitachi GDR3120 tab on pages 69-70 of 1.70 tutorial. Just seems strange that I need to use Spoofing buttons when I am not trying to Spoof the drive since it is exact same model/version. Could someone comment that only way to insert new Key with JF in this situation withOUT loading iextreme during the process is with using the spoofing functionality in jt? And then in page 70 of tutorial, is it necessary to fill in the "Spoofed As" field with the same the "Current" OSIG, or can I just leave this field blank? Thanks again for any comments. Just trying to nail down precise steps before first attempt....just saw too many stories/posts about bricking a drive if you don't do it exactly right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users