• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 match417

match417

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:22 AM

my girlfriend doesn't have the Red/White/Yellow jacks on her TV and she has a DVD player she doesn't use because of this, so I found this old XBOX1 cable TV adapter and I want to rewire the XBOX plug on the end to accept Red/White/Yellow wires so I can plug the DVD player into it and it plays on channel 3 or 4. It looks simple enough, and I found this diagram online, plus I attached this picture of it, the only problem I have with it is the video part, it is the most confusing part since it doesn't say which wire could be connected to the yellow. Anyone done this? Or can they offer some help on what the diagram says? I also attached a weblink that seems to show a slightly different pinout. I just need to know what wires to solder to what so that the DVD player will play through the tv adapter. Thanks for the help guys! I'm a mechanic, so when it comes to stuff like this sometimes I can figure it out on my own, and other times I get stuck.

The XBOX side of the adapter only has pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 11, 12, 13, 14, 21, 22, 23, 24 (according to the picture below), and if you follow the weblink pinout then I have pins 1, 2, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 23, 24. Also, would it be easier to connect composite or Svideo instead of just the one yellow plug?

http://www.gamesx.co...inouts/xbox.htm

IPB Image
IPB Image

#2 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

This guide should get you on track it shows the pin placement on the xbox I have no idea how to reverse engineer it for a dvd player.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=213487

This is how the xbox does it

You will need to bridge pin 9 and 10 together so composite signal is produced

pin 23 should be your composite +

pin 21 should be your composite -

pin 2 should be your + for the red audio jack

pin 4 should be your - for the red audio jack

pin 3 should be your + for your white audio jack

pin 5 should be your - for your white audio jack

This is all looking at the mobo itself not the av plug. I have done the hd, composite, component, svideo, vga, audio rca and audio .35mm following this guide and can assure you it is on point.

However I have never tried to reverse engineer the av cable for anything else so I am not positive on what would need to be done to get it to work.

#3 match417

match417

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

This is perfect man, thanks a lot for the link. I'll figure it out from here.

#4 match417

match417

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=213487

Ok, so in the link you sent me (above) I just have one question, what are the white plugs labeled "1" in picture 1 and "1" and "2" in picture 2? There are more in the other pictures, but I'm only interested in the picture 1 rewire. Are those the switches that it is talking about below the pictures?

#5 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

The xbox throws several different signals depending on which pins are grounded the grounded pins determines what signal is produced.

composite requires pin 9 and 10 to be bridged one of those pins is ground the other is the pin that when grounded throws the composite signal. You don't however need to use that particular ground any ground will work. I am just not sure off the top of my head which pin is ground between 9 and 10.

#6 match417

match417

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

it turns out this little adapter needs a 5v power supply and utilizes pin 1 on the XBOX mb for the power and pin 24 for GND, I'll have to dig up a little 5v power supply and connect it to this little adapter too.

So now I need to know if the ground (-) on the powersupply can also be used for the ground (-) on the audio and video? Does this have any kind of interference if I do that? It looks like that's how it's set up right now.

The xbox plug that is coming off of the adapter does not utilize pins 9 and 10, the pins that do not show continuity to the adapter are pins 4, 11, 12, 13, 14, 21, or 22, so my guess is that these pins are used for the "switches" that are talked about in the link that run088 posted, and some of the possibly for audio/video ground???

Sooooo...lets say I wire it this way, Clear and Black wires are used on the 5v adapter that I find. Green wire is split off to audio L and R (+) and the Red wire is wired to yellow composite plug (+), and I use the Black wire also for the audio/video GND, then the power and the audio/video would be using the same ground. Is this safe??? I don't know how to wire in the

tested continuity, results are below, the wire colors I'm talking about can be seen in the picture I took of the adapter in my first post.

XBOX plug -- cire color on adapter - function

pin 1 - clear wire - positive voltage (5v)
pin 2 - green wire - R audio out +
pin 3 - green wire - L audio out +
pin 4 - *** - Right audio (-)
pin 11 - *** - mode 2
pin 12 - *** - ground
pin 13 - *** - mode 3
pin 14 - *** - ground
pin 21 - *** - composite (-)
pin 22 - *** -
pin 23 - red wire - composite out +
pin 24 - black wire - GND

*** ((is on the plug coming off of the adapter but does not show continuity to any of the 4 wires on the adapter))

Edited by match417, 11 January 2010 - 09:18 PM.

#7 match417

match417

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:59 AM

it didn't work for some reason, all of the solder points were solid, and I did it like I mentioned above. I made sure the solder didn't touch anything else. It didn't even carry the cable channels through like it was supposed to. I should have checked to see if it even worked first before I modified it. Or maybe the heat from the soldering iron damaged something internally. Maybe I didn't have it figured out right.

#8 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:10 AM

Do you still need help? I hope so cus this is gonna be a long post for nothing if not. Let me see if I can help. This looks like a project I may attempt sometime in the future and I have worked with these things before.

Have you already cut off the avip connector of the rf switch box? If so do you have enough wire on the avip side for testing?

Assuming yes,

The ONLY pins you need to focus on are the ones containing functions that the RF box uses. The video mode select "switch" pins on the avip connector are for determining the video mode that the xbox outputs. You do not need these at all for your project. Moving on.

According to your first picture the audio will be pins 2,3,4, and 5 so use a tester to associate these pins on the avip connector to the colored audio wire on the RF converter. If you already have, do it again to make sure. Once you know this, move on.

Pin one in the diagram is 5v so again, use a tester on the avip connector side to associate that pin to another colored wire on the RF converter, Once you know this, move on.

Pin 23 in the diagram is your video + and pin 21 is video - so again, use a tester on the avip connector side to associate that pin to another colored wire on the RF converter, Once you know this, move on.

Now here is the tricky part. Where to ground your power in. This could be the sole reason your project has not been successful at this point. You may have to carefully experiment with this part because the xbox only used a floating (common) ground system to some extent, meaning you cannot ground your composite video using the audio ground and so on and so forth so trial and error will be needed.

Something to take note is that you will get interference if the RF switch is forced to pull 5v ground from any other ground point such as audio ground or video ground. So hopefully you find a good ground for the power.

Good Luck.

#9 match417

match417

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:36 AM

@xboxmods2977

Thanks for the info, I was assuming that it wasn't successful because of the ground being tied in with the video/audio negative. I still don't know where to ground this thing to when I disconnect the ground. If I leave the ground disconnected completely then the circuit isn't complete for the power adapter, so no power from the adapter, but..here's what I'm thinking, I get something else that uses 5 volts, and tap into the same power adapter that is currently being used for the power to the signal converter adapter, that way I get a hot 5 volts from a power adapter that has a complete circuit and the signal converter is grounded through the TV coax input. The power adapter can handle up to 1 amp, so I'm not too worried about it, I don't think the signal converter is going to draw that much amperage.

#10 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:15 AM

Won't work.

You will have a complete circuit to the other device but still not to the RF box. What you could try is grounding the to the shielding wire if there is one, leading me to my question.

Are there any wires leftover inside the RF box or are they all connected to something?

#11 match417

match417

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Jan 14 2010, 04:15 PM) View Post

Won't work.

You will have a complete circuit to the other device but still not to the RF box. What you could try is grounding the to the shielding wire if there is one, leading me to my question.

Are there any wires leftover inside the RF box or are they all connected to something?

that's the problem, there are only 4 wires inside the signal converter. Audio +, Video +, 5v+, and ground, there is not a pin #5 for audio ground on the xbox plug. Anything I ground to inside of the signal converter is connected via pcb to the ground, even the coax ground. Somehow the xbox worked with this thing, logically it should be able to work on a DVD player.

#12 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:01 AM

So the RF box has a common ground? Well, then I am even more puzzled as to why the adapter won't work with the 5v- connected to the ground.

There must be some kind of "communication" from the xbox to the RF box to tell it to come on I guess.

I am out of ideas but would like to know when you figure this out how you did it.

Maybe someone else can add an idea or 2 here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users