2 replies to this topic

#1 Misterturtle

Misterturtle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

I am no expert, and i'm sure people have thought of this already, but i am curious to why it wouldn't work.

A.) Is the kernal status saved to one hard ware part of the xbox. Such as the CPU or GPU, or southbridge etc. or is is stored in every part of your hardware. (Obviously, I don't really know how kernals work lol)

So assuming that the kernal status is saved to some hardware (seeing as all coding has to be stored somewhere, right?) I was thinking, could you take whatever part stores the kernal status from a red ring'd xbox that has an older kernal. And swap it with yours through soldering etc.

Obviously there would be a few restrictions.

Restriction 1.) I would think it would have to be the same motherboard type (xenon, jasper, etc.)
Restriction 2.) Would whatever the kernal is saved to be accessed by your xbox's CPU key? So would it even run at all?

Seeing as I am no expert in anyway, I assume there are many many problems with this. But figured might as well ask, and learn a few things about motherboards tongue.gif

Edited by Misterturtle, 11 January 2010 - 02:55 PM.

#2 yaazz

yaazz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

I'm pretty sure you can do this with xenon. It is almost impossibly hard to do though and as such isn't a very good solution

#3 JeffJ2

JeffJ2

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

there isnt a "kernel Status" stored in the box, there are efuses. the CB bootloader that starts the kernel checks these fuses. if they are correct it boots the kernel and dash fully. if not you get E80 or nothing just a black screen.

Downgrading the kernel would be a mute point because the newer CB's refuse to boot older kernels. If you downgrade the CB the box will just error on boot because of the fuse count. At any rate none of this can be done with out a CPU key, and this is impossible to get on any system that does not have an exploitable CB/Kernel. Efuses are stored in a small eeprom on the cpu die, and are next to impossible to modify because of this. If you wanted to make an unexplotable box exploitable, you would have to remove and reball the CPU with out the fuses blown and swap it to a board thats of the same revision. The nand chip would also have to be swapped / cloned.

Bottom line is most of which your asking is not plausible (simple down grading) and reballing is a pain in the ass.

Edited by JeffJ2, 11 January 2010 - 03:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users