nobody shares my love of a mario game you can edit the levels for? sad.gif

#3 moonmaster1

moonmaster1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

if its as good as new super mario bros wii, I think this would be a cool port. Can you create levels in game?

#4 osmorphyus

osmorphyus

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Getting tea-bagged and gang banged
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

PM, do you have any idea of the programmig skills needed to port a game or other application from one platform to another? this is why it has not been ported over - this stuff isnt just done by renaming a few file extensions, its hard work.

with linux applications to be ported over, you have to know how to program to begin with. the game will be written in C++, C, or whatever base language, then its a matter of recompiling it for the linux distro you are working on.

as well, if no other people have an interest in the game, then nobody will port it over. asking people if they will "port this over for me" never gets anything done, people won't stand up and say, "i'll do it!"

further on that - you waited *a day* to bump the thread back with a reply. thats not a very long time. if you waited a few weeks, that would make more sense to see if theres any interest in it or not.

what do you request this is ported to? an xbox .xbe? a DSL port? if the game plays in any of the linux distros that have been setup for the xbox (ubuntu=xubuntu, dsl=xdsl, etc) then it will likely play in the xbox distro respectfully.

also take this into consideration: most of the people here today are fans of the xbox and really not programmers. there is a lot of young kids here with wish lists a mile long, but since there are no programmers interested anymore, nothing will happen. this is why there is no work being done on newer emulators, operating systems, media work, fixing bugs with xbmc, etc.

#5 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE(osmorphyus @ Jan 16 2010, 11:15 PM) View Post

PM, do you have any idea of the programmig skills needed to port a game or other application from one platform to another? this is why it has not been ported over - this stuff isnt just done by renaming a few file extensions, its hard work.

with linux applications to be ported over, you have to know how to program to begin with. the game will be written in C++, C, or whatever base language, then its a matter of recompiling it for the linux distro you are working on.

as well, if no other people have an interest in the game, then nobody will port it over. asking people if they will "port this over for me" never gets anything done, people won't stand up and say, "i'll do it!"

further on that - you waited *a day* to bump the thread back with a reply. thats not a very long time. if you waited a few weeks, that would make more sense to see if theres any interest in it or not.
what do you request this is ported to? an xbox .xbe? a DSL port? if the game plays in any of the linux distros that have been setup for the xbox (ubuntu=xubuntu, dsl=xdsl, etc) then it will likely play in the xbox distro respectfully.

also take this into consideration: most of the people here today are fans of the xbox and really not programmers. there is a lot of young kids here with wish lists a mile long, but since there are no programmers interested anymore, nothing will happen. this is why there is no work being done on newer emulators, operating systems, media work, fixing bugs with xbmc, etc.

Well, it is written with the SDL library and C++, which makes it easier to port tp Xbox, with the SDLx library available... easy for a programmer I should say, not easy for myself :-P .... and the fact that it has already been started (the Xbox Port ) but just not finished, and the unfinished source is available.... seems possible.

#6 mahlersouthpacific

mahlersouthpacific

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:09 AM

Not sure where to post this, here or the thread I already started...

Quick question osmorphyus (or anyone else), I've been thinking about porting Stranded 2 myself, how long would it take for a total newbie to port a game like this? Or something like AVP:Gold? (It's already ported-just using it as an example.)

Edited by mahlersouthpacific, 17 January 2010 - 06:10 AM.

#7 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE(mahlersouthpacific @ Jan 17 2010, 06:09 AM) View Post

Not sure where to post this, here or the thread I already started...

Quick question osmorphyus (or anyone else), I've been thinking about porting Stranded 2 myself, how long would it take for a total newbie to port a game like this? Or something like AVP:Gold? (It's already ported-just using it as an example.)

Check this link out,

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=523954

That gives a good overview.

#8 mahlersouthpacific

mahlersouthpacific

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:29 AM

Thanks! It looks like I might be able to do this. Hopefully someone with experience can guide me through the difficult parts as I do the grunt work.

I'm going to get started on this tomorrow. If I need help, I'll just use my old Stranded 2 Post?

#9 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE(mahlersouthpacific @ Jan 17 2010, 06:29 AM) View Post

Thanks! It looks like I might be able to do this. Hopefully someone with experience can guide me through the difficult parts as I do the grunt work.

I'm going to get started on this tomorrow. If I need help, I'll just use my old Stranded 2 Post?

Don't count on anyone helping you here, not in any serious amount anyway lol

I have been teaching myself C++ and trying to figure stuff out on my own, anytime I PM anyone with a question they ignore it... and if you post in the forum people will try their best to help, but its just people like you and I... none of the Devs want to talk to new comers....

I think it comes down to proving yourself or something.... like if I was to port a game/emu on my own.... then maybe next time one of the other devs will help out when asked.... A lot of the Devs have degrees in computer science and what not too so maybe its the calibur of the questions... they feel they are above the entire conversation or something?? I don't know... nes6502 did give me some pointers though when I asked about his tutorial, I could send you what he said if you like... it's pretty much just what you need to learn in C++ to understand whats going on.

Edited by Pulsemasta, 17 January 2010 - 06:48 AM.

#10 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(Pulsemasta @ Jan 17 2010, 07:44 AM) View Post

they feel they are above the entire conversation or something??

No, they think you are an annoying kid who feels he's entitled to these ports.

You bumped a post shortly after you made it,

you say this is all very easy to do (yet won't do it yourself)

you complain that they ignore you,

your whole attitude is that of a spoiled kid who wants it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

I've been here for years now and recently made a thread about the Streets of Rage Remake,
And i did not get a programmer interested, but you don't see me complaining about it.

So I wait a while and then post some new pics and good info, in hopes of maybe interesting someone eventually.

You on the other hand post and post and complain and nag and feel you are being treated worse then the rest.

#11 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(VampX @ Jan 17 2010, 05:38 PM) View Post

No, they think you are an annoying kid who feels he's entitled to these ports.

You bumped a post shortly after you made it,

you say this is all very easy to do (yet won't do it yourself)

you complain that they ignore you,

your whole attitude is that of a spoiled kid who wants it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.
I've been here for years now and recently made a thread about the Streets of Rage Remake,
And i did not get a programmer interested, but you don't see me complaining about it.

So I wait a while and then post some new pics and good info, in hopes of maybe interesting someone eventually.

You on the other hand post and post and complain and nag and feel you are being treated worse then the rest.

read the post before you reply, please (like actually read it)

I wasnt asking anyone to port anything via PM... I am going to school for information technology, and I am taking Visual Basic but haven't taken any C++... any time I have sent a Dev a message it has been about a problem I have run into with C++ while trying myself to port something...

and notice I said its easy (for a dev not for myself)

and I never complain that they ignore me, I was just telling him that if he thought they would be right there for him to get help, then he is wrong, which he is...

I don't know why your being such a jerk, you can just as easily not say anything if all you want to do is try to make yourself look superior to others. Your obviously grasping at straws to try and insult me for some reason. You would think since your a Mod you would want people to feel welcomed here and what not, but instead your just being rude for no reason.

Also, I didn't "bump" anything... where would it be bumped up from?? It was already the number one post and I didn't say what I said because no one ported it "noooooooooooooooooow" I was referring to people talking about it being ported, not the porting itself.

Edited by Pulsemasta, 17 January 2010 - 08:46 PM.

#12 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• 5,149 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

You don't even see how you come across, every post of yours is "oh its easy well not for me lol, oh someone
should do it but not me lol oh they feel superior just do that and its simple lol"

and you don't even see it.

#13 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE(VampX @ Jan 17 2010, 08:47 PM) View Post

You don't even see how you come across, every post of yours is "oh its easy well not for me lol, oh someone
should do it but not me lol oh they feel superior just do that and its simple lol"

and you don't even see it.

Can you show me every post of mine where I say all that? Because I don't think I do.... I might suggest a game to port and not do it myself, but that's only because I don't know C++ to do it myself.

and YOU do feel superior, and you show that in all your posts, do you see that?

#14 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• 5,149 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE(Pulsemasta @ Jan 17 2010, 09:54 PM) View Post

Can you show me every post of mine where I say all that?

And go through your 292 posts again? No thanks, it was painful enough the first time.

QUOTE(Pulsemasta @ Jan 17 2010, 09:54 PM) View Post

and YOU do feel superior, and you show that in all your posts, do you see that?

I see someone who's been here for a looooong time and who knows what the hell he's talking about,
You on the other hand do not know what you are talking about.
and it shows in every post you make.

#15 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(VampX @ Jan 17 2010, 09:12 PM) View Post

And go through your 292 posts again? No thanks, it was painful enough the first time.
I see someone who's been here for a looooong time and who knows what the hell he's talking about,
You on the other hand do not know what you are talking about.
and it shows in every post you make.

Whatever, you are the only one being childish.. because its "cool" to pretend you know everything... and "cool" to call people "noobs"... I have NEVER seen a mod call another member a "noob" on any forum I am apart of, like really ... how old are you again?? 13? 14? Because if you are any older than that, I don't see any excuse for it. It's like playing WOW in 8th grade all over again with you.

In regards to my posts, how about you read the only posts I have made in regards to ports and then you can show me the 1 post where I said something close to what your claiming I say all the time... the only reason I said it would be easy for a Dev anyway is because the code is already half written and available to download, not to mention written with the SDL library, which several Devs have used the exact word, "easy" to describe porting a SDL game to Xbox.... but you have so much experience in the subject, I guess I don't need to tell you that?

Edited by Pulsemasta, 17 January 2010 - 09:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users