• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Sustainability, Playing music, Mountain Biking, Snowboard, Games, Micro Beer, Camping, River Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:22 AM

i want to emulate these games i played on my old computers back in the day. which emu if any will do them?

the 7th guest
the 11th hour
myst
number munchers.

#2 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:25 AM

I would say DosBox for the first 3. I never heard of the 4th.

I've tried getting 7th Guest to work once or twice before myself but couldn't do it. It's probably just a matter of getting the right version of the game though. I've gotten Alone in the Dark working and I would think that would be more intense on the Box than 7th Guest would be.

#3 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:29 AM

well... I just looked at the DOS Compatibility list and none of those were on there... so I guess not DOSbox lol

unless they were just never added to the list??

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=313261

Edited by Pulsemasta, 17 January 2010 - 06:30 AM.

#4 Carnage by Bob

Carnage by Bob

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(dballs442 @ Jan 16 2010, 11:22 PM) View Post

i want to emulate these games i played on my old computers back in the day. which emu if any will do them?

the 7th guest
the 11th hour
myst
number munchers.

Number Munchers...I remember that game..it's an old Apoge title. It should work great in dosxbox.

Myst was available on the PSX, but I do not know if it runs in the Xbox emulator though.

The 7th guest MIGHT be playable in dosxbox. It is a CD-ROM based game so installing and then running the game may require a few tricks. You may have to install on PC and then copy some files over or make a custom bat file. But that's half the fun of messing around with dosxbox......Sometimes you get lucky and it installs and plays correctly the first time happy.gif I still have my old CD's of the 7th Guest, I MAY have some free time at commercial breaks during the game tomorrow to tinker around with it.

The 11th hours was a later Dos game release and I would be surprised if it was playable. A core update would help, and then so would some CPU cycles and some RAM biggrin.gif

#5 waal

waal

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

For 7th guest, check Post #101 and Post #112 .

I just read the dosxbox compatibility thread. Interesting.

Edited by waal, 17 January 2010 - 01:25 PM.

#6 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(waal @ Jan 17 2010, 01:18 PM) View Post

For 7th guest, check Post #101 and Post #112 .

I just read the dosxbox compatibility thread. Interesting.

yeah, I have actually found a few games that run on dosbox that were not even listed on the dosxbox compatibility list... so I guess it is reliable to a point. I'm guessing people put a game on there, tried to run it and then moved on, without tweaking it or playing around too much.

#7 flavor

flavor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

How many dos games are there? Like 30k+? If you count every piece of shareware. So it's obvious, that not every game gets onto that list.

#8 Carnage by Bob

Carnage by Bob

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:43 AM

Why are the suggestions in those old dosxbox threads so tedious sometimes.

Change to drive letter never-never land and mount the first disc to drive 817458-B and the second disc to the modified kernel xj714 on your hacked S:\ drive. But make sure to run "crashestoprompt.exe" repeatedly on your PC before FTPing to your box. Also blow on your cartridge before inserting the game, I also hear that rubbing alcohol helps......

I got 7th guest to work and it's real easy to do. The game runs a bit slow, but the sound was correct. Maybe with some further cycle and frameskip tweaking it could be even more playable.

10 simple steps for 7th Guest dosxbox emulation.

1. Copy both your CD1 and CD2 into ISO's. I used MagicISO.

2. Extract the contents of CD2. I used MagicISO here as well.

3. FTP both CD1 and CD2 ISO's and the extracted CD2 contents to the box into the disk/rom directory in your dosbox emulator. I chose to put all my stuff into a directory called T7G. Dos tip: make sure to use file names and directory names under 8 characters long. We complain about FatX naming limitations...but we just don't remember how good we have it compared to the time when dinosaurs roamed the earth and Dos limited you to only 8 characters for a file name biggrin.gif Sometimes long file names are a problem with dosbox, other times they are not so just follow the rule and you will save yourself a LOT of headache.

4. Fire up the install.bat on the extracted CD2 dir in dosxbox. DO NOT USE THE ISO HERE!

5. Use the DEFAULT SETTINGS the installer chooses. (Default install location, sound, and music card etc.)

6. When the install is completed it will tell you to type t7g. Click the left stick, type t7g, and hit enter.

7. The game will start and ask for you to "insert disc one"

8. Click the right stick, go down, and select the "change CD" menu button.

9. You have three choices: use a REAL CD, a disc image file (ISO), or a directory. Select disc image file (ISO) and then select the CD1 ISO file that you ripped and FTP'd to the box.

10. Double click on the giant "insert disc one" button on the game screen and you can play an old school classic!

Edited by Carnage by Bob, 18 January 2010 - 12:45 AM.

#9 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:52 AM

Myst is a Windows game. You might be able to play it under Wine for Linux, but otherwise forget it.

#10 Carnage by Bob

Carnage by Bob

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:04 AM

I tried the PSX version of Myst. The game makes it to the title screen and then hangs when you try and select the first chapter. I tried different cores and BIOS, but had no success.

It is also listed as non working under Post #4 in the PCSXbox Compatibility Thread.

#11 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:49 AM

I probably made the compatibility entry for Myst. As far as I know it doesn't work. I've tried several different rips. The only true test would be if somebody had the actual disks and ripped them perfectly. I think the PSX suffers because a lot of the rips are bad and they're all in a ton of different formats. It's not like you could have a GoodPSX set and have 7 different rips of the same game in a folder like the smaller systems, so I understand why this is so difficult.

#12 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Jan 18 2010, 04:49 AM) View Post

I probably made the compatibility entry for Myst. As far as I know it doesn't work. I've tried several different rips. The only true test would be if somebody had the actual disks and ripped them perfectly. I think the PSX suffers because a lot of the rips are bad and they're all in a ton of different formats. It's not like you could have a GoodPSX set and have 7 different rips of the same game in a folder like the smaller systems, so I understand why this is so difficult.

yeah, I was actually thinking that might be the issue with Myst but I have a real copy of the game and ripped it myself with no luck.. I think that Myst just has too much going on to work on Xbox. Another Myst like game I could never get working is X-Files for PSx ... but that kind of makes since because its a full motion video game, it was a big ordeal ripping that too at 4 disks... I should of just ripped on disk and tried it out lol But it may work with a PC emulator, although I havent tried it... as of now I still have the PSX hooked up to play Myst and Xfiles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users