#1 contradict

contradict

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

Hi

What i'd like to do is have my linux shares visible from my windows machines without using an ftp. I want to be able to save directly to home/dsl from my windows machine. and it's actually driving me bonkers...

I've installed samba.dsl and can see my windows shares but the reverse seems impossible and searching seems to compound that belief...

Please help me....PLEASE!!

Also for the life of me i can't seem to make my Utorrent boot automatically...i've added the path to bootlocal and also tried adding wine utorrent.exe but none seem to work. any further advice would help massively...

and one more thing...how do i load samba on start up...If there is a tutorial then please do point me in the right direction.

thanks..

#2 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:14 AM

Samba has a frontend backend setup it appears you just did the front. You installed linneighborhood which will see samba shares if you put its command in opt/bootlocal.sh then it will auto start. Just set it to remember previous mounted shares in the options and it will mount them. The interface does not come on in startup but the shares are mounted if they were not you could not go into them in the file manager. I envoke linneighborhood with this command in bootlocal.sh

sudo LinNeighborhood

You need to enable apt-get and grab samba from the etch repos for the backend. What you installed already is misleading it really ain't samba it is LinNeighborhood,

Because dsl does not use the fstab "It makes a new one each startup" you have to auto start everything by /opt/bootlocal.sh and sometimes all apps don't work because the desktop has not started at this point yet. I use azuraus and it cant start auto. If you can figure out how to start as a daemon you might be able to get it to work but the interface would have to still be started manually to see it.

Edited by run088, 19 January 2010 - 03:17 AM.

#3 contradict

contradict

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

ok...so here i am again...

I followed the instructions to install samba..and i installed from sarge...before i realised you said etch...

so i setup the etch repo and one of the etch links sems to be broken so it won't install...

Now i'm stuck...is there any advice out there?

#4 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

Find out what repo is jacking up and place a # in front of the line to comment it out. It might work with the sarge repos to I just always use etch because it is newer.

You do know that you cant grab from etch and sarge at the same time. One needs to be commented out.

Everytime you change repos you need to apt-get update to update the repo info.

#5 contradict

contradict

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

Yeah i did....i just made a new one rather than messing about commenting out lines...but anyhow..it works..it was the samba.dsl that comes with xdsl i used...

All i did was edit the samba.conf file to

CODE

[global]
  workgroup = MSHOME
  server string = %h (Samba %v)
  netbios name = linuxbox
  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
  map to guest = Bad User
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  passdb backend = smbpasswd
  domain master = yes
  local master = yes
  preferred master = yes
  os level = 65
  guest account = nobody
[tmp]
  comment = Temporary files
  path = /tmp
  read only = yes
  browseable = no
  guest ok = yes
[Xbox F]
  comment = Shared Network Drive
  path = /mnt/hda55
  writeable = yes
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = yes
[Xbox G]
  path = /mnt/hda56
  writeable = yes
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = yes
[Xbox E]
  path = /mnt/hda50
  writeable = yes
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = yes
[Xbox Home]
  path = /home/dsl
  writeable = yes
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = yes

Now i have all of these folders appear in my network neighbourhood....with full read and write access. (I made my shares public so no authentication is needed...just made sense to make the shares accessible to everyone in the house.

Now this xbox is almost perfect.

Dual boot NDure softmod....
Linux set up with to run samba with full shares, betaftpd, mount xbox partitions on boot
Utorrent 2.0 in wine 0.9.22 with webgui easily controlled using the java web client on my blackberry bold
All rss feeds setup to save to their particular folders on xbox partitions
Utorrent watches home/dsl for torrents which is the default save point for firefox

Nice, now every computer in the house can access my music and movies with no hassle at all...

Now I just need to work out how to start utorrent automatically after x has started. I did find a tutorial for tricking wine into believing there an x session was active but it broke the ability to watch a folder for torrents which is one of the features i love the most soooo...i'm stuck...

I don't know if anyone has any knowledge at all of gettin rtorrent running on xdsl....it looks like it's the only torrent client for my needs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users