jgsieve

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

I wanted to connect a 2TB drive to my 360 through SATA because I wanted fast load times and a larger drive. I came up with this idea to make a shell that has a esata port on the back, and also be able to connect other HDDs. What is also nice about his is that if I want to connect this to my pc I can just use the USB from my enclosure. I bought all parts from CPUstuff.com, the only reason I mention that is The SATA coupler was hard to find. I did this whole project with a dremel tool, I wish I had a variable speed one though. at 35000 rom, it can get pretty aggressive on plastic. I also electrical taped the internal connection so I don't have to fear it gets loose.

http://files.me.com/jgsieve/m8c9vx

http://files.me.com/jgsieve/c4i2k0

http://files.me.com/jgsieve/qki5gx

Edited by jgsieve, 18 January 2010 - 08:02 PM.

#2 craz3d

craz3d

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

Just because I have a feeling other people might not understand what this does (and it took me a little while looking at the pictures), allow me to rephrase what you've done here.

You have a 2TB desktop drive that you wanted to connect via SATA to the 360's mainboard, so you got an enclosure with an eSATA connection. You didn't have a need for the hard drive stored in the stock shell, so you gutted that out and stuck in and adapter that plugs into a SATA cable from 360 mainboard on one end, then has an eSATA connection on the other. The eSATA connection is what's mounted on the rear end of the hard drive shell. The 2TB external hard drive is normally plugged into it, but you have the option of using other eSATA drives with it as well.

#3 jgsieve

jgsieve

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

you got it, thanks

#4 burton666

burton666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE(jgsieve @ Jan 18 2010, 09:24 PM) View Post

you got it, thanks

Just one question, I don't really understand the use of the SATA coupling. Would it not work just using:

http://www.cpustuff....a-8-inches.html

ESATA PANEL MOUNT TO MALE 07 PIN SATA 8 INCHES
ESATA is on the bracket side .
07 SATA male is on the cable end or PCB end.
Cable length end to end is 8 inches .
Bracket width is 3.31inches.

#5 jgsieve

jgsieve

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

yeah, it looks like that would also work, I wish I would have looked a bit harder. Also, the internal make sata will have to have one of it's side tabs removed so it fits. But i think it would work just fine.

#6 jgsieve

jgsieve

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

ok, I just got around to testing it and i took a drive that has never been used, put it in my enclosure and it wont show up in the memory section, so I can't format it. Am I missing something? it 2TB btw

#7 craz3d

craz3d

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

You can't format a non-retail drive through the standard dash. You have to format the drive on your computer first (either FAT32 or HFS+) and then connect it to the console. I believe then you can access the drive through XeXMenu/Loader. You'll have to check the other threads regarding live containers if you want to store Arcade or GoD packages on an external. I haven't done that, personally.

Edited by craz3d, 20 January 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#8 jgsieve

jgsieve

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

from what I've read, I can format this drive with the dashboard since it is connected to hdd:// not usb.

#9 craz3d

craz3d

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

Oh right, I forgot that this "external" is truly connected to the internal headers.

I still think its worth a shot trying to format it with your PC first, though.

#10 gawl4

gawl4

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

You are letting the drive power up before turning on the Xbox right?

It might be the esata bridge from the enclosure, since it's not a direct connection.

#11 jgsieve

jgsieve

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

i'm letting the drive spin up before I power the 360. I'm trying to follow Magnus's partition guide so I have backwards compatibility, in the guide he says that the data needed to be Zeroed out or it has to be a brand new hard drive. this drive is brand new with no file system on it. I have it connect via usb to my xp system just to make sure the enclosure and drive are not having problems, next I will have to test the cabling in the converter box I built, I suspecting something wrong there even though i double check and electrical taped everything.

#12 jgsieve

jgsieve

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:07 AM

found out the problem, I bought a cross coupler which reverses the pins, so cpustuff is sending me the right one. now I gotta wait a another week! damn.

#13 norm360

norm360

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

What's the 7 pin connector on this breakout thing called?

Normally male sata plugs are shrouded in plastic?

This page might be of interest - http://www.ps3guide....-5-sata-hdd-mod

Talks about using transparent RAID. I wonder if you could do the same with 360 2x 2TB : )

Edited by norm360, 22 January 2010 - 03:29 PM.

#14 jgsieve

jgsieve

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(norm360 @ Jan 22 2010, 08:16 AM) View Post

What's the 7 pin connector on this breakout thing called?

Normally male sata plugs are shrouded in plastic?

Normally they are but I think they make their own cables, It is the right one though.

#15 jgsieve

jgsieve

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

just a update. I got my 2TB drive up and running, after magnus guide I have 3 partitions, with partition 3 being 1858GB, I've been dumping my games and will have a comparison video of load times up for the weekend hopefully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users