Photo

Is The Ps3 Blueray Drive Married To The Motherboard? (like Xbox?)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Siph3r

Siph3r

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

as per the title, is the Blueray drive married to the motherboard?

I have bought a PS3 , second hand, assuming that it just needed a laser replacement, however after 3 laser replacements the same problem exists so I have ruled that out.

I have tried a drive out of another PS3, and that doesnt work either (is this normal? i.e is the drive married to the motherboard?)

Now my third question, if this PS3, did happen to have the "wrong" drive in it, would it still play Music / Audio CD's?

As I can occasionally get the drive to read an audio CD? , but it will not play DVD / or Games

Any advice? or even just an answer to my first question.

Thanks in advance

#2 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE(Siph3r @ Jan 18 2010, 08:15 PM) View Post

as per the title, is the Blueray drive married to the motherboard?

I have bought a PS3 , second hand, assuming that it just needed a laser replacement, however after 3 laser replacements the same problem exists so I have ruled that out.

I have tried a drive out of another PS3, and that doesnt work either (is this normal? i.e is the drive married to the motherboard?)

Now my third question, if this PS3, did happen to have the "wrong" drive in it, would it still play Music / Audio CD's?

As I can occasionally get the drive to read an audio CD? , but it will not play DVD / or Games

Any advice? or even just an answer to my first question.

Thanks in advance

I googled it and found this quote from Playstation.com,

the original system drives are electronically married to the motherboard of the system which makes the attempted repairs virtually impossible to complete successfully

so I'm guessing it is?? I wouldn't try to fix anything like this myself though, PS3 is too expensive for me to take a chance on Fing it up.

#3 garyopa

garyopa

X-S Genius

• Admin
  • 750 posts
  • Interests:Embedded Hardware and Firmware
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

The motherboard on the drive is married to the ps3, but not totally.

Rumors are ones with the same letter and number on them, are swapable.

If you look at the board, you will see a letter like A or B inside a circle ejected in copper,
and nearby a number like 1, 2, 3, 4 also ejected in copper.

The only thing I know for a fact, if the drive board is incorrect or not matching the mainboard,
you will not see the little analog clock/loading thingie on the top right part of your screen,
move around in fast clock like movements when you insert a disc, it will just stay steady.

And if the LASER is dead, the disc will not spin up at all.

Even if the LASER you tried is replacement, it might be bad also, I do about 15 laser replacements
myself per week, and out of that 1 or 2 will be dead out of the box, 2 will die within 15 minutes,
and 1 will only read DVD not Blu-Ray.

PS3 Blu-Ray laser is very crappy design, and like trying to juggle a lightblub without breaking it.

If LASER you are trying is known to be GOOD (by testing it on another machine fully), and it
still does not work on your PS3, and you have the spinning clock when you insert a disc, then
the only under thing that could be bad is the high-current driver BA chip which powers the laser
and motors, but out of 100 or so lasers I done in the last few months, I have only see two boards
with bad BA chips.

#4 ߥ

ߥ

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

So if those ps3 have the same number and letters i can replace the drive with no problems??

Also can i replace a 80gb MotorStorm ps3 lens to a 40gb CECHG01 PS3??

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users