• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

Hi All,

here is my "Coolmod"

it is a circuit that has a temp control IC on it that will control the speed of the 360 fans dependent on the temperature of the GPU. As the temperature of the GPU increases the thermistor's resistance changes which causes the fans to speed up. The fan will always have a minimum 5V on them to ensure that they spin up when first turning on the 360.

the circuit will work on any 12v fans, be it a 360, xbox, PC etc. The mod comes complete with all wires and there are only 2 wires to solder to the board (12V and Ground).

You simply unplug your fan from the motherboard header and plug it in to the supplied 3 or 4 pin header (your choice). Place the temperature sensor on the GPU heatsink right above the centre of the GPU and the circuit will do the rest. The 12v power is taken directly from the main 12V rail on the motherboard so there is no problem with too much current draw. The mod itself does not get warm (it is able to control another set of fans if desired barely getting warm). This mod will work on all 360's whether hacked or retail. the only difference between the different revisions will be the tapping points for 12V and either a 3 pin or a 4 pin fan connector.

Idling speed of the fans can be altered by controlling a variable resistor which in turn will increase/decrease the idling speed of the fans. Regardless of the idling speed the fans will still be automatically controlled if a higher speed is required due to increased temp. Correct placement of the sensor is important to ensure the correct speed of the fans at a given temperature. I have tested it on 4 360's and had an average drop of 13 deg C. The nice thing is even if you have a 360 that runs cool, you can make it run even cooler without too much increase in fan speed (and noise).

A lot of the xclamped and heat gunned 360's run much warmer than their undisturbed counterparts. if you have a temp guage then measure the temperature of the heat sink and you would probably be surprised. Less heat means less warping, less brittleness and longer life of the components so it pays to keep the system running as cool as possible with the least amount of noise..

I was really surprised when i found my brand new refurbished (oxymoron lol)Falcon that i bought from Futureshop was idling at 63 deg measured on top of the Heatsink so i could imagine another 10 -15 degrees at the top of the chip itself. Just because its new doesnt mean its better, once i put this coolmod on it, it dropped to 49 deg C. with the voltage showing at `7.2V

Here is a picture of the board itself located on a xenon motherboard. The circuit is less than 1" square (2.5cm) and does not interfere with case closing etc. I currently have 40 available for shippng on Thursday (21 Jan 09) if demand is good i will have another 50 available in 2 weeks. Price will be $20 Cdn + actual shipping costs to wherever, I would also need to know whether you want a 3 pin or 4 pin fan connector.

IPB Image

This particular board ran at 62 deg idling and now runs at 51 deg C idling

Message me inf interested

thanks All.

#2 yaazz

yaazz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

Any chance you will post the schematic for the circuit?

#3 kipper2k

kipper2k

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE(yaazz @ Jan 20 2010, 12:57 AM) View Post

Any chance you will post the schematic for the circuit?

Once i sell my first batch i will post the circuit, i don't want to get stuck with a load of parts that i bought. I bought enough parts for 56 boards and sold 12 so far. The parts and the boards cost $15 to make (and cost of shipping etc). The worst part is the IC and transistor, if you cant get it local you will end up paying shipping etc

Edited by kipper2k, 21 January 2010 - 01:05 AM.

#4 supagusti

supagusti

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:08 AM

I'm looking forward to the release....
Good luck in selling!

#5 Lonesloane

Lonesloane

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:47 PM

What would be the price for 1 (or 2) sets plus shipping to Germany? Do you use Paypal?

#6 kipper2k

kipper2k

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(Lonesloane @ Jan 21 2010, 04:47 PM) View Post

What would be the price for 1 (or 2) sets plus shipping to Germany? Do you use Paypal?
Hi,

Shipping is $10 Airmail International , so total for 1 is $30, and 2 would be $50 (Canadian). I ship the following day and i have a paypal account.

PM me if you are interested

thanks

One more thing i would like to add is you do not have to do any soldering on the board if you don't want to.

You can tap into the 12v and ground on the DVD Rom power cable,

Pin 11 = Ground
Pin 12 = 12V

so you can just splice the coolmod into those wires. The current draw is capable of supporting both the fans and the DVD rom.

#7 kipper2k

kipper2k

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:47 AM

Hi All,

Here are more pics and a guide on the Coolmod, and also my USB flasher i have available for sale right now ($20). Webpage is still under construction so it will probably change over the next few days

PM me if interested.

My Webpage

Edited by kipper2k, 24 January 2010 - 05:52 AM.

#8 kipper2k

kipper2k

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

Bump.

Still More available

#9 gottuhaveit

gottuhaveit

X-S Enthusiast

• Validating
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

Kipper2k, Tried to send you a pm and it said your message box is full or turned off so hope you see this and can help me out. I resoldered all the wires and finally got the ground wire soldered to point 12 beside wires 5 and 6. The only thing left that it can be is what I am typing in the dos window and if that is not it then I have no idea. I tried 3 versions on nandpro, b,d, and e and no joy. Nandpro is in the root of my C drive and here is the command I am inserting in the dos window:

C:\users\daddios>C:\Nandpro\Nandpro.exe usb:-r16 dump01.bin and it says cannot detect flash controller cannot continue. So this is where I am stuck for sure. Thanks again, Don

#10 turfster

turfster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Music, Golf, and fixing electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

You should type the command's like this. That may be why it's not working for you. Forget the exe.

nandpro usb: -r16 nand.bin

nandpro usb: -r16 rawkv.bin

nandpro usb: -r16 rawconfig.bin

#11 gottuhaveit

gottuhaveit

X-S Enthusiast

• Validating
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:39 AM

Might be because I am a dumb ass also. Had 1 and 2 wires soldered backwards but to tired to mess with it tonight. Thanks for the help it is appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users