#1 warl0ck

warl0ck

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

hi guys,

i'm just finishing my jtag, but before i do, i'm worried about xbox updates which on new game discs, how can i prevent these from updating the dash?

( i know i grab the dash update from xbins)

the method i've used is http://www.free60.or.....s-jasper).png

thanks in advance.

#2 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

Short of implementing a write-protect switch on your NAND, there's nothing you can do to fully prevent an update other than declining it. You can remove resistor R6T3 from the motherboard to prevent it from blowing e-fuses when updating; this won't prevent the update, but it will allow you to rewrite a hacked kernel to the NAND even after updating.

#3 cavedude

cavedude

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:34 AM

You also never want to use somebody else's hard drive on your xbox. If it has a newer update installed, it'll update you without asking.

#4 eyric101

eyric101

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE(cavedude @ Jan 22 2010, 06:34 PM) View Post

You also never want to use somebody else's hard drive on your xbox. If it has a newer update installed, it'll update you without asking.

Only if you say yes. It will not do it automatically. To me this isn't a problem, never say yes.

#5 cavedude

cavedude

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE(eyric101 @ Jan 23 2010, 12:37 AM) View Post

Only if you say yes. It will not do it automatically. To me this isn't a problem, never say yes.

They must have changed that along the way then. I remember losing a King Kong exploitable xbox due to a hard drive that did not ask me to update. This was several years back of course.

#6 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:55 AM

No system update will ever update your Xbox without prompting you first, even if it's already installed on a hard drive. If it updates without notifying you and you turn off your console in the middle of an update (not knowing that it's being updated), then it'll leave you with a bricked console.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users