#1 hoppla

hoppla

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:22 PM

So I found an old xbox for sale at a local shop and thought I'd try jtagging it. Cracked it opened, soldered the cable for LPT-firmware reading. Read the first 2MB of the NAND six times (512MB jasper..), matched every time. Then I checked the CB and its 6723 (kernel 7363).

So I go ahead and flash the nand with "nandpro lpt: -w2 jasper_6723_hack_for_256mb_512mb.bin", unplug it and try to start it for shits and giggles. I get no picture and just a blinking power LED (no DVD attached). I figure that's normal since I didn't solder the JTAG-wires yet. I then go to solder these wires, and try to boot it again, same shit. No picture just a blinking power LED, tried both composite and HDMI. Doesn't seem to be booting at all sad.gif

Any ideas what could be wrong? I guess the obvious error is that the xbox doesn't like the flashed image, but I can't figure out why. I'll try reflashing it with the backup once I get to borrow my friends monitor . I've checked the board for solder residue/cable crap.

Edited by hoppla, 23 January 2010 - 12:24 PM.

#2 akijikan

akijikan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

nevermind I see you are just talking about flashing xell.

Edited by akijikan, 23 January 2010 - 01:55 PM.

#3 neil321

neil321

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

Just had the exact same booting problem. Although was not trying to boot Xell.

I flashed XBR then flashed rawkv.bin after and never flashed rawconfiq.bin.

#4 hoppla

hoppla

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:57 PM

Bleh seems I can't edit the post. Anyway, I flashed it with the original firmware again and it boots fine. Guess something is broken with xell, I'll try XBR sad.gif

#5 dakaku

dakaku

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

just resolder jtag wires

#6 hoppla

hoppla

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(dakaku @ Jan 23 2010, 04:17 PM) View Post

just resolder jtag wires

Good point, wish I had a multimeter. At least I got it working after resoldering the rf-cable. Cheers smile.gif

#7 pc390

pc390

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

Is doing the 2mb flash and then Xell faster than going for a XBE with the 70mb flash.
I have tried for the last two days comparing loads of 70mb reads for a pair that match!
I have a 256mb Jasper.
I can't get a reliable full backup as I can't get a reliable 70mb one.
At least dumping just 2mb for comparing would be quicker.
I assume if I could get a configuration going that will get an identical 2mb read off the nand then it would be safe to say that same config should do for the 70mb reads too.

#8 dakaku

dakaku

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

It would be quicker, do it at your own risk, but considering you dont get a good backup, there is something wrong...
Shorten the wires, resolder with flux.
If you do the 2mb version, dont forget to read your config (block EF7, 2 blocks).
Verify that what you have written is correct, by rereading.

#9 fahrenheit

fahrenheit

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE(hoppla @ Jan 24 2010, 12:22 AM) View Post

unplug it and try to start it for shits and giggles. I get no picture and just a blinking power LED (no DVD attached).

How did you start it? Power button? Eject button? Controller? (was controller plugged into the front or back USB port?)

I have a 16mb jasper running without a DVDROM drive and currently the only way it will show a picture is by pressing the front power button. Any other method of turning it on results in a blank screen.

Edited by fahrenheit, 23 January 2010 - 10:13 PM.

#10 hoppla

hoppla

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE(pc390 @ Jan 23 2010, 09:07 PM) View Post

Is doing the 2mb flash and then Xell faster than going for a XBE with the 70mb flash.

Yes, just getting a pristine dump of the 2MB at the start of the NAND is a lot faster. Then just boot into gentoo via xell and dump/flash with xbrflash, took me 32 seconds to flash my 512MB nand. tongue.gif

QUOTE(fahrenheit @ Jan 23 2010, 10:12 PM) View Post

How did you start it? Power button? Eject button? Controller? (was controller plugged into the front or back USB port?)

I have a 16mb jasper running without a DVDROM drive and currently the only way it will show a picture is by pressing the front power button. Any other method of turning it on results in a blank screen.

I started it with the power button, but one of my soldering points turned out to be defective, just redid that one and everything worked fine (besides how incredibly buggy the gentoo image is atm). smile.gif

Edited by hoppla, 23 January 2010 - 10:54 PM.

#11 pc390

pc390

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE(hoppla @ Jan 23 2010, 09:51 PM) View Post

Yes, just getting a pristine dump of the 2MB at the start of the NAND is a lot faster. Then just boot into gentoo via xell and dump/flash with xbrflash, took me 32 seconds to flash my 512MB nand. tongue.gif
I started it with the power button, but one of my soldering points turned out to be defective, just redid that one and everything worked fine (besides how incredibly buggy the gentoo image is atm). smile.gif

Hi, thanks for reply.
Do you have a tutorial for this method please. I have searched and read and then read a little more and searched a little more but can't find a comprehensive guide.
Could you also tell me what mode your lpt port is on (SPP, etc).
I am normally ok with these things but the whole JTAG has me stumped at the first hurdle at the moment!
Thanx.

#12 Biaz

Biaz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:17 AM

If there are no error code on the screen, then try reflashing XeLL! Had the exact same problem today, turned out to be a bad flashing of xell.

#13 hoppla

hoppla

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE(pc390 @ Jan 24 2010, 12:00 AM) View Post

Hi, thanks for reply.
Do you have a tutorial for this method please. I have searched and read and then read a little more and searched a little more but can't find a comprehensive guide.
Could you also tell me what mode your lpt port is on (SPP, etc).
I am normally ok with these things but the whole JTAG has me stumped at the first hurdle at the moment!
Thanx.

This one maybe: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=703531

I think my LPT port is on SPP, can't really remember, I'm using an old throwaway computer because its the only one I have with archaic ports like LPT.. and it's back in the storage room atm tongue.gif

#14 StraightShooter

StraightShooter

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:59 AM

Make sure the black line on the diodes are facing the right way. It's probably the J2D2.1 to DB1F1 connection because everything else is relatively easy to do. Are you soldering the diode directly on DB1F1? It's much easier to solder the diode to J2D2.1 and connect the wire to DB1F1 so you could try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users