155 replies to this topic

#1 Sunblood

Sunblood

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

When running a multi-disc game straight from the HDD via XeXMenu, are there functions in place to emulate ejecting the disc and putting in a new one?

I know Lost Odyssey lets you save right before a disc change, so it'd be possible to exit to dash and load the next disc's default.xex, then load the save from there. I'm not sure yet how Mass Effect 2 will work and whether you need disc 2 at a certain story segment or if you need disc 2 to access just certain missions and swapping back and forth will be common.

#2 confusedman09

confusedman09

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:49 PM

In mass effect, i put both disc files into one folder (letting it overwrite common files), works perfect. The one XEX works, and it doesnt even ask for a second disc. biggrin.gif

#3 iEzio

iEzio

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

That's really working? - WoW.

Is this working for every other title, too?

Would be great if this method will work with Final Fantasy XIII. =)

#4 Sunblood

Sunblood

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE(confusedman09 @ Jan 23 2010, 04:49 PM)  

In mass effect, i put both disc files into one folder (letting it overwrite common files), works perfect. The one XEX works, and it doesnt even ask for a second disc. biggrin.gif

Are you sure you got to a point where it would have asked for the other disc?

This would be amazing if true.

#5 confusedman09

confusedman09

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:14 AM

im just as amazed as you guys that it actually worked. I was about to burn it to a disc, when i thought lets give it a shot.

I am 100% sure i was at the disc switching point, as originally it was asking for a second disk, and then gave a dirt disc error straight away. I simply transferred the content from both discs into 1 folder, and overwrote any common files. Now the disk switch thing pops up for half a second, and I can continue playing. Not tried it with any other games yet.

hope i helped smile.gif

#6 jhoff80

jhoff80

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:29 AM

Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder if anyone could write up a guide of how to combine the two ME2 discs and make them into a Games on Demand container with Le Fluffie or something of that sort (if that will work even) because it'd be much more convenient for me (and I'd think others too).

Well, we'll see, still a week before I'll buy it.

Edited by jhoff80, 24 January 2010 - 12:32 AM.

#7 Cerise

Cerise

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:16 AM

The Mass Effect 2 disk change occurs at Illium. I didn't try the combined method; but I might ~ I just installed both disks and when the game asked for the second disk and crashed (Disk is Unreadable); I loaded the second disk and it loaded the auto-save made when I entered that Star System just fine. This is typical of Multi-disk Games; there's a good amount of overlap at the Disk Change point. Infinite Undiscovery was much the same.

#8 danked

danked

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:56 AM

Someone should test this with star ocean, cause at the end you can change disc at will.

#9 ian_hard

ian_hard

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE(danked @ Jan 24 2010, 02:56 PM)  

Someone should test this with star ocean, cause at the end you can change disc at will.

about to give it a go

#10 ian_hard

ian_hard

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

it cant be done the files are all the same on the discs so overwriteing common files ends up with one disc

#11 savagepoop

savagepoop

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:42 AM

been trying to get this working now for the last few hours and its driving me mad...
i put all the files for both disks in the same folder, over wrote all common files but when i use xexmenu or any other dash to launch it i just get "error, this game could not be started"
ive tried copying the first disk then the second also tried copying the second disk then the first. niether way has worked.
any ideas as to what im doing wrong?
game in question is mass effect 2 and im trying to run from a usb hdd

#12 Sunblood

Sunblood

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE(savagepoop @ Jan 27 2010, 11:42 PM)  

been trying to get this working now for the last few hours and its driving me mad...
i put all the files for both disks in the same folder, over wrote all common files but when i use xexmenu or any other dash to launch it i just get "error, this game could not be started"
ive tried copying the first disk then the second also tried copying the second disk then the first. niether way has worked.
any ideas as to what im doing wrong?
game in question is mass effect 2 and im trying to run from a usb hdd

I extracted both discs to the same folder on my PC, skipping any files that were already there. Move the whole folder to hdd1:\Games\Mass Effect 2 and I can run default.xex just fine from the XeXMenu main menu. Areas that require disc 2 will pop up "Please insert Disc 2" for a second, then it disappears and the area loads like normal.

#13 savagepoop

savagepoop

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(Sunblood @ Jan 28 2010, 06:21 AM)  

I extracted both discs to the same folder on my PC, skipping any files that were already there. Move the whole folder to hdd1:\Games\Mass Effect 2 and I can run default.xex just fine from the XeXMenu main menu. Areas that require disc 2 will pop up "Please insert Disc 2" for a second, then it disappears and the area loads like normal.

im re ripping it as we speak as im hoping i just did a bad rip, almost done now tho so should be able to test in the next few mins. all my other games work fine so thats y this has stumped me....

#14 savagepoop

savagepoop

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

hmmm still dont work. just keep getting " the game cannot be started" i tried just putting one disk on the hdd and get same error. tried ripping and copying forza 3 across and that worked fine (it asked me to install disk 2 but i already had it on the hdd, is this normal?)
when my 3.5 inch drive arrives ill try it on there but if that dont work i got no idea whats wrong.

#15 jihaut

jihaut

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(savagepoop @ Jan 28 2010, 09:38 AM)  

hmmm still dont work. just keep getting " the game cannot be started" i tried just putting one disk on the hdd and get same error. tried ripping and copying forza 3 across and that worked fine (it asked me to install disk 2 but i already had it on the hdd, is this normal?)
when my 3.5 inch drive arrives ill try it on there but if that dont work i got no idea whats wrong.

Have you patched the .xex?
For both games?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users