#1 fahrenheit

fahrenheit

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:08 AM

This one is doing my head in...

I've decided to run my Jasper without the DVD-ROM drive and can't seem to find anything remotely helpful regarding stopping the center LED from flashing.

Pin 4 on the DVD power connector (tray status) is apparently -

3.3v = Open
0v = Closed

The dashboard shows the drive status as 'Closed' but there is some other factor that is causing the led to flash.
We know that whenever we eject the tray, the led flashes and when we close the tray it also flashes, so what is it that causes this to be the permanent state when we remove the drive altogether?

I've read someone suggesting grounding pin 4 on the DVD power connector and can confirm this makes zero difference. And other useful suggestions like "put black tape over the smd" also doesn't equal a solution.

I assume the DVD drive is returning something via the SATA connector or the power cable to let the system know everything is just fine. What voltage to which pin will make this flashing nightmare end?

#2 fahrenheit

fahrenheit

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

Well it seems the Sata cables presence makes no difference, so that leaves the DVD power connector to focus on.

I'm assuming that the DVD drive is reporting itself to the south bridge and without it being plugged in the south bridge is responding with the error status? If so, can an appropriate signal be spoofed?

Or is it simply a matter of ensuring there is a suitable 12v/5v/3.3v (or any combination of them?) source running off the DVD-ROM power connector?

Would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

#3 omega232

omega232

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:43 AM

Here's a link to the wiring diagram for the dvd power connecter, dunno if it'll be much help: http://lh5.ggpht.com...p...urce[5].jpg

I'm also running it without the dvd drive but I've just been ignoring it. Not sure if grounding pin 3 would do anything either?

#4 yaazz

yaazz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:23 AM

To stop the blinking you have to join two wires on the dvd power cable together. Cant remember which ones though.

#5 fahrenheit

fahrenheit

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:30 AM

Thanks, I do have that diagram but I'm not entirely sure how the DVD/Eject/South bridge puzzle all fits together.

I imagine grounding pin 3 would cause all sorts of trouble like an open/close loop (thats assuming there is any voltage going to the power connector at all when there is no drive attached?).

What I fear the most is that the southbridge is infact checking the drive for a key, which would mean I'd have to gut an old drive for its board and then find some way to mount it. Hoping not to go down that path.

The goal isn't simply about stopping that pesky center led, I'd also like to be able to boot Xell which isn't currently possible without a DVD drive attached. I don't believe Xell requires an actually drive once it has booted but it certainly needs one to start properly. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting this either.

QUOTE(yaazz @ Jan 25 2010, 02:23 PM) View Post

To stop the blinking you have to join two wires on the dvd power cable together. Cant remember which ones though.

Can you point me in the direction of where you read that? Its certainly not pin 4 + gnd. Thats the first thing I tried.

#6 chevyowner

chevyowner

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:36 AM

link
it was in
3.5" Hdd Motherboard Modification Tutorial

#7 fahrenheit

fahrenheit

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE(chevyowner @ Jan 25 2010, 03:36 PM) View Post

link
it was in
3.5" Hdd Motherboard Modification Tutorial

Outstanding! Thanks for that. Works like a charm.

IPB Image

Very easy to bridge since the pins are both in the same row and I can easily remove it if I need to pop the DVD drive back in.

And Xell boots too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users