71 replies to this topic

#1 nes6502

nes6502

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:23 AM

I was considering porting Nestopia. It will run fullspeed on the Xbox (even in HD with software filters). It wouldn't be a replacement for Mednafen. It would compliment it. There wouldn' be lightgun support (I don't have a TV anymore I could test lightgun support on) or a cheat search engine, but the rest would be manageable.

I doubt there are many games that don't allready run perfectly on Mednafen, but since Nestopia is THE gold standard for NES emulation and runs virtually everything perfectly, I thought I'd ask.

#2 wimpyRBX

wimpyRBX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:41 AM

i know this might be out of place, but heck i'll ask anyway.

while talking about porting nestopia. would it be possible to port it to run multiplatform? meaning not just on xbox1. furthermore would it be manageable to run it as a script or plugin inside xbmc (no matter platform). (this is my emulation dream.. to have the xbmc covering all the work not launching external emus).

about the porting part. the more the merrier is my thought so go for it, but since mednafen is (afaik) cover most aspects i think some will think it's redundant.

#3 xyteam

xyteam

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:54 AM

YES,YES...HELL YES,thats the nes emulator i use on my pc i say go for it sir. cool.gif

#4 weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:00 AM

I would always say yes to a new emulator. But as you said, there aren't that many games (I haven't encountered any) that don't run perfectly on MednafenX.

I think I speak on behalf of the community that the majority would crave the new 1964 source more than anything else. Seeing as Ez0n3 hasn't dropped by in a while, do you think you could give freakdave a hand with Surreal?

#5 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:02 AM

If it's easy to plug in to the videos and artwork packs already established with the XPORT emulators I'd be very happy to have this on the Box as an alternative to the XPORT version. Maybe it will play some of the non-playable games on the spreadsheets.

Would you be interested in making a synopsis for it to NES? We already have the synopsis file ready to go for it, so you'd just have to figure out how to display it like XPORT's emu does. It's one single file for every game.

Here's the newest NES version I've posted: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MGM0FMBC

There have been some updates, but nothing huge at the moment.... just a few game adds. This is basically what it will look like when I get the final one up there.

Also, here's the SNES synopsis if you'd ever be interested in getting that working with ZSNESXBox: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=01HY6IP1

#6 1stmoon

1stmoon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:54 AM

Not surprising everyone here is satisfied with Mednafen.

I wouldn't mind trying a new NES emulator, but i can't imagine the interest for this one to be off-the-charts.

Edited by 1stmoon, 26 January 2010 - 05:55 AM.

#7 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE(nes6502 @ Jan 25 2010, 10:23 PM) View Post

I was considering porting Nestopia. It will run fullspeed on the Xbox (even in HD with software filters). It wouldn't be a replacement for Mednafen. It would compliment it. There wouldn' be lightgun support (I don't have a TV anymore I could test lightgun support on) or a cheat search engine, but the rest would be manageable.

I doubt there are many games that don't allready run perfectly on Mednafen, but since Nestopia is THE gold standard for NES emulation and runs virtually everything perfectly, I thought I'd ask.

dude NES PLEEEASSE DO IT! nestopia would be friggin sweet man. so many extra little things in this emu that is the GOLD standard of nes emulation. the dot crawl and other effects, cycle accurate. PLEASE DO IT! i have hoped to hear someone with your knowledge giving it a go. pop.gif

did i say please do it? lmao there is def interest man. looking forward to hearing where this goes. if i can ill help in any way possible dude!

XT-

#8 Bender_Unit_1

Bender_Unit_1

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:53 AM

Everybody here loves to see releases and effort on the scene.

Myself, I say go for it.
The project is for your satisfaction. If you will have fun doing it and you think it will be rewarding, go for it. I'll use it, and so would many others. Accuracy and playability are beloved by us here. I use your snes emu constantly, and FBL too. They're high quality, very professional; and I'm sure this one would be a wonderful addition to the xbox scene.
And yes, such projects are also about giving something to the scene and showing your work and contributions. And I'm positive you'd have a long page of deserved thank yous for your welcomed work!

And I did like the idea of helping the surreal ce effort. But I know that's off topic.

- Bender

#9 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:44 AM

It wouldn't be a replacement for Mednafen. It would compliment it.

Hey Nes,
I think any time you interject you talents into the community it is (and will be) loved. smile.gif

For this, it hard to say.
What are some of the benefits that would be added, that aren't already in MednafenX- nes...?
I guess I just don't see how it would complement it.
At the same time, I might just be ignorant to the variables.

When it comes to the Scene and my own box, I always welcome new creations/additions and encourage them, but when it comes to my friends and family playing, I know it will be more about user friendliness, and central location. meaning, I try to have one emu per platform on most occasions.

Although, against my beloved new Xport Madmab Ed Emus.
Zsnexbox is still #1 on my box. (personally) For casual players, I think it would just make it harder to choose, yet again.

Would you make another awesome NES Emu...? YES!
But my vote would be for you to put your talent towards other systems such as N64, PSX, Gameboy, or a new Mame build.

I am not aware of your interests in these other platforms and of course it is your soul choice.
But, I do know that any contributions you make will be much appreciated and respected.
Thanks nes. smile.gif

Edited by Mega Man (?), 26 January 2010 - 08:46 AM.

#10 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Sustainability, Playing music, Mountain Biking, Snowboard, Games, Micro Beer, Camping, River Sports
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:53 AM

personally i think we got a good enough nes emu (mednefen). id rather see some of the struggling emus get more help.

a small addition to zsnesxbox to allow rom browsing while listening to background music. as well as neogenesis.
and synapses support.

surreal help (big time f yea!)

and better psx emulation.

nes is doing good on the box. others need help cool.gif

#11 ultimate509

ultimate509

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:40 AM

Have to agree a bit Mednafenx Nes is a pretty solid emu but if you think you can create a better Nintendo emu I say go for it there are a few games that arnt playable for ex atm some pirated games, paper boy 2 (this one has been fixed but the fix hasnt been applied to my knowledge, also a asterix game and some digger t rock game..so again I think the scene can agree with me here what ever you work on would be welcome and much appreciated.

Personally though Id rather have someone like you put your talent else where perhaps a new better MAME emu (something better than coinops w/ a shit load of games better GUI + dont include console patches like whats happening with it now) or even work on the N64 to get that emu up to par...again whatever you choose to work on would be cool in my book thanks for sticking around a bit hell mabey even continue with FBL
.... cool.gif

#12 ultimate509

ultimate509

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Had post again, Im not familiar with any pc emus but if you work on Nestopia can you have it share the roms with Mednafenx kinda like what you did with zsnexbox with the vids..that way well have your emu look up and share 1 nes romlist also do it with the video previews....back to me beer...! wink.gif

#13 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

Mednafen is great but it bugs me that XPort set the default parameters to chop off the top and bottom of the screen on NTSC games. If you can port an emu that doesn't require me to fix this on every single game I launch then you've got my vote.

#14 Barbie_on_Weed

Barbie_on_Weed

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

Go for it! smile.gif

#15 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

I would say YES.

There are a lot of ROMS for NES that I have been unable to run with what is available, mostly hacks... maybe this would be able to run them as my PC version can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users