• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pulck

pulck

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

I'm quite new (and obviously very late) to the weird and wonderful world of Linux on the Xbox. I managed to get hold of a secondhand Xbox very cheaply and I'm trying my best to convert it into a sort of cheap version of Apple's Airport Express. What I want to do is stream audio coming out of my PC wirelessly to my Xbox and thence to my hifi.

I know that in Ubuntu on my PC I can 'share' audio devices via PulseAudio. But what I was wondering is if it would be possible to install PulseAudio on some flavour of Xbox Linux and then use that to capture my shared device. I was thinking of trying to install xUbuntu on the Xbox and trying from there.

Is this a fruitless pursuit or has anyone had success doing something like this?

#2 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:softmods, xbox linux,
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

i have no idea what pulseaudio is, so i wont say anything relating to it.

from what it sounds, you have to options:

setup samba sharing on your host PC and connect your xbox to it via hardwired connection or thru a wireless router plugged into your xbox, or use a 3rd party wireless gaming adapter. doing this will allow you to connect to whatever media is hosted on the PC "on demand" if you will.

or stream media from your host PC constantly, which will lead you to "tune in" to the media thru your xbox. this will allow you to only "tune in" to the media thru a sort of media streaming web server on your host PC.

as long as you have your networking information, either of these situations should be relatively painles.

"should" of course is the operative word, mind you.

setup your host PC shared folders, setup your network shares (samba if on windoze),, connect your xbox to your wireless adapter, boot into DSL, set your IP settings in netcardconf, setup your samba in DSL to connect with your shares on your PC and use whatever media player of your choice to play back the files, wirelessly.

incidentally, you can also boot into DSL, setup your router settings using netcardconf and firefox (192.168.1.1 or whatever your routers host settings page is), then exit DSL and setup your network settings in XBMC and stream without even booting DSL.

hope some of this info is what you were getting at.

#3 pulck

pulck

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

It's been a while since I checked back here but many belated thanks for your reply.

I actually managed to achieve something like what I was after using a clever little Windows app called DSbridge. I posted about it here if anyone else is interested. It required using XBMC rather than Linux on Xbox though.

QUOTE(worldwhore3 @ Feb 24 2010, 01:22 PM) View Post

from what it sounds, you have to options:

setup samba sharing on your host PC and connect your xbox to it via hardwired connection or thru a wireless router plugged into your xbox, or use a 3rd party wireless gaming adapter. doing this will allow you to connect to whatever media is hosted on the PC "on demand" if you will....

This is basically what I already had (via XBMC), but what I was after was a 'headless' Xbox housed in a cupboard and plugged into my hifi. I wanted to be able to stream audio from my Ubuntu PC without ever having to touch my Xbox. i.e. what I wanted was to be able to remote control the Xbox from the PC. In other words, I wanted to use my Xbox as a sort of cheap alternative to Apple's Airtunes.

QUOTE(worldwhore3 @ Feb 24 2010, 01:22 PM) View Post

... or stream media from your host PC constantly, which will lead you to "tune in" to the media thru your xbox. this will allow you to only "tune in" to the media thru a sort of media streaming web server on your host PC.

as long as you have your networking information, either of these situations should be relatively painles.

This second option is exactly what I was after, but I could never work out how to do this from inside Linux on Xbox. If you have any more pointers as to how this is done, I would be very grateful. It would be great if the Xbox could "tune into" ALL audio being output by my Ubuntu PC. This would give me a lot more flexibility in terms of the apps I use to play music on my PC (at the moment I can only use Spotify and Winamp running on Wine).

BTW PulseAudio is able to do exactly this, apparently. The networked Ubuntu machines simply share their audio outputs so that a client computer automatically outputs the audio from a host computer. I've never tried it but I was hoping PulseAudio would run on X-DSL or similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users