Photo

Easiest Tcp/ip Implementation For Openxdk?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 miker00lz

miker00lz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:57 AM

what is the easiest way to go about dropping some TCP support into an openxdk development environment? i've got the xbox packet driver. i've had the idea of writing a TCP stack in the past (non-xbox), but that is a hell of a project to attempt. it would take ages to completely finish and debug, and still probably not work completely right.

i've been putting major thought into developing my own dashboard program to maybe eventually replace ones like unleashx and evolutionx. it just wouldn't even be worth attempting if i couldn't implement TCP though. my main motivation for a new dashboard is that i would be implementing the samba protocol. FTP can be a pain in the ass at times. it would be awesome to just map your xbox partitions as windows drive letters, or mount them in *nix as if it were any other computer sharing folders.

anybody have some advice for the TCP bit? if i can figure something out for that, then i'll be all set. i have many years of network-related programming under my belt, so if i can get a working TCP stack i'm in the home stretch here...

pop.gif

#2 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

Take a look at existing stacks (each one has it's api philosophy) and select your favorite

Personally I needed wattcp 16 bits (earlier version) for ms dos compatibility of calling applications source
but it comes with an odd license not allowing source publishing. So I coded it but I can't give it out.

You may try wattcp 32 bits which has now a more regular license
or the one which seems to be the favorite of all devs : lwip (v1.3.0 I guess)

I don't know lwip at all.

Code very slowly and test a lot each vertical layer...

#3 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

For future's sake, Gentoox Loader - a Cromwell derivative uses lwip and has support for DHCP. It uses the stack to support network booting and web booting of the kernel from a remote site.

#4 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

Forgive me as I am not a long-time Xbox dev and my experience with openxdk is very limited at this point but what is the reason for a tcp stack not having been added? Seeing as how a number of people have implemented a stack for their purposes can we not have one in the development package? When you get devKitPro for GC/Wii development you don't have to hunt down and implement a tcp stack. You can also build C++ code. tongue.gif I am very interested in working with openxdk as being able to build and release Odamex for Xbox on odamex.net would be awesome. It just seems like there are too many missing pieces and my time is stretched thin already trying to get an xdk build ready for Odamex 0.5. One thing I do intend to port over to openxdk is Agar as it is a c-based library dependent on libSDL. But I will not be porting, initially anyway, the Odamex launcher as I am developing it in C++.

#5 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:23 AM

AFAIK, OpenXDK supports C++ from 0.7 release onwards but I could be wrong..

Gentoox Loader is based on Linux and there may be some dependencies but I know the USB stack of OpenXDK borrowed heavily from Linux's Cromwell.

By the way, the SDL library in OpenXDK is not a full port , I think it supports 640x480 only and doesn't have the same capabilities as libSDLx.

openxdkman should know more on the development history of OpenXDK and the reasons behind the lack of the tcp ip stack.

#6 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

I've adapted wattcp 16 bits to xb1 for my own needs (added pppoe support, etc...).
Unfortunately the license is odd and prevents source from being shared.
Not enough free time atm to do anything significant... beside bringing morale support to all!
Legal homebrew on xb1 is less attractive than xdk direct8 usage, that's why motivation is low around openxdk (but I don't despair to release something -minidash with unified api- in future, normally wattcp 16 bits license allows me to publish binary without source).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users