Spamwich

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:36 AM

Hey guys, I must admit I do love the gameplay of some of the bigger name RPGs (fallout, elder scrolls, etc...) As they say it is limitless, I find one limit that is always drawing me away from the game. Their levelling system.

I enjoy playing a more broad but customizable levelling system. First game I ever played that kept me hooked was Gauntlet Legends for N64. where you only had 4 stat classes and you were free to dump points into them at any time you wanted, regardless of level.

I like a game where if I work hard enough at it, I can get every aspect of the game MAXED OUT(without cheats)

I hate to bring this example into this gaming world, but I must admit, it was quite addicting to me at one time... Runescape. If I felt that I was unable to defeat an opponent at any certain time, I could take a step back and level my strength or defence, depending on where it was needed, on lesser foes before I went back and anihillated my enemies.

Another would be some of the final fantasy levellign systems if you can recall.

Other than that, i've not played any games that meet that enjoyment that I am looking for.

So, this is where I ask my question.
Does anyone have any recommendations of games I should take a peek at that will fulfill my desire?

P.S. I am pre-ordering Final Fantasy 13 when it is available.

#2 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:48 AM

Try Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 it was a nice break from Fallout 3 for me and has an extremely captivating story line as well as some pretty good combat. You can make moral decisions in both ME1 and ME2 which will affect the turnout of certain situations some of which had surprised me as I thought I had picked the right choice at times and it ended up biting me in my butt later on. Heck some decisions from ME1 can even carry over into ME2 if you import your character from ME1.

You can't jump but that is really an unneeded feature in a game like this as it utilizes the 'cover' system a lot like gow just a bit slower passed. Though there are some differences in ME2 than in ME1 such as in ME1 your health will regenerate as well as your shields, but takes longer. In ME2 your health and shields regenerate far quicker, but you will also lose health a lot faster if you do not take advantage of the cover given to you. Something I think is an addition over its predecessor as my tactics are being refined a lot more. Will leveling up in ME1 you could reach up to level 50 in your first play through and unlock the best weapons in the game and for the next time you decide to redo the game the cap is raised to 60, though there are a lot of upgrades that are given to you that I managed to do without just fine, such as pistol and surprisingly specter training. In Me2 the cap is at 30 but your choices for upgrades are far less numerous and are only limited to the special features of the class you picked and the powers your crew has. I still haven't beat ME2 yet but from what I've been seeing it blows most rpg/fps's out of the water, though Fallout 3 will always have a special place in my heart. wink.gif

But generally speaking you can't max out all your stats, but you can get pretty darn close.

Some vids to spark your interest:

ME1 Trailer

ME2 E3 Trailer

hope this helps with your decision. smile.gif

Edited by red_ring_of_box, 04 February 2010 - 03:50 AM.

#3 Poopmonkey

Poopmonkey

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:28 AM

Well I gotta say I absolutely LOVED Fallout 3 and Oblivion. The thing about those games that is unlike Jap RPGs is that you don't feel as if you are grinding. I mean that's what really turned me off with Final Fantasy games. They are just constantly so linear. And Mass Effect, I gave it a chance, but the game was horribly confusing for me. I mean perhaps I missed something but I felt like I didn't grasped the story since I didn't feel like I had a proper introduction to this story and the game in general just kinda went through it till I just got pissed off since I died and it reverted me to like really early on and I just quit it after that. But that's just me.

Edited by Poopmonkey, 04 February 2010 - 04:33 AM.

#4 Ajamax

Ajamax

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:00 AM

I'd never tried ME1 or ME2 but after seeing the trailers i'll be trying out both of them tomorrow.. Thanks for the info!

#5 Spamwich

Spamwich

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

I totally forgot about fable 2 and the rumored fable 3. I played fable 1 for ages, but still yet to play fable 2

Just tried the demo and the dog is pretty sweet

Edited by Spamwich, 04 February 2010 - 11:09 AM.

#6 Haygar

Haygar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Spamwich @ Feb 4 2010, 09:08 PM) View Post

I totally forgot about fable 2 and the rumored fable 3. I played fable 1 for ages, but still yet to play fable 2

Just tried the demo and the dog is pretty sweet

Yeah, but watch her. I heard she's a real bitch! laugh.gif Sorry, had to throw that in.

You might want to have a look at Dragons Age Origins, haven't got my hands on it yet but it's by the same guys that made Mass Effect, KOTOR and Balders Gate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users