hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

After flashing the tsop does the hdd still get locked as per original and will it be more likely to accept a pc dvd rom replacement ?

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,743 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:43 AM

the HD will still be locked, but you can unlock it and it will still boot

and you can replace the dvd-rom with a PC drive, but there are some issues with that, youll need a splitter to get power from the HD plug, and the tray_in, tray_out, disc_in, disc_out signals wont work, so IIRC the only way to get it to read a disc (without wiring up the signal leads to the new drive) is to reboot

#3 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Feb 5 2010, 12:43 PM) View Post

the HD will still be locked, but you can unlock it and it will still boot

and you can replace the dvd-rom with a PC drive, but there are some issues with that, youll need a splitter to get power from the HD plug, and the tray_in, tray_out, disc_in, disc_out signals wont work, so IIRC the only way to get it to read a disc (without wiring up the signal leads to the new drive) is to reboot

I would have thought that if you went to the trouble of compiling a new bios that hdd locking would be left out along with the tray in/out disc in/ out need, i'm thinking of putting the guts of one of my many xbox's into a custom case with a pc dvd rom.

#4 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,743 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE(hangover @ Feb 5 2010, 05:17 AM) View Post

I would have thought that if you went to the trouble of compiling a new bios that hdd locking would be left out along with the tray in/out disc in/ out need, i'm thinking of putting the guts of one of my many xbox's into a custom case with a pc dvd rom.

the lock is on the HD itself, flashing a new bios doesnt unlock the drive, it just removes the need for it to be locked (so you can unlock it with configmagic and not get error 5)

as for the tray_in tray_out stuff, those are physical signals from the dvd drive, a new bios cant remove the need for those anymore than it can turn the dvd drive into a bluray drive

#5 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Feb 6 2010, 12:02 PM) View Post

the lock is on the HD itself, flashing a new bios doesnt unlock the drive, it just removes the need for it to be locked (so you can unlock it with configmagic and not get error 5)

as for the tray_in tray_out stuff, those are physical signals from the dvd drive, a new bios cant remove the need for those anymore than it can turn the dvd drive into a bluray drive

I think you are missing what i am saying, since it is pretty much not an MS product anymore there is no need to lock the hdd, pc hdd's arent locked so there is no need for it. Of coure an xbox hdd needs to be unlocked first but since this is a bios function once the bios is replaced there is no longer that function unless it is written into the replacement bios. Same with the dvd , of course it wont make it a bluray but again if the tray and disc functions arent required then it doesnt need to be written into the bios. So essentially it is just a basic pc motherboard and as such should function as one if the bios is written that way.

#6 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,743 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE(hangover @ Feb 5 2010, 07:24 PM) View Post

Same with the dvd , of course it wont make it a bluray but again if the tray and disc functions arent required then it doesnt need to be written into the bios. So essentially it is just a basic pc motherboard and as such should function as one if the bios is written that way.

the dvd drive is one way the xbox differs from a PC, it uses the yellow cable for power and well as communication with the motherboard, a PC drive (unless physically modified) does not use the yellow cable and as such cannot be a perfect replacement for the xbox dvd drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users