Jacob24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

Okay so i have a console here with me. It had 3 red lights. opened the console i ive never seen a console so filthly before inside. anyways cleaned it up.

Then started repair with the x-clamps.
I then switched it on and found the error code had gone from 0021 to 0002. Okay so i thought id undo the clamps abit see if i can get back the orig error..... well it would seem i cant. And so i figured i would take the heatsink right off and see what code i get.

I got an infinate amount of different numbers one after the other. Not your standard 4 digit error code.

Anyone have any ideas where i should go from here?

Thanks

#2 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:22 PM

Check the MOSFETs smile.gif

#3 Jacob24

Jacob24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

Okay this may seem newbish. but which Mosfet am i looking at, is it the 2 between the RF board and the CPU?. and how to i tell if they are blown? (obviously with a multimete, but which legs do i read and what readings am i looking out for.)

Also another update. i rested the heatsinks on top of the CPU and GPU and it went back to 0021

Edited by Jacob24, 05 February 2010 - 03:55 PM.

#4 Jacob24

Jacob24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:55 PM

Anyone wish to help me find which MOSFETs im looking for and how do i go about testing them?

#5 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(Jacob24 @ Feb 8 2010, 12:55 AM) View Post

Anyone wish to help me find which MOSFETs im looking for and how do i go about testing them?

These are the first to check and replace:

IPB Image

#6 Jacob24

Jacob24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

Thanks. How do i go checking that they are working? do i have to desolder them to check them and if so what is the process of checking them?

Thanks

#7 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(Jacob24 @ Feb 10 2010, 02:32 PM) View Post

Thanks. How do i go checking that they are working? do i have to desolder them to check them and if so what is the process of checking them?

Thanks

You will need a voltmeter (or multimeter) and it is not necessary to desolder them to check them. A multimeter is allways handy smile.gif

#8 Jacob24

Jacob24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

okay i switched the console on and started getting smoke cos i made a silly mistake and bridged over a small resistor thats sits just under the gpu heat sink on the edge. So anyways i stoped it from bridging over and checked the voltage of the two MOSFETs mentioned.

one was showing 12.something and the other was 10.somthing. (can get the actual reading if needed)

Anyways the console is showing 1 red light and E74 now. Do you think its cos of that resistor? I can replace it if needed.

#9 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

First we need accurate measurements from your readings, then it should be wise to tell us the position code of the "resistor" and post a photo if possible.

P.S.: If you see E74 on screen, means that the situation is better than I thought.

#10 Jacob24

Jacob24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

Okay Here are the readings.
MOSFET number 06F1 is showing 13.7V - 13.20V on the left leg and 4.80V on the right leg. (measured from the large tab at the back to the smaller legs at the front.
MOSFET number 06F2 is showing 10.80V - 10.90V on the left leg and 4.6V on the right leg.

RESISTOR number C2E2 - is showing 52.8 Ohms
RESISTOR number C2E8 - is also showing 52.8 Ohms

Ill try and get a close up pic of it.

#11 supersdude1691

supersdude1691

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

I'm almost positive, and correct me if i'm wrong, but if the placement code starts with "C", it's a Capacitor, not a Resistor.

#12 Jacob24

Jacob24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

You might be right actually. I always thought they were resistors but they might not be. Woops. Ill get a pic in a sec

#13 Jacob24

Jacob24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

Here are 2 pics
I have many boards i can to get another one of these componates if need be, and i have the correct tools for removeing SM componates.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#14 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:13 AM

WOW... that's the most dirty board I have even seen, and I have seen lots! First you must use a solder cleaning fluid (you can find easily to a electronics store), without oil. This will clean your board from any unwanted residues etc. Then check again the capacitors, but seems like someone tried to solder them allready, or it became like this itself? Anyway I see some dark liquidfrom the C2E2, and that might mean that the capacitor has leaked and has to be replaced. I would replace that anyway in your position.

#15 Jacob24

Jacob24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

haha ive had lots of motherboards that are worse than that! Anyways i will replace that Capacitor and let you know what happens next! The damage to that cap is because i shorted it out. It started smoking... it just wasnt my day! anywho im ill at the moment so maybe later on today ill get a chance to replace it. Ive got a new tweezer type soldering iron so it should be a breeze!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users