#46 trentdadi

trentdadi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE(Alein_Atryda_III @ Feb 5 2010, 09:27 PM) View Post

Well, simple. Just make it so new features aren't visible on classic Xbox. For example the cap. Make it so X360 players can even use 1.000.000 friends, but original Xbox will still see only 1st 100. Not that hard to code. I call it lazy way out. Especially because they were offering Xbox originals on X360.

That's just one thing. I am sure the complexity of the LIVE service is above and beyond 99.9% of the people that visit this site. There is no telling what small or large details are forcing Microsoft to do this. They can't just go in and start changing lines of code. You could turn a small problem into a huge one and then you have even more pissed off customers.

These developers working for Microsoft aren't the lazy idiots they are sometimes made out to be. It would be more accurate to say they are geniuses and experts in their line of work.

It's the people higher up in the chain of command that are the idiots.

You can still play the originals... just not online. Look at the bright side. XBC and Kai will be busier now.

Edited by trentdadi, 06 February 2010 - 04:58 AM.

#47 GOTitCUZiMODDED

GOTitCUZiMODDED

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:52 AM

Glad I sold off those 35 XBox Live 1 month codes last year! Thanks XBox, it's been a great run. I'll catch you guys on the Kai side.

#48 CompFreak07

CompFreak07

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:21 AM

First I would like to say I don't necessarily agree with them stopping support for the original Xbox & games. I would like a full explanation as to what changes are being made to cut the support. That is probably to much to ask them for though! I am very pissed at the fact that they did not give this statement prior to pulling all the DLC for the original Xbox. My friends and I would occasionally fire up Halo 2 and play LAN for fun. Now we can still do this but without all the new maps that I paid for back in the day because I had to get a new Xbox 360 because of the RROD and haven't got around to re-downloading all my content. One of the reasons i believe they might of decided to cut support is, stated by GOTitCUZiMODDED, many people still use and/or sell the two month Xbox live codes (that don't expire) found in many original Xbox games and then transfer them to their Xbox 360. Anyways thanks again Microsoft for pissing thousands of people off yet again!

#49 signal-to-noise-ratio

signal-to-noise-ratio

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE(Hyper_Eye @ Feb 5 2010, 03:12 PM) View Post

I just checked and all DLC for original Xbox titles has been pulled. Thanks for the warning Microsoft.

Thanks for heads up! Now I have to find my old xbox with all halo 2 maps. Microsoft is starting to become like EA. Pga Tour 2005 no longer online.
And has anyone been able to play orig bad company for 360 online? That game was fun.

#50 xjustsumloserx

xjustsumloserx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:46 AM

it's fucking stupid. No one has 100 friends (of value that they play with regularly) and needs more. I still play Conker Live and Reloaded, Halo 2 and my friends and I were going to start playing phantom dust again. Another BS move from Microsoft. One of my biggest complaints is there will be no way to get the DLC for these games anymore. Most people don't know, but there is a gltich that makes DLC on many original xbox games "expire" if the game is not played within like 3 months. Last time I logged onto Mechassault 2 the DLC was damaged AGAIN, so I had to redownload it. BAD MOVE.

#51 signal-to-noise-ratio

signal-to-noise-ratio

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Feb 5 2010, 07:20 PM) View Post

This is a bit shitty IMHO. I liked having the option to fire up a bit of Summit Strike or Halo on Xbox1 whenever the mood took me. The BC support for 360 is terrible and most of the games I loved playing don't seem to work on my setup. Even though they're on the list and supposedly supported they still don't run on my PAL monitor over HDMI.
Maybe it's just me but I can't understand why anyone would need or realistically want 100+ friends? huh.gif . Is it going to be like Myspace or Facebook where people just collect a bunch of random friends they never speak to or play with?.

Ghost Recon 2 is one of the greatest games I have ever played hands down.

They either invented firefight(hold the line) mode or it was one of the first games to have it and having an AR with signle to semi to full auto was awesome. We used to get parties together online and do the clear the map of npcs missions with no respawns. Some of the most fun I have ever had on a console. I like COD4 and Mw2 but they don't hold a candle to GRecon2. Peninsula was an awesome map. I don't remember ever getting upset during Ghost Recon. Total different gaming experience similar to BF2 which was also very very fun played the hell outta the demo online on orig xbox.

If people play missions of GRecon2 on Kai I may have to reinstall it on my pc.
Nice to see people still play BF2 on 360.

I also notice GRecon2 plays like crap on 360 sound is speed up.

Edited by signal-to-noise-ratio, 06 February 2010 - 06:53 AM.

#52 viperware

viperware

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:54 AM

Microsoft @ All their loyal customers:

"F*@k Y0u!"

At least that's what I get from all of that.

#53 Code-Red

Code-Red

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

Please, all you guys complaining here are the EXTREME small minority of the mast Xbox Live community. The Xbox is 8 years old, it's time to pull the plug. Don't act like this isnt the first time something like this has happened.... and it certainly won't be the last.

To clear a few things up:

1. Sega never officially released their SDK to the public, EVER. Anyone who had their hands on KatanaSDK or a Devkit did so by the same means that Xbox XDK and Devkit users get theirs. Microsoft will not ever release any of their proprietary programming or hardware so .05% of a community they don't want to be involved with (piracy, hacking) asks for it.

2. The original Live service is used by what.... lets be generous and say 10,000 individuals people a month. What does the 360 attract? Something like 3 million? And you want to hold them down so you can continue playing last generation games on a dated platform? Get real.

3. Microsoft is shutting the original Xbox Live down to further benefit loyal, paying Xbox Live users. I'm sorry to say, but the vast majority of us on these forums aren't here only for emulators and homebrew, like it or not. The fact you guys are trying to argue legalities and loyalty, when you turn around and hack the Xbox and 360 is two-faced and hypocritical.

Now before you go hitting the reply button with an intense rage, re-read my post, and let it sink in a bit. What you guys are asking is a bit ridiculous. I'd say the fact MS left the original Live on for the Xbox for so long was a gratuity. I highly doubt you'd have seen that from any other system manufacturer.

#54 pu1se

pu1se

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

Have to say I'm a bit upset by this. If it was absolutely necessary, whatever, but I will miss firing up unreal championship 2 and finding 1 person playing online and battle it out. I loved that game so much, it will be missed sad.gif I so wish they would make another game similar, loved how they melded the melee with the gunfighting.

#55 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

Code-Red, let me explain a few things.

First, for people who continue to use their original Xbox on Live there will be a mourning period. Did we know that this was going to happen one day? Of course we did. Are we sad about it? Of course we are. Let us feel grief for the loss of something we appreciated. I pre-ordered Xbox Live and remember fondly the first time I fired it up. It really revolutionized online gaming in the console market. A little sadness for the end of what many of us would consider a great era of gaming is healthy and expected.

Second, just because you mod your console so you can steal games doesn't mean the rest of us do. We open the hardware MS has built up to its true potential. There is nothing hypocritical here. I own both an Xbox and a 360. That is loyalty. What I do with the hardware once it is in my home is my business (or at least it should be.)

Third, MS never gave us Live. We payed for every month we spent on it (and likely many we didn't.) You act as if they are discontinuing a free service. It has never been free. The least they could have done was warn us enough in advance to get any DLC we want before they removed it. Removing all the DLC before making the announcement was pretty underhanded. It was a bad move in my opinion. I have had an active account since launch day. I have payed plenty of money into Live (not to mention the fact that I bought almost 40 original Xbox games during the life of the console and have about 30 for the 360 as well.) We should be able to pull down the DLC.

The bottom-line is that I don't see many here arguing that we should fight this decision by MS. They have already said they will make it right for those who have paid for Live and only use it on their original Xbox. They supported the console 5 years after its death. I am quite satisfied with the Live support that was provided for the Xbox. We are disappointed though and we would like to take some time to express our sadness about the end of Xbox Live support on the original Xbox. So stop pissing in our Cheerios and move on if this change doesn't affect you or you don't care.

#56 Code-Red

Code-Red

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Hyper_Eye @ Feb 6 2010, 04:56 AM) View Post
Second, just because you mod your console so you can steal games doesn't mean the rest of us do. We open the hardware MS has built up to its true potential. There is nothing hypocritical here. I own both an Xbox and a 360. That is loyalty. What I do with the hardware once it is in my home is my business (or at least it should be.)

Don't play coy with me Hyper. I've been on this forum just as long as you have, and while I don't have the post count, I do know, for the most part, what the majority of the people on this forum do with their Xboxes.

If you'd like me to go through and do up a little chart of every member in this thread who's alluded to, or talked about 360 piracy in the past to prove my point, would that solve anything? Not really. So don't be "the pot calling the kettle black", telling me I steal games while everyone else here is only here for the emulators and homebrew rolleyes.gif.

My point is, is that simply by modifying your Xbox you are violating Microsoft's ToS, plain and simple. Doesn't matter if it's in the comfort of your own home. Coming on here, in this thread, and taking pot shots at MS for shutting down an 8 year online gaming console's network (when the general life expectancy of a console is 5 years max) is what I am addressing.

P.S. My response was mainly in reply to posts like viperware and luthor349's posts.

#57 InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:17 AM

For all of you worrying about Downloadable Content, just google "Offline Xbox Live Downloadable Content [DLC] Installers" and click on the first result. (Digiex)

Harcroft, the guy who has made all the installers has spent a lot of money on DLC, Xbox Live and games to make this freely available to everyone. If you have any DLC for games he doesn't you should really get in contact with him as he can make an installer for your content which will resign it for use on any Xbox.

Now DLC has been pulled from Live the community should pull together to help preserve it.

#58 CompFreak07

CompFreak07

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

Hyper_Eye, you couldn't have said it any better. It isn't that we are pissed they are stopping Xbox live for original Xbox console/games, we knew it was coming eventually. The thing that upset me most as I stated in my last post was that they took down all DLC for the original Xbox games before the announcement that they were flipping the switch, so to speak.

Code-Red, I am not so sure about a couple statement's you have made in your post but they aren't worth arguing about. I would like to say that I believe that most people on this forum are people who hack/mod there console to get the true benefit that we believe we should of got from day one. I have been with this site for many many years and this is, in my opinion, the best website for anything related to Xbox hacks/mods. Thanks Xbox-Scene and I am sure there will be more to come.

InsaneNutter, that would be great if it were also for the Xbox 360!

Edited by CompFreak07, 06 February 2010 - 11:23 AM.

#59 danthaman673

danthaman673

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Modding and Gaming 24/7
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

This is bullsh*t M$ is just money grabbing as usual by cutting Xbox1 support they can save money/staff to use elswhere. They know it's at a time when ppl are least likely to complain as they only 'implied' supporting the netwrok indefinately. They also know now they can put ALL the original games in XBLA games on demand and ppl will buy them given their harware is no longer being suported also. Perhaps they're going to strengthen network security (xbox1 won't be able to accept a higher form of encryption without jarring etc..)
Bastards, We should all hack whats left of the 1st xbox and start our own network and servers, it should be do-able. Evo-xbox-live perhaps?? ph34r.gif

#60 GmoneyGrip

GmoneyGrip

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

This probably has to do with microshaft's losses here lately. They probably are axing the dead service to the xbox 1 seeing is how its EOL'd. Id say they are losing more money keeping it up than they are making.

This is what happens when the community supports privatizing servers.With the processing power of what we have today and our bandwidth increases theres no reason servers couldnt be hosted locally on our machines. That though would cut out the middleman profit who is only gonna keep it up if its profiting.

I remember the days you could buy a game bring it home and host your own games as well as ip connect with friends servers. This contributed to game hacks though and always having to make sure to update tthe server anti cheats.Love to see these days come back on whatever platform.

Windows 7 isnt even pulling them out of the losses.I think Microshaft is now seeing that it isnt very profitable to be in the console business.With constant RnD to thwart piracy and taking losses on selling equipment that is substandard.I believe there about done with the 360 and if they continue to make consoles expect to see a new xbox announced within 2 years.

The only positive money they could make is off xbl.With the advertisements your memberships which really should give you nothing than you already have by purchasing the game/or console.Netflix....notice how they dont give you the option to pull that from a media center xtender.Demos? whats wrong with downloading a demo online and putting it on a disc to play.DLC...with memory sticks theres no reason you couldnt download it from the web and install it on xbox.

Microshaft has built a false empire on xbl.The sheer fact you have paid for a game you cant play with friends and have to shell out more money to connect to them is a insult.You pay 3 times to play the game online: the game,your provider,and live service. How many ppl you want in your pockets before you start to get really mad and how many more you gonna let in in the future.The games full features are only yours as long as you keep paying for it.One thing that hasnt plauged pc yet although there are MMOs.

I think microsoft is once again letting down its customers with this move.8 years of xbox1 service total and we are comming up on 5 for the 360.So with the current figures laid out expect a new xbox soon and eol on 360 possibly a couple years after.Microshaft is hurting keeping thing alive out of loyalty isnt good for business.Then again neither is not supporting games note taken from vivindi universal.

I have a xbox360 its in parts in the floor it was free had to fix rrd made my own hd clip because i didnt want to get screwjobed by purchasing one of thier HDs.Its awaiting some other love b4 i put it back together.Its only a hobby machine.I have had almost every game and cpu system known to man since the late 70's
seen alot of ppl get shafted.One thing has stayed fairly constant though....PC gaming same net service still there for net games made at the beginning of time.If M$ isnt gonna give you what you want you can always join the dark side.Quit funding ppl that are gonna end up screwing maybe not you but others loyal to thier service.

P.S. there are vpn clients out there that can forego dedicated servers on pc. CODMW or games of the like that connect to windows live or similar can be bypassed to play with friends directly. In the end its all about the game and what you want to have not the platform.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users