X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(luther349 @ Feb 7 2010, 11:47 PM) View Post

i dunno the details between xbox live and 360 live. but removing legacy support from 360 live pretty much slams the door on hacking live with the original sdk. the original xbox sdk was leaked a doesn't and a half times and no live hacks ever happened.

but the issue isnt with the servers anyways. its the games. even if we got the sdk we would somehow need to change all the games to connect to the new dns. as you said they probably still use the same dns they did back then.

Put a router directly in front of it running ddwrt as someone mentioned and the dns server enabled in dd-wrt.
Change dns cache to point to the ip you want instead.

Example dd-wrt code this puts a file into hosts file on dd-wrt
CODE
Code:
wget -O - http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt | grep 127.0.0.1 | sed -e '2,$s/127.0.0.1/0.0.0.0/g' -e 's/[[:space:]]*#.*$//' > /etc/hosts
logger "$0: Hosts-file downloaded"

stopservice dnsmasq
startservice dnsmasq
logger "$0: DNSMasq restarted"

from here

http://www.dd-wrt.co...pic.php?t=20346

Edited by signal-to-noise-ratio, 08 February 2010 - 07:07 PM.

#77 juggahax0r

juggahax0r

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE(Code-Red @ Feb 6 2010, 03:12 AM) View Post

Microsoft is shutting the original Xbox Live down to further benefit loyal, paying Xbox Live users. I'm sorry to say, but the vast majority of us on these forums aren't here only for emulators and homebrew, like it or not. The fact you guys are trying to argue legalities and loyalty, when you turn around and hack the Xbox and 360 is two-faced and hypocritical.

I would have to agree with you here , i know you got flamed after you said that. Their is no way for anyone here to defend themselves and say that they are not using this for piracy , you think anyone believes that you only burn games you own so you can play them? taking a risk of being banned from live just to save your precious games , please!!! The only hack/mods that are out have to do with piracy even running emulators is piracy unless you own the roms and copied them yourself and i highly doubt that , although hacking even the NAND with modified code is illegal because of software licensing , however that is something i strongly dissagree with , the MS EULA that is , piracy on the other hand is a personal choice i don't care about a multi-billion dollar company losing profits. Homebrew has started to take off , i am more into being able to run linux on the 360 and with full 3d support would kick some serious ass , but until now piracy is the ONLY goal of modding the 360 no homebrew was ever capable unless you had the rare opportunity of having an exploitable dash for the king kong exploit. The same goes for the original xbox , the modding still revolves around playing illegally copied games , installing them too your harddrive , the key difference is that with the original it their was much more homebrew from the start of the modding not just piracy. I can't say i never modded my 360 with firmware , and played burned games , im simply saying anyone who tries to defend anything dealing with a DVD drive Mod , as not being piracy is either stupid or doesn't actually know what piracy is. Oh and something on topic as far as the Live service being cut too , yea it sucks but the original is old news , i honestly didn't even know you could get on live with it still , and i never did get on live with my original , i only bought one too softmod , too bad a softmod will never be possible on the 360. Oh and also losing your DLC is bullshit , just gives you a heads up on whats going to happen when they phase out the 360 in 10 years haha yea right try another , i give them 4 years before they make a new machine the new technology will be too great for them to wait 10 years. Does anyone know how much piracy is possible with the PS3 is it running as rampant as it does with the 360?

Edited by juggahax0r, 09 February 2010 - 12:13 AM.

#78 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE(juggahax0r @ Feb 8 2010, 05:12 PM) View Post
A bunch of useless dribble...

Sorry but you are just as wrong as Code-Red. Just because you can't see the forest for the trees doesn't mean nobody else can. Piracy is not the reason for modification here. If it were why would anyone bother to push the system beyond that single goal? Why would so many users here have spent so many thousands of hours porting open-source games, developing homebrew software, and making fantastic emulators? How about the many many people that mod an Xbox for XBMC? What you are doing is called "projection". You pirate and you can't see anyone else having a modded console and not stealing games so you project that mentality onto other people. You are both still wrong and the point is still completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Edited by Hyper_Eye, 09 February 2010 - 02:33 AM.

#79 RMM

RMM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(juggahax0r @ Feb 9 2010, 12:12 AM) View Post

I would have to agree with you here , i know you got flamed after you said that. Their is no way for anyone here to defend themselves and say that they are not using this for piracy , you think anyone believes that you only burn games you own so you can play them? taking a risk of being banned from live just to save your precious games , please!!! The only hack/mods that are out have to do with piracy even running emulators is piracy unless you own the roms and copied them yourself and i highly doubt that , although hacking even the NAND with modified code is illegal because of software licensing........

What is the deal with you two guys? Yes there is piracy but what does that have to do with people being unhappy about Microsoft discontinuing Xbox live for the original Xbox? Your replies have no relation to the subject at hand.

#80 _zlinky

_zlinky

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:01 AM

Btw, is anyone else having trouble connecting to Xbox live on their Xbox1? I can't even get into my old Xbox1 account right now.

#81 juggahax0r

juggahax0r

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(Hyper_Eye @ Feb 8 2010, 08:30 PM) View Post

Sorry but you are just as wrong as Code-Red. Just because you can't see the forest for the trees doesn't mean nobody else can. Piracy is not the reason for modification here. If it were why would anyone bother to push the system beyond that single goal? Why would so many users here have spent so many thousands of hours porting open-source games, developing homebrew software, and making fantastic emulators? How about the many many people that mod an Xbox for XBMC? What you are doing is called "projection". You pirate and you can't see anyone else having a modded console and not stealing games so you project that mentality onto other people. You are both still wrong and the point is still completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Ok did you actually read what was written buddy. The only thing i referred to as piracy is the DVD mod and it is plain and simple the only single-goal of modding the DVD drive is to play burned games. I am definitely a big supporter of homebrew running on the 360 , it is a shame that MS has no soul and will not allow us to with our machines as we please. I am 1 of the people who mods the xbox for xbmc , and actually i have gentoox installed as well , you can't honestly say you don't think most of the people just want to be able to play burned games that they illegally downloaded on their xbox it's simply what is being done. If the homebrew were more focused on alternate operating systems and actually doing something interesting on a larger scale with it i might have a different opinion. Even the new "jtag" hack is still based around piracy , you can now play your games on any HDD with no disc , how is that not piracy? Whatever i know that one will open up homebrew in a big way even if some do just want to be pirates arrrgg.you can run linux now and i am looking forward to them getting a hardware accellerated graphics driver for the 360 going that will kick ass , but you clearly did not actually read what was written. I'm done this isn't even a discussion about piracy , or homebrew.

#82 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(juggahax0r @ Feb 9 2010, 02:00 AM) View Post
Ok did you actually read what was written buddy.

I always read posts that I reply to.

The only thing i referred to as piracy is the DVD mod and it is plain and simple the only single-goal of modding the DVD drive is to play burned games.

The first step in modding these consoles is to find a vulnerability that can be exploited. That is the way in. It just happens that the DVD firmware was the first vulnerable part of the system they were able to find, exploit, and utilize. If piracy were the only goal they would have stopped right there. But they have not. A lot of work continues to open the system further and further and allow for more and more to be done with it. This is the process.

I am definitely a big supporter of homebrew running on the 360 , it is a shame that MS has no soul and will not allow us to with our machines as we please.

I don't put this on MS. It is good for them to secure their system to minimize the theft of IP and cheating. It helps us out as well. It requires that people who want to mod meet a minimum level of intelligence which is good for us if they choose to be a regular part of the community.

I am 1 of the people who mods the xbox for xbmc , and actually i have gentoox installed as well

I have been a Linux junkie for 10 years and a Gentoo junkie for at least 7 of them and I use it as my main platform (My youtube channel, which can be found from the link in my sig, has a lot of videos of games running in Gentoo Linux.) I also develop *nix software for a living. It is great to see people still wanting to run Linux on their Xbox. It works great as a server or multi-purpose desktop. It also makes a great HTPC with one of the best media center applications ever in XBMC.

you can't honestly say you don't think most of the people just want to be able to play burned games that they illegally downloaded on their xbox it's simply what is being done.

I wouldn't want to speculate as to what individuals seek to gain by coming here. I will say that anyone who comes in here looking for help pirating games or other software deserve a boot. But there is a difference between attacking an individual who is an obvious pirate and claiming the entire community here is mostly tasked with and concerned with making it possible to pirate games. That is not the goal here. If it were the amount of work done would be much less than has been invested so far. What would the reason be in making games, porting games, and producing fantastic emulators on the system? Why the effort to make it possible to run that stuff in any convenient way? People who develop in this community are skilled developers as that is required to do anything of any significance. Developers of such quality are likely to have good jobs. If I spend an hour working on something in the open-source community or something on Xbox (which are two things that take a lot of my time) that is an hour I could be popping something off the queue of the tasks I have on the todo lists at work. That 1 hour at work would buy me a fairly new game. An hour and a half would buy me a brand new next-gen game. So when I sat down Sunday morning with my cup of coffee and started working on my Xbox port of Odamex and then spent all day (because I wanted to be able to show something before the day ended) until I was ready to wind down for bed cranking on it I would have been able to buy pretty much all the games I am interested in at the moment. It just simply wouldn't be worth it to put in all the work required to get the Xbox mods to where they are, get the 360 to where it is, write all the different software, games, and emulators if the purpose were simply piracy.

If the homebrew were more focused on alternate operating systems and actually doing something interesting on a larger scale with it i might have a different opinion.

It is a game console. In my opinion the focus should be on exactly what it traditionally was: writing games for it, porting games to it, and producing fantastic emulators on it. The software that is available for it is good but a lot of it compliments the gaming aspect of the system. I am not interested in facebook from my Xbox. It is Microsofts mindset that they should implement all these features that don't advance the gameplay experience in any way or even have anything to do with games. But they are willing to kick out a loyal group of customers to continue on that path. That is the wrong perspective. I like the gaming focus.

Even the new "jtag" hack is still based around piracy , you can now play your games on any HDD with no disc , how is that not piracy?

Playing a game on your HDD without inserting the disc is not piracy. It is convenience and faster load-times. If you go into the game menu on my Xbox you will find about 40 games. You can then look in the cabinet below it and find each one in excellent condition. The condition of them is so great because I never have to take them out (except to play Live.) Also I can browse through all my games and quickly switch between them. That is greatly convenient. Playing a game you don't own off your hdd is piracy. That is a big difference. Again, the feature has legitimate uses that are overwhelmingly the reason for the feature.

Whatever i know that one will open up homebrew in a big way even if some do just want to be pirates arrrgg.you can run linux now and i am looking forward to them getting a hardware accellerated graphics driver for the 360 going that will kick ass , but you clearly did not actually read what was written. I'm done this isn't even a discussion about piracy , or homebrew.

Again, I read your post. The detail you provided clearly was not enough to warrant the response I am giving you now. It is not a reflection of my disregard for what you are writing. It is a reflection on the quality and validity of the two posts. The premise is still wrong either way but there was enough substantive bits to this post to warrant this kind of response as opposed to my original one. I actually had a much bigger response that went into even more detail than this but the forum was messed up for a bit and I couldn't post it. It was lost. sad.gif

#83 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(Hyper_Eye @ Feb 9 2010, 02:29 AM) View Post

.....a bunch of well stated comments.......

Thank you for this well thought out, respectful rebuttal. I would like to think that many members here share your sentiment, but just don't have the time/words to express it as you have. Great post.

#84 juggahax0r

juggahax0r

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Hyper_Eye @ Feb 9 2010, 05:29 AM) View Post

The first step in modding these consoles is to find a vulnerability that can be exploited. That is the way in. It just happens that the DVD firmware was the first vulnerable part of the system they were able to find, exploit, and utilize. If piracy were the only goal they would have stopped right there. But they have not. A lot of work continues to open the system further and further and allow for more and more to be done with it. This is the process.

If it were related purely and innocently on finding vulnerabilities they wouldn't boast that they have made they new firmware live safe. When you go into homebrew on either system , Live is now taken off your list of things to do , unless you had a Modchip with an untouched TSOP on the xbox. Obviously i realize that you must be able to read a burned disc to find a vulnerability but what reason is their for finding vulnerabilities to be LIVE safe? And don't respond with something about it being something we should be aloud to do , the reason they are making them live "safe" and trying to figure out what MS is doing is not for any higher purpose than too fool them into thinking its legit , that has nothing to do with vulnerabilities , i might be able to agree with you if it weren't for that. Now i know it isnt fair for those who do simply mod to keep thier 50 dollar games or more safe , to ban them from LIVE and yea that is helpful to those who aren't using it for piracy , but it is still something that people from the dark side will exploit to the max.

I don't put this on MS. It is good for them to secure their system to minimize the theft of IP and cheating. It helps us out as well. It requires that people who want to mod meet a minimum level of intelligence which is good for us if they choose to be a regular part of the community.

Alot of this falls on MS , i know from doing a little reading that it is not nearly as easy to modify the PS3 , so where did MS miss on that one , im sure that has a lot to do with the fact that sony makes thier own drive and MS does not. MS has no right to say anything to anyone about IP theft period. They don't have a clean record in IP theft regardless of how many times they get away with it. I would agree you have to meet a "minimum" intelligence but console mods are not that difficult , or rather installing precompiled hacks and reading tutorials , the real beef of the jtag hack is not in installing xbr , xell ETC. the meat was when the hackers figured out all the low level bootloader stuff and how to exploit it , i give mad props to those guys. Another thing to consider about the 360 security relating to IP theft is that MS is probably legally required to make it as secure as they can for developers who are producing the games , not all the IP belongs to MS other companies make the better games ,

I have been a Linux junkie for 10 years and a Gentoo junkie for at least 7 of them and I use it as my main platform (My youtube channel, which can be found from the link in my sig, has a lot of videos of games running in Gentoo Linux.) I also develop *nix software for a living. It is great to see people still wanting to run Linux on their Xbox. It works great as a server or multi-purpose desktop. It also makes a great HTPC with one of the best media center applications ever in XBMC.

Well at least we agree about 1 thing , although i haven't found a linux distro i like a lot , im using Xp and i have ubuntu 9.10 on my other partition but , i normally use Fedora or OpenSuse. Oh and yea i have been using linux since we had to compile the whole thing from source , pre GUI , 92 i do believe is when i first heard of it. and by 94ish we had a basic xwindow system. I didn't go and check my years on that but sound correct. and yes i am 25 and yes i really have been using it for that many years , never as my only OS but i have always dabbled well a little more than dabbled , but i have always played games so until they had an effective way of playing games on Linux it was windows only. How is Gentoo these days i remebered i liked it last time i had it but didn't dig deep enough to get my 3d drivers working.

I wouldn't want to speculate as to what individuals seek to gain by coming here. I will say that anyone who comes in here looking for help pirating games or other software deserve a boot. But there is a difference between attacking an individual who is an obvious pirate and claiming the entire community here is mostly tasked with and concerned with making it possible to pirate games. That is not the goal here. If it were the amount of work done would be much less than has been invested so far. What would the reason be in making games, porting games, and producing fantastic emulators on the system? Why the effort to make it possible to run that stuff in any convenient way? People who develop in this community are skilled developers as that is required to do anything of any significance. Developers of such quality are likely to have good jobs. If I spend an hour working on something in the open-source community or something on Xbox (which are two things that take a lot of my time) that is an hour I could be popping something off the queue of the tasks I have on the todo lists at work. That 1 hour at work would buy me a fairly new game. An hour and a half would buy me a brand new next-gen game. So when I sat down Sunday morning with my cup of coffee and started working on my Xbox port of Odamex and then spent all day (because I wanted to be able to show something before the day ended) until I was ready to wind down for bed cranking on it I would have been able to buy pretty much all the games I am interested in at the moment. It just simply wouldn't be worth it to put in all the work required to get the Xbox mods to where they are, get the 360 to where it is, write all the different software, games, and emulators if the purpose were simply piracy.
It is a game console. In my opinion the focus should be on exactly what it traditionally was: writing games for it, porting games to it, and producing fantastic emulators on it. The software that is available for it is good but a lot of it compliments the gaming aspect of the system. I am not interested in facebook from my Xbox. It is Microsofts mindset that they should implement all these features that don't advance the gameplay experience in any way or even have anything to do with games. But they are willing to kick out a loyal group of customers to continue on that path. That is the wrong perspective. I like the gaming focus.
Playing a game on your HDD without inserting the disc is not piracy. It is convenience and faster load-times. If you go into the game menu on my Xbox you will find about 40 games. You can then look in the cabinet below it and find each one in excellent condition. The condition of them is so great because I never have to take them out (except to play Live.) Also I can browse through all my games and quickly switch between them. That is greatly convenient. Playing a game you don't own off your hdd is piracy. That is a big difference. Again, the feature has legitimate uses that are overwhelmingly the reason for the feature.
Again, I read your post. The detail you provided clearly was not enough to warrant the response I am giving you now. It is not a reflection of my disregard for what you are writing. It is a reflection on the quality and validity of the two posts. The premise is still wrong either way but there was enough substantive bits to this post to warrant this kind of response as opposed to my original one. I actually had a much bigger response that went into even more detail than this but the forum was messed up for a bit and I couldn't post it. It was lost. sad.gif

Playing a game off the HDD is something you cannot even do with most PC games without a patched .exe , and while i agree it is not piracy it is mostly associated with piracy,however , and certainly if you were going to pirate a game that necessitates it. I will have to agree that MS is adding features that are pointless , i have an xbox with XBMC well 2 actually , so i will probably only use a 360 for games , and yes i will purchase them i am not a pirate either. Just because some people may be exceptions doesn't put everyone here on the squeaky clean list. Keep in mind that i'm not against you in anyway or the community here , im not attacking anyone. I think the people who come here just to learn piracy are missing the point , but it happens and with this being the internet it happens a lot. When someone blatantly asks a ? regarding piracy well my 1st thought is someone didn't read the rules , and then you start going down the list and seeing others who have similar responses , it starts adding up. I have been in this community since the original , yes i had to make a new account but i've been here , i have read the posts i have seen the progress , and the utter freeze in progress MS caused with updates. Oh yea i agree people who do post about piracy related topics should get booted , i don't have a moral objection, an idiot objection maybe seeing as how this is all public , it has more to do with the fact that i would hate to lose this valuable source of information because some punks can't keep their mouth shut , good thing the moderators here are very active. You do make some good points obviously you can tell which ones i agree with , but you have not convinced me , maybe when i get my new 360 and get it all modded and can actually see this stuff in action i will have a different opinion , we shall see. at least you weren't some brainless idiot on here though. and i think we should end this here. i do believe this is a topic about XBOX live being cut for XBOX orig is it not haha. Oh but one more thing don't try telling me what i say is invalid , you are stating an opinion i am stating an opinion leave it at that.

#85 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(juggahax0r @ Feb 10 2010, 06:23 AM) View Post

If it were related purely and innocently on finding vulnerabilities they wouldn't boast that they have made they new firmware live safe. When you go into homebrew on either system , Live is now taken off your list of things to do , unless you had a Modchip with an untouched TSOP on the xbox. Obviously i realize that you must be able to read a burned disc to find a vulnerability but what reason is their for finding vulnerabilities to be LIVE safe? And don't respond with something about it being something we should be aloud to do , the reason they are making them live "safe" and trying to figure out what MS is doing is not for any higher purpose than too fool them into thinking its legit , that has nothing to do with vulnerabilities , i might be able to agree with you if it weren't for that. Now i know it isnt fair for those who do simply mod to keep thier 50 dollar games or more safe , to ban them from LIVE and yea that is helpful to those who aren't using it for piracy , but it is still something that people from the dark side will exploit to the max.

Again, I don't see how this shows malicious intent. They made the stuff Live safe so you don't accidentally get banned from Live. It doesn't matter if the game you have in is the retail disc you bought at the store. If you access a Live menu by accident while your mod is enabled your console will get banned and you will have a flagged GT. It is a protection mechanism and there is a completely legitimate reason for it.

Alot of this falls on MS , i know from doing a little reading that it is not nearly as easy to modify the PS3 , so where did MS miss on that one , im sure that has a lot to do with the fact that sony makes thier own drive and MS does not. MS has no right to say anything to anyone about IP theft period. They don't have a clean record in IP theft regardless of how many times they get away with it. I would agree you have to meet a "minimum" intelligence but console mods are not that difficult , or rather installing precompiled hacks and reading tutorials , the real beef of the jtag hack is not in installing xbr , xell ETC. the meat was when the hackers figured out all the low level bootloader stuff and how to exploit it , i give mad props to those guys. Another thing to consider about the 360 security relating to IP theft is that MS is probably legally required to make it as secure as they can for developers who are producing the games , not all the IP belongs to MS other companies make the better games ,

I wasn't saying that I don't blame MS for how easily hackable their console is. I said I don't blame them for trying to secure them. That doesn't mean that I think they are good at doing so. When it comes to the original Xbox they made gigantic blunders in securing their console. As matter of fact, I would say their engineers were flat out negligent when it came to understanding their own encryption mechanisms and in not testing their security systems against the final hardware. Every step of the way they made huge mistakes. Good for us.

Well at least we agree about 1 thing , although i haven't found a linux distro i like a lot , im using Xp and i have ubuntu 9.10 on my other partition but , i normally use Fedora or OpenSuse. Oh and yea i have been using linux since we had to compile the whole thing from source , pre GUI , 92 i do believe is when i first heard of it. and by 94ish we had a basic xwindow system. I didn't go and check my years on that but sound correct. and yes i am 25 and yes i really have been using it for that many years , never as my only OS but i have always dabbled well a little more than dabbled , but i have always played games so until they had an effective way of playing games on Linux it was windows only. How is Gentoo these days i remebered i liked it last time i had it but didn't dig deep enough to get my 3d drivers working.

I use Gentoo so I still build my system from source and have been for a long time. I certainly didn't when I was 7 or 9 though. That's a claim most people will have a hard time swallowing. But I am not here to question your credibility.

Playing a game off the HDD is something you cannot even do with most PC games without a patched .exe , and while i agree it is not piracy it is mostly associated with piracy,however , and certainly if you were going to pirate a game that necessitates it.

I don't think anyone here is concerned with what people associate our activities with. The legitimacy of doing something is not determined by how ignorant people perceive it. Copy protection today is more limiting for people who legitimately own a product than it is for the people that steal it. There are many legitimate uses for cracked .exe's. As a person that plays Windows games in Linux I often have to circumvent the copy protection mechanisms to play games I legitimately purchase. I have already mentioned the legitimate uses of running games from the hdd.

I will have to agree that MS is adding features that are pointless , i have an xbox with XBMC well 2 actually , so i will probably only use a 360 for games , and yes i will purchase them i am not a pirate either. Just because some people may be exceptions doesn't put everyone here on the squeaky clean list. Keep in mind that i'm not against you in anyway or the community here , im not attacking anyone. I think the people who come here just to learn piracy are missing the point , but it happens and with this being the internet it happens a lot. When someone blatantly asks a ? regarding piracy well my 1st thought is someone didn't read the rules , and then you start going down the list and seeing others who have similar responses , it starts adding up. I have been in this community since the original , yes i had to make a new account but i've been here , i have read the posts i have seen the progress , and the utter freeze in progress MS caused with updates. Oh yea i agree people who do post about piracy related topics should get booted , i don't have a moral objection, an idiot objection maybe seeing as how this is all public , it has more to do with the fact that i would hate to lose this valuable source of information because some punks can't keep their mouth shut , good thing the moderators here are very active.

Only an idiot would think everyone here is squeaky clean. But it is an insult to this community and the people who work hard to make modification possible when the whole thing is blanketed as a means of piracy. That is simply incorrect. I would expect it from an industry insider or a politician but I expect people who actually benefit from the community and are involved in the community to know better. Or they could at least have the decency to keep their mouths shut if they don't.

You do make some good points obviously you can tell which ones i agree with , but you have not convinced me , maybe when i get my new 360 and get it all modded and can actually see this stuff in action i will have a different opinion , we shall see. at least you weren't some brainless idiot on here though. and i think we should end this here. i do believe this is a topic about XBOX live being cut for XBOX orig is it not haha. Oh but one more thing don't try telling me what i say is invalid , you are stating an opinion i am stating an opinion leave it at that.

I didn't make this about piracy. Someone came in here and made a ludicrous claim that we have no grounds to be upset by a bad decision Microsoft made because we might mod the consoles we supported Microsoft with by buying while still using the service we supported Microsoft with by subscribing to. The claim was outrageous and it deserved a response. Were you actually interested in shutting this line of conversation down your response would have been much shorter. What you were actually interested in was getting the last word without me coming in behind you and decimating it.

#86 juggahax0r

juggahax0r

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:19 AM

You can't decimate someones opinion , you aren't right just because you think that you are right , that isn't how it works. There are no facts that can completely refute everything i am saying. What am i saying? I'm saying that while their are good spirited hackers and modders involved in this community in a big way , the number of people who just want to mod to steal games is apparent through reading the posts in certain parts of the forum , and it is because up until now with the recent discoveries , the only thing you could really do was play backup games , regardless of how harmless you try to play it as. And no you can't justify making a firmware LIVE safe as anything but trying to make it easier for pirates to continue and trying to make it undetectable , you can't accidentally break the TOS you agree to when you sign up for LIVE , and if you didn't read it that is your own fault , you still hit accept!! Why would you doubt someone would be able to compile Linux as a kid , and im not talking about a Linux distro that uses a program to build itself from source like Gentoo , with portage, im talking about using a command line to compile everything very slowly , i had to read the original command line tool to get it running out of a book and type it out it was written in C then i could compile the programs off individual floppy discs , and the reason i knew how to that was because both of my parents are computer geeks and have been since before i was born , which the computers before i was born were not all that amazing , in any case i learned from a very young age. I had help no doubt but yea by about 15 i could do that without any help , didn't have to by then they had package management and i think KDE was out by then , although i have gotten kind of fond of GNOME , it was shit back then. I can agree with you about the hacked .exe files to some extent , because copy protection is a bitch with cedega or just plain wine , but it still enables piracy , how exactly is it that copy protection is more of a hassle for the gamer though , besides Linux , they just aren't made for Linux and the layering programs don't get everything exactly right yet. Entering in a product key one time and having to put in a disc is not that much of a hassle , and the people on the other end who steal it have to take extra steps to get it running , don't ask how i know that. I was not vehemently supporting the original poster it changed when you decided to attempt to tear apart what i said , their was definitely ignorance in accusing everyone of pirating , and that is my bad , no i don't pirate and i am not projecting that on people , but what exactly does most of the modding have to do with pushing the system? It already plays amazing games , you can't push it by playing Genesis and NES games on it , and as far as porting it goes , if you know how too code , and have a copy of XDK yea you can do that , yes it takes a lot of work , and they deserve their credit for doing so , but at the end of the day you aren't aloud to release software with XDK unless you are licensed to do so end of story , i am not aloud to no one on here is aloud to and if they are they aren't aloud to use it in the manner it is being used. Pushing the system would be a group of people writing a completly original OS for it , not a dashboard a full working OS , i can see many different uses for an xbox360 as a PC , for me i would like to use it as a recording PC IE hooking up a nice Presonus Interface too it , it has a 3 core CPU and a decent sound chip and GPU , their would be almost no latency , i am a drummer so my setup needs to accept at least 10 mics most of which need phantom power , and to build a PC with the power the 360 has would cost more than a 360 does , and technically with its unique architecture you couldn't build a PC "exactly" like the 360. it lacks ram but if i remember correctly it uses ddr3 ram and gddr3 graphics ram don't remember all the technicals. My orignal post was never meant to go into a big discussion you decided on that. we just have to agree to disagree here or i could see this going on forever. go ahead and post again i am done now for reals.

#87 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

Not every opinion is as valid as another. When an opinion is based on flawed reasoning and illogical conclusions it doesn't hold any weight.

It would take me an entire day to respond to each idea in that post. About 90% of it doesn't even seem relevant. I have made my points. It is obvious you intend to ignore them no matter how they are stated. I will point out that the topic at hand is relevant to the Xbox 1, this is in the Xbox 1 section of the forums, and the shutting down of Live is for the Xbox 1. I have never even modded an Xbox 360 so my point-of-view comes almost strictly from that of a modder of the original Xbox. Regardless, you look at the whole thing in a pretty cynical way and I wonder why you involve yourself in these sorts of activities when you see them in such a negative light. Anyway, your geeky parent should have taught you how to express an idea with a beginning, middle, and end as well as the fantastic functionality the "Enter" key provides. I'm not 100% sure whether I'm supposed to read from the top of your post or the bottom.

#88 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:49 AM

DLC is back up. Tweat from Mark Whitten: http://twitter.com/notwen

DLC for Xbox v1 content should be back up. Community was totally right on this point.

Edited by Hyper_Eye, 11 February 2010 - 08:49 AM.

#89 bLiGhTy

bLiGhTy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Video Games Consoles, Motorbikes , Beer and smoke.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

Im still playing on halo2 right now & theres less than 200 playing still..

but it just dawned on me that m$ could force that last update on people that kills the softmod as a closing gesture. since they now wont care if it breaks online :/ whats the deal with that? will they bother? it doesnt look like it to me.

bLiGhTy.

#90 bLiGhTy

bLiGhTy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Video Games Consoles, Motorbikes , Beer and smoke.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(bLiGhTy @ Apr 16 2010, 07:43 AM) View Post

Im still playing on halo2 right now & theres less than 200 playing still..

but it just dawned on me that m$ could force that last update on people that kills the softmod as a closing gesture. since they now wont care if it breaks online :/ whats the deal with that? will they bother? it doesnt look like it to me.

bLiGhTy.

Now theres less than 100 biggrin.gif

I`m 1 of the last 100 playing on xbox live with a xbox1 game, playing on my modded xbox as well
i could be the last person on xbox live using a modded xbox1, how cool is that biggrin.gif

bLiGhTy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users