flash360

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

I'v not seen a similar issue on here to the one I got so I thought id post my findings and maybe it will help someone sleep.gif

Had a liteon in for repair the other day never been flashed just suddenly started giving open tray error sad.gif
on opening the drive I realised the laser was right at the top of its travel (the edge of the disc) It wont recognise any media from there, it needs to be at the bottom near the spindle. I moved it in manually and it worked ok until it got stuck at the top again rolleyes.gif so it needs a new white bit of plastic and spring so it will grip the worm gear properly.

ps you hear a bit of clicking too when you close the tray as the plastic teeth slip on the worm gear.

I know this isnt gonna fix most liteon problems but hopefully it will fix a few and stop people jumping to expensive conclusions rolleyes.gif

If anyones got any spare plasticy white bits pm me laugh.gif

#2 saleem_hacks_360s

saleem_hacks_360s

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:29 PM

so realy you cant say for certain as you have not tried to replace the white runner arm (if thats what its called)

and i got a spare one also from a scrapped liteon drive..

smile.gif

#3 shtewps

shtewps

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4a9de9f7a6

Let us know how it works out :b

Edit: Jesus, I just opened the only drive I have ever flashed that this has happened to. It's sitting right there, at the very end of the rails. That explains why this drive sounded like an alarm system doing off before it kept giving me open tray.

Kudos for finding this and spreading the word... gonna try and fix it without having to replace the bracket.

beerchug.gif

Edit 2: Hold up, hold up!!!!... Could this possibly mean the direct relationship with the laser calibration data???!?!?!?! Could this mean that when people flash their liteons, and the laser is in a specific location the calibration data becomes over written. Now the drive thinks the laser is in a different position and either tries to calibrate the laser itself, or pushes it too far down the rail forcing it to become stuck and not read any media??? Good god I hope we're on to something here! biggrin.gif

Edited by shtewps, 06 February 2010 - 10:54 PM.

#4 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Downhill Skiing, Xbox Mod Chips, Xbox Repair, Wiikey, ARGON, D2pro, XBOX360,
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

Wow, i have been wanting to make a thread on this subject myself.

In the last 6 weeks i have now seen 5 lite-on drives all doing exactly what you describe.

Laser at end of track away from spindle when i open the drive. I can push it back to the center and it works for a bit but the laser seems to end up getting stuck in the wrong spot again.

I have been suspecting the problem is the worm gear motor that drives the laser however i also considered that the white plastic laser guide could be the issue too. I fixed one last night and on this one i replaced both the worm drive and the plastic guide so i have at least narrowed it down to two possible causes.

I realy don't think the plastic thing is wearing out but since i replaced both i can't be sure.

#5 shtewps

shtewps

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

Okay so I just went to work on the drive that was giving me this problem. I moved the laser back in front of the spindle and adjusted the angles of the rails slightly by turning the screws at the end of reach rail.

I also cleaned out the grease (which was a lot) from the plastic bracket that hugs the worm gear. Too much grease and I would suspect that it would start to skip, preventing it from making its way back towards the disc.

I think either it may be getting stuck on the PCB somehow, or there may be too much grease on the worm gear/bracket. In my case anyways.

Just launched 10 games consecutively and not a hitch. cool.gif

Edit: It is really starting to make sense to me that this is related to the 'laser calibration data'. If that data has information in regards to the positioning of the laser, it could be why after a flash it is being forced all the way to the back of the drive and not coming back. ....Some food for thought.

Edited by shtewps, 06 February 2010 - 11:32 PM.

#6 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Downhill Skiing, Xbox Mod Chips, Xbox Repair, Wiikey, ARGON, D2pro, XBOX360,

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE(shtewps @ Feb 6 2010, 05:29 PM) View Post

Okay so I just went to work on the drive that was giving me this problem. I moved the laser back in front of the spindle and adjusted the angles of the rails slightly by turning the screws at the end of reach rail.

I also cleaned out the grease (which was a lot) from the plastic bracket that hugs the worm gear. Too much grease and I would suspect that it would start to skip, preventing it from making its way back towards the disc.

I think either it may be getting stuck on the PCB somehow, or there may be too much grease on the worm gear/bracket. In my case anyways.

Just launched 10 games consecutively and not a hitch. cool.gif

Edit: It is really starting to make sense to me that this is related to the 'laser calibration data'. If that data has information in regards to the positioning of the laser, it could be why after a flash it is being forced all the way to the back of the drive and not coming back. ....Some food for thought.

All the drives i am repairing are orignal fimrware, i am the first one to open the box in most cases.

So get this. I made my last post a hour ago.

Don't i get another lite-on console brought to me with laser at the end. Its on my lap right now.

First thing i did was move the laser by manually spining the worm. It is not slipping at all. I can move it back no problem. So for this drive i am going to try just replacing the worm gear assembly with motor.

There is no way it is getting caught on the circuit board. When tray is closed there is plenty of clearance.

#7 flash360

flash360

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:43 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I Think the reason the laser stays out is because when the drive moves it in to do a quick disc check the laser moves really quick. It moves slower on the way out.
It could be a build up of grease that causes the problem in the first place but I think once its started skipping on the worm gear the plastic will soon wear down. I cant see the worm gear wearing down though metal v's plastic no competition really rolleyes.gif
As for the cal data I just dont buy it, the laser still has pots on it and I cant see anyway to adjust them through the firmware. I think the cal data is just there for reference not that you should even use it for a new laser as its cal will be different. The only reason I can see for it being there is for repair centre to see if the resistance of the pots has changed blink.gif Maybe they are a bit confused by this problem too laugh.gif

#8 shtewps

shtewps

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(flash360 @ Feb 7 2010, 01:43 AM) View Post

Thanks for the input guys. I Think the reason the laser stays out is because when the drive moves it in to do a quick disc check the laser moves really quick. It moves slower on the way out.
It could be a build up of grease that causes the problem in the first place but I think once its started skipping on the worm gear the plastic will soon wear down. I cant see the worm gear wearing down though metal v's plastic no competition really rolleyes.gif
As for the cal data I just dont buy it, the laser still has pots on it and I cant see anyway to adjust them through the firmware. I think the cal data is just there for reference not that you should even use it for a new laser as its cal will be different. The only reason I can see for it being there is for repair centre to see if the resistance of the pots has changed blink.gif Maybe they are a bit confused by this problem too laugh.gif

Well, the pots are there to manipulate the voltage provided to the laser by changing the resistance, physically. I understand software won't do this but when I said the calibration data may have something to do with it I was actually suffering to the physical positioning of the laser (where it exists on the rails). And this could be why that after a flash, it is forced back so far where it may not be able to come back because once the cal data is replaced, the drive thinks the laser is somewhere that it isnt.

Just a theory wink.gif

I don't think its the motor of the worm gear at all. The motor itself and gear seem to be operating just fine, and they do. Phillips uses the same part in their BenQ drive and that never wears out prematurely like this.

Edited by shtewps, 07 February 2010 - 07:55 PM.

#9 FireSokar

FireSokar

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

If this is the gear it explains "buzz saw sound" some people hear when closeing the tray while flashing. The sound is possibly the teeth grinding. I've had it happen twice. the other 10 times nothing.

Edited by FireSokar, 07 February 2010 - 08:08 PM.

#10 death69inc

death69inc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:09 AM

Im starting to see this often in benq and lite on drives all stock fw
not sure why
I have replaced both worm gears and arms
so far in most cases has been returned for same issue within weeks
Was hoping someone found a fix for it but seems there is not much information on this subject

so far only way I have been able to get these drives to not return days to weeks later is replace the drive

Edited by death69inc, 24 August 2010 - 04:10 AM.

#11 letsmod

letsmod

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:28 AM

wow, I get allot of people with this problem from return shipping there drive, and yes I see allot of the laser getting stuck to the rear, I have along dental pic and slide it forward so I don't have to open the console, $5 quick fix, lol

So I guess we need to do some research about a way to get it to stop being stock

#12 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(letsmod @ Aug 28 2010, 01:28 AM) View Post

wow, I get allot of people with this problem from return shipping there drive, and yes I see allot of the laser getting stuck to the rear, I have along dental pic and slide it forward so I don't have to open the console, $5 quick fix, lol

So I guess we need to do some research about a way to get it to stop being stock

I have been replacing the entire worm gear and motor for this problem. You can even use one from a benq in a lite-on even with the ribbon cable being a bit shorter on benq.

#13 Ramses_tx

Ramses_tx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:19 AM

i have the same problem in 3 liteons, one seems to be ok after cleaning and opening the spring a little bit, but the other two still have the same problem, now when i return the laser to the spindle position it only says "mix content dvd" or something like that, i think it might be a lubrication problem since i have cleaned up the drive, i will try tomorrow.

i already have replaced the white arm thing XD, i will writte tomorrow after i make them work.

PS sorry my bad english

#14 rafinhalive

rafinhalive

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:10 PM

OH yes! i was waiting for this, i have seen ,tons of liteons with the same problem.Seens to be a particular issue with the 7xxx series.

Somehow, laser get stuck off the right position, so the drive doesnīt read any media.

What i did to solve :

Worm gear and motor - Worked for some drives around 70%
Lubrification - No success
Another laser - No success
Another PBC - No success
Flash to stock - No sucess
Put in other Xbox 360 to test - No success
Replaced the white arm - No sucess.

The error seens to be random,replace the Worm gear and motor works almost everytime, but some drives are stubborn. I noticed some DVDs need to be read from the edge of the disc, when this happen, sometimes the laser get off the right position.

So what i did, i measured where the laser get stuck, so i put a or "bumper fix", or whatever u wanna call it, itīs really simple to do it, but need to be measured exactly to not damage the unity.

How this works : The bumper act as a "limiter", so the laser canīt get of the righ position, it workīs 100%, my first fix was made almost 4 months ago and still working fine.

Itīs a simple fix and donīt damage anything at all. i came up with this after i almost gave up to find a solution,nothing seens to work. Can it be a software bug ? Missing calibration data? who knows...

I have used the rail from a old cd-rom drive. Check the pic.
IPB Image

I hope this fix can help you guys with this problem.

Ps : People around here have a more simple solution called "tap that ass" - this fix consists in slap the xbox in the back, works miraculously well lol.

Edited by rafinhalive, 28 October 2010 - 01:25 PM.

#15 xbox990

xbox990

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

mine did this a couple of weeks ago

it only seemed to happen when i played a certain game, fifa 10 maybe a coincidence?

i read some where about putting a washer on the bar so that white plastic thing hits the washer before it gets to the end of the rail, it didn't work for me, i even tried 2 washers. i had to manually push the laser back each time, but then the drive stopped reading anything after a few days of doing that., not sure if the laser was on its way out or it was because of this problem, or maybe it was me pushing the laser back and forth, lol.

i ended up buying a new drive, it was easier and quicker then messing about with it anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users