• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 impsquish

impsquish

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

i have an xbox with a duox x2 modchip (blue) and would like to install xbmc. I downloaded XBMC Installer Deluxe, however when i put the disc in it just waits for ages on the xbox logo then says that the disc cannot be read. Can someone tell me what i should do.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

Burn it to DVD-R, or install it via ftp.

#3 justtaint

justtaint

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

Most likely you tried burning to CD-R, which most drives won't read. Do as was suggested above and try DVD-R or CD-RW.

#4 impsquish

impsquish

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

I actually tried using dvd-r and dvd+rw. I have a philips drive so it should be able to read both of these. I dont understand how to use ftp as i dont have evox. The duox2 appears to have a modded microsoft dash on both bioses. i bought my xbox quite recently without knowing it had a modchip so im not sure about this.

im thinking of ignoring the modchip and installing xbmc by hotswapping instead. should that work or will the modchip need to be physically removed.

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

Hotswapping should be a last resort if you have a chip installed. Forget XBMC for the time being, and concentrate on getting UnleashX or Evox working first, so you can install things via ftp.

So, when you say "appears to have a modded microsoft dash", what do you mean? What can you see on the screen, which menu options do you have? Does it look anything like this?

Edited by Heimdall, 07 February 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#6 impsquish

impsquish

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:14 PM

no. it looks exactly like the normal xbox dash, however it will run a pirated game that the guy i bought it off gave me on a dvd. I assume that the normal dash wont do that. I have tried both the switch settings on the modchip. one bootscreen has a blue xbox logo and the other has a normal xbox logo but with a smal evo x logo in the topleft. i can also boot the standart xbox dash by pressing eject. i dont care about any of these dashes i would just like to install xbmc or maybe evox.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

It's not the dash that runs backup games, it's the BIOS.

If you can run backups then it's your DVD burning that's the problem. Get hold of a copy of Frosty's Rescue disc, and burn the iso to DVD-R using DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 at 4x or slower. Cold boot with it in the Xbox DVD drive, and see what happens.

#8 impsquish

impsquish

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

could the problem be that my xbox is pal. also i cant use dvd decrypter as it dosent detect my dvd drive.

im now trying a different iso writer to the one i was using and i am burning it slower. What does the frosty thing do?

Edited by impsquish, 07 February 2010 - 03:06 PM.

#9 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:09 PM

Video mode has no impact on the ability to read homebrew discs on a modded Xbox.

You need to work out why DVD Decrypter doesn't detect your DVD writer, or experiment with other DVD iso writing software and DVD-R discs until you find a combination that produces discs your Xbox is happy with.

#10 bill316

bill316

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

Freeware is enough to reslove your peoblem. You can try Free DVD Decrypter. It more fast.

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

Spam, and nonsense. Free DVD Decrypter doesn't write DVDs, it rips them.

Frosty's Rescue disc is a small boot disc. It's ideal because it's quick to download and quick to boot. You're using it to prove that your Xbox can boot homebrew discs, and to give you ftp access to your Xbox so you can install a hacked dash via FTP.

#12 litspliff

litspliff

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:electronics, music, your sister.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

two (four) possibilities that i can think of....

• you are not finalizing your DVD burns -or- not burning xiso's
  • you are using shtty no-name brand discs -or- a brand name that happens to not be compatable.
my advice....

don't be a dck. just download a shtty auto-installer like slayer's as an xISO, burn that sht, boot that sht, and FTP what you need where you need it.

you do know your bootpaths, don't you?

#13 impsquish

impsquish

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. It was the Tevion DVDs that I was using. Bought a different brand and it worked first time. smile.gif

#14 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:54 PM

however it will run a pirated game that the guy i bought it off gave me on a dvd.

That will earn you a vacation. While you are not able to post, read the rules here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users