• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 snake3y3s

snake3y3s

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

heya guys...I REALLY want to do the LED mod, I have all the necessary things BUT...

first off...my PShome button isn't that see through...is this normal? will the LED still shine bright enough through it?

second...
I was following this guys tutorial (of sorts) but in my research I came across this youtube clip that shows his soldering position and another one (when the youtube clip pauses and shows "update")...

What (if any) is the difference between the two points??
can i get a PShome button (just the button) from somewhere as a spare?

What is the TP12 for anyway?

Another question... (not 100% needed but would be nice) the PShome button at the moment just goes on when the controller goes on, is it possible to make it blink during charging too? but not act the same as the status led lights (i.e. blink while connecting to console)

Edited by snake3y3s, 15 February 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

The LEDs in the controller are 0603, not 0805, though they can still be used.

Just use the 'updated' spots at the stick, it's a regulated 2.8v and is enough to drive most Blue LEDs.

At present there are 4 versions of the actual PS button, that I'm aware of anyway, and an LED behind any of them will still light it up. They've just frosted them more now and the white/silver one is only found in the Silver controllers.

IPB Image
IPB Image

The thing that makes it difficult is the rubber pad behind the button. On the older version controllers it has a frosted/white diffuser that would let the light thru, even though there was no LED, but on the newer version controllers it's the same color as the rest of it and needs to be cut to allow the light thru.

IPB Image
IPB Image

If you're really careful and take the time you can use an Xacto knife, some hot glue and a piece of white paper and get pretty close to duplicating the diffuser.

IPB Image

Actual Diffuser in this shell..

IPB Image

..and then replaced with the Hot Glue and Paper Diffuser..

IPB Image

Getting it wired up to where it blinks while charging and is on the rest of the time is going to make for putting a lot more in there than just an LED and a couple of wires, in fact you'd have to really get into it and figure out where to tap off something in there since the actual status LEDs do both and are controlled by the MCU, and since there are multiple board versions that's just a mess to even think about doing it.

One thing you could do though is to install 2 LEDs under the PS button, or use a Bi-color one, and wire the other one up to the USB 5v spot, it's TP1 on all versions of controller. It's not going to blink, or even let you know the controller is done charging, but you'll know the thing is plugged up to the USB cable and has power.

#3 snake3y3s

snake3y3s

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

Thank you for the reply... All the other people I have PMed or posted replies to, just dont answer sad.gif

wow...the paper diffuser looks the same as the real diffuser O_O
the noise in the picture... is that from your camera, or does it end up looking that noisy?

for the USB cable light thing you say one point should be soldered onto the TP1 and the other? I assume onto the battery terminal.

...what is TP12 for?

I have the third from the left PShome button. Know where i could get another one? I made a small scratch on the underside of mine to check something...bad mistake sad.gif

#4 snake3y3s

snake3y3s

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

hmmm...cant seem to edit a post...
anyway...

so there is no difference between soldering on TP12 + the battery point and the two points at the bottom?
(and as i said B4) what is TP12 for anyway?

Edited by snake3y3s, 16 February 2010 - 03:29 PM.

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

You have 15 minutes to edit you post.

Forget TP12, already recommended which ones to use and why.

It's right difficult to get a good pic of something lit up with LEDs in the dark, doesn't matter how good/bad the camera is, so those don't really look exactly like that, it's just for comparison.

TP1 is 5v when the USB cable is plugged in, so yes the other end would go to Ground. Use TP4 or any other Ground TP spot on the controller (depends on the version) there's plenty of easier Ground spots to solder to than the battery connector.

#6 snake3y3s

snake3y3s

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

I will double check tonight but i think the MSU_V3.5X 1.12 or MSU_V3.5X 1.14 is my board...

#7 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

Doesn't matter between the 1.12 and 1.14 because they're basically the same, one just has gold plated contacts for the Daughter board is all, and TP4 is Ground on all versions.

#8 snake3y3s

snake3y3s

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

ok...
went home, pulled apart the controller AGAIN. and tested the PS home button against a LED.

I seem to have a different PS home button, the back isn't frosted at all, its solid sad.gif
so it seems i cant do the LED mod ...

any Idea on where i could get other PS home buttons?

check these pics of the guts of my control
IPB Image
IPB Image

This is my PC board
IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image

#9 snake3y3s

snake3y3s

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

any suggestions?

a guy from our local forums is giving me one of his SIXAXIS controllers (cause he says it not working 100%), could I yank the home button out of that and put it in my DS3?

#10 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

I find it hard to believe you can't see any light at all thru that thing, the white backing is what the PS is you can see on the front, so at the least that should be letting some of it thru. Get some 1500~2000 grit sandpaper and have at it if it's really that opaque.

All of the different PS buttons are swappable, the older ones are in 2 parts for whatever Sony reason, so make sure you use them both.

#11 snake3y3s

snake3y3s

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

...i got a feeling sanding it would damage it... sad.gif

if you look at the first pic i posted, theres a scratch on the top left, i made that scratch to test how thick that covering is, and it isnt all that thick.

I will take another pic with a LED shining behind it tonight maybe and post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users