• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 unsivil_audio

unsivil_audio

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hi guys, I recently aquired a 360 from my buddy which will no longer read discs, it spins for a second then says "open tray" at the dashboard. So I figured the drive was done, and I ordered another one. Exact same drive, Benq VAD6038. I pull up Jungle Flasher, unlock the drive, save the old firmware, decline ixtreme hacking. Closed jungle flasher, switched drives to the new one. Same process, saved the new firmware (wasnt sure if that was necessary but I did). Loaded old firmware into target source, and using MTK I clicked 'Write'. Then I read the new drive, and compared the firmware and keys to the old drive save file. Exactly the same. Put the new drive in my xbox, and still no dice. Still wont read ANYTHING.

Did I mess up? My friend swears thats the original drive and I have the correct key.

Thanks in advance, I'm about ready to just break down and buy a new one at this point. Its frustrating.

#2 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

did you check the new drive before swapping?

Are you sure you've not mistakenly put the old one back in?

If it was a key issue, you would still get 'Play DVD' but getting open tray points to a drive/cable problem.

#3 unsivil_audio

unsivil_audio

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

I'm 100% sure I put the new drive in there. I marked the old one as bad with a sharpie. So I did do it right? The old one wouldn't read any kind of media either. I was thinking the same thing. Even without the key, it should still play dvd's correct? Which it doesn't. I can test this with a regular sata cable correct?

#4 vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:09 PM

I'd say bad laser....In both drives. The second drive you bought could have been used as well.

#5 unsivil_audio

unsivil_audio

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

it was brand new. Still possible I suppose. But will someone please confirm I did the flash correct? I'm picking up another xbox tonight, not sure anythings wrong with it, but it is free so I'm not complaining.

#6 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(unsivil_audio @ Feb 25 2010, 08:11 PM) View Post

it was brand new. Still possible I suppose. But will someone please confirm I did the flash correct? I'm picking up another xbox tonight, not sure anythings wrong with it, but it is free so I'm not complaining.

Like I said, if there was a problem with the key you'd still be able to read a game as a DVD-Video. If the firmware didn't flash then the drive wouldn't respond.

Fire up the drive with just power and eject it - you'd probably want a connectivity kit tho. Pop a disc in the drive and close the tray. Then LISTEN to the drive. Even without being connected to a console, it should happily spin up. If it's not doing this then the drive is at fault. Frankly this is the first thing you should do to test a drive before messing around with firmware smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users