• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 z0p

z0p

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

I have seen a great interest for collecting a great set of games and game metadata as information and graphics in this forum, and I wondered if there could be great with a common recommendation for how to store this.

I created this mockup a rainy day to try to show what I mean.
feedback?
Is it necessary? And if so, how should it be done? I've made a mock-up, but I know it's far from perfect. There's a lot of issues to discuss, so that it will be flexible enough to fit all games, but not so loose that it will be impossible to implement it in software.

who?
I've made a very simple and dirty draft to prove my point and get a kickstart, but this is not something I can do myself, so if this should succeed, there's a need for people with knowledge and enthusiasm

why?
Mainly to make it easier for collectors, and game launcher/front-end developers to create good game collection packages with a great amount of information and graphics and display those in a visual appealing way for us drooling game enthusiasts. Please also refer to my document for more

so what's your thoughts about this?

http://www.prosjekte...cumentation.htm

#2 wimpyRBX

wimpyRBX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

/root/
|---DefaultIcon.png
|---DefaultFolder.png
|---My roms.tbn
'---My roms/
| |---My rom.bin
| |---My rom.tbn
| |---My rom.nfo
| |---My rom-artwork.png
| |---My rom-altart.png
| |---My rom-extart.png
| |---My rom-mediaart.png
| |---My rom-introshot.png
| |---My rom-actionshot.png
| |---My rom-video.avi
| |---My rom-screenshot1.jpg
| '---My rom-screenshot2.jpg

I like the thought of having a collection-base for devs/frontends etc. If it's done correctly they will hopefully start to use it aswell.

One quick thought here.. I really don't like this file-setup.. It will make (for some systems) make tens and thousands of files in a single folder. Some systems like for example NES will have ~1200 roms * 10-12 different files = 14400 files. Not all computers enjoy having that many files in a single folder i've found out tongue.gif

Have you looked at the ressurectionxtras thread and how stuff are being collected and stored there?

#3 z0p

z0p

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE(wimpyRBX @ Feb 27 2010, 04:35 PM) View Post

I like the thought of having a collection-base for devs/frontends etc. If it's done correctly they will hopefully start to use it aswell.

One quick thought here.. I really don't like this file-setup.. It will make (for some systems) make tens and thousands of files in a single folder. Some systems like for example NES will have ~1200 roms * 10-12 different files = 14400 files. Not all computers enjoy having that many files in a single folder i've found out tongue.gif

Have you looked at the ressurectionxtras thread and how stuff are being collected and stored there?

Yeah, it could be splitted up in separate folders and I have given it some thought.
The negative sides with that would be that the software always must be configured with the correct paths for the different folders. It would also require more testing from the application, to check what files are supplied.

I don't think computers have problems with directories with a large number of child, but rather the rendering of those. Since there must be a naming scheme, a simple filter would do the trick.

Graphics could also be referred to by the xml document using a URI, so it would support relative paths, and than again one could create a structure that fits one selves

#4 wimpyRBX

wimpyRBX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

I recommend to wait for ressurectionxtras to be released in ~3 weeks and see the setup there to see if this is something that can build upon it :-).

The entire emulation community (read: coders/developers) would love to have a standardized setup when it comes to roms/artwork etc to have as a base when creating frontends and emulators. (atleast i think so)..

#5 z0p

z0p

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(wimpyRBX @ Feb 27 2010, 05:01 PM) View Post

I recommend to wait for ressurectionxtras to be released in ~3 weeks and see the setup there to see if this is something that can build upon it :-).

The entire emulation community (read: coders/developers) would love to have a standardized setup when it comes to roms/artwork etc to have as a base when creating frontends and emulators. (atleast i think so)..

This for sure not something that's done in a day or two anyways smile.gif
I thinking a single directory structure would be best for portability and simplicity. Even if many systems use this multi-directory structure, it would be easy to convert when there exist a standard.

#6 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Nope.... Not a day or two.

More like 4 years of serious time, two of them active with other people online, and probably 6 years or so just tinkering around.

#7 wimpyRBX

wimpyRBX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:35 AM

I really like the idea of this like I've said, but I do think you'd have more grounds to work on if you started the project on a more general forum instead of emulator forum for XBOX1. :-)

#8 z0p

z0p

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(wimpyRBX @ Mar 1 2010, 12:35 AM) View Post

I really like the idea of this like I've said, but I do think you'd have more grounds to work on if you started the project on a more general forum instead of emulator forum for XBOX1. :-)

What!? There are more forums here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users