Photo

Duox2gs Blue - Debug Bios On The Other Bank?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 j0rpi

j0rpi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hello. I have an DuoX2 GS (the blue chip). I recently installed this after the DuoX2 got flashed with wrong bios. I want to know if i can flash a Debug bios on the chip, without wiping out the current i have thats working, and which Xbox versions that support debug bios. When i replaced the old DuoX2 chip with this one, it made this "Turn on - off - on - off - on - flash green/red", so i flipped the switch, and Evolution X booted right away. So i'm wondering how do i flash on the bank thats not working atm, with a Debug Bios?

Edited by j0rpi, 06 March 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

Same way you flash any BIOS. Boot the bank that works, flip the bank switch, use Evox to flash your new BIOS on the second bank.

Before you do that, you might want to boot with the working BIOS on the current chip, then hotswap the original chip and flash a working BIOS onto that. That way you have a working backup chip in case something goes wrong with your new chip.

#3 j0rpi

j0rpi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Mar 6 2010, 02:49 PM) View Post

Same way you flash any BIOS. Boot the bank that works, flip the bank switch, use Evox to flash your new BIOS on the second bank.

Before you do that, you might want to boot with the working BIOS on the current chip, then hotswap the original chip and flash a working BIOS onto that. That way you have a working backup chip in case something goes wrong with your new chip.

Ok, so it's that simple? Also about hotswapping, that's not what intended to do, the old DuoX2 is broken anyways.

So, i have to do this ? :

1. Put Debug bios in C:\Bios (ensuring it's 512k, or resized from 256k to 512k)
2. Enter flash menu on Evolution X
3. Select bios
4. Flip the switch
5. Flash

Is it really as simple as that ? I'm kinda new to this. So if the flash fails on the unused bank, i can still flip the switch to boot to evolution x without it being wiped out? Cause when i flashed the wrong bios on my old, it was fragging on both banks. I want to be sure this really works.

EDIT: Any debug bios to recommend for my modchip ? I'm unsure which Xbox version i have also.

EDIT: Seems i got Xbox 1.6, will Yoshiro 512k 1.6 bios work with my modchip ?

Thanks

Edited by j0rpi, 06 March 2010 - 03:13 PM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

From your description your old chip isn't broken, it just has the wrong BIOS on both banks.

Your process is correct. I'd flick the bank switch before selecting the flash menu, just to be safe.

The DuoX2 will work with any 256k or 512k BIOS. It's not the modchip that needs to be compatible with the BIOS, it's your motherboard. I've never used that BIOS, but from its name it should be the right one for a 1.6 Xbox.

Edited by Heimdall, 06 March 2010 - 03:28 PM.

#5 j0rpi

j0rpi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Mar 6 2010, 03:27 PM) View Post

From your description your old chip isn't broken, it just has the wrong BIOS on both banks.

Your process is correct. I'd flick the bank switch before selecting the flash menu, just to be safe.

The DuoX2 will work with any 256k or 512k BIOS. It's not the modchip that needs to be compatible with the BIOS, it's your motherboard. I've never used that BIOS, but from its name it should be the right one for a 1.6 Xbox.

Well it is broken since i didn't remove it properly. I have a XCalibur chip at the video port so it's a 1.6 (i read a guide how to determine your XBOX version.) From the readme of the Yoshiro bios, it says that it only works on a unlocked hdd. Mine is locked though, so i wonder what will happen once it's unlocked ? I know that original dash needs to have a locked hdd. The reason that i'm gonna flash a debug bios on the second bank is because i want to run XDK on it (i have all files etc so it's not nessesary to talk about that). But the XDK doesn't need a locked hdd, does it?

EDIT: Installed the yoshiro bios onto the other bank. It's working.

Edited by j0rpi, 06 March 2010 - 04:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users