X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:35 AM

Hey!

Okay so straight to the point.

I have a 1.0 xbox sitting around that was once mod chipped, with some crappy mod chip thats completely bricked. luckily its an easy to remove one, so its out and thats done.(I looked around, and found out I'd basically have to go buy a bios programmer to fix this, so I'm not even interested in fixing it)

I've been looking into TSOP flashing for a while now, and I do have the soldering skills required.
I just want to know exactly what the benefits or pros/cons are about tsop flashing. essentially what I'd -like- to do is have a switch(theres already one on the box, but I'll likely have to solder it to different points, since it was for the mod chip) and I'd like to have two options. one would be a slightly modified original bios, for example: just have the flubber animation a diff. color or something. and the second option would be that the switch goes into a more simple bios specifically for xbmc to boot. so when I power on the box, it starts almost immediately, instead of going to that animation.

the thing is, I've found so many different tutorials and opinions and whatever else, that I really dont know where to start.
I've got a soldering iron, a switch, an xbox, myself, and a softmod(which I could easily remove and put the box to factory standards if necessary)

I have no idea -what- bios images I'd use, where to get them, or anything along those lines. and I have no idea what to solder, because as I said, I've seen many different tutorials. even ones for 1.0 I've found a few that are completely different.

so if anyone wants to help me out, I'd be very grateful! and again, I'm very curious as to what other features or benefits a tsop flash could give me, so any more info would be appreciated too!

#2 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:56 AM

Flashing the tsop is basically like putting a simple mod chip in the xbox. Really though I see it as being pointless to install a switch. You could flash the tsop with either the Ind-bios or an X2 bios that would allow you to make bios boot changes (boot order, flubber and a few other things) just buy editing a file on the HDD. Is there any reason you would want to keep the flubber animation?

If you really want to install the switch http://img.photobuck...dotxbe/4way.jpg

Xbins has alot of bioses just look around there is tutorials on how to use Xbins

In my opinion Ind-Bios is the best bios for a tsop flash

#3 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

yeah, the only real reason to install a switch was for xbox Live, and with that service being discontinued fro xbox 1 in about a month theres no point

the only other reason would be to dua-boot linux, but the consoles are so cheap you might as well get 2

#4 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Mar 9 2010, 12:55 AM) View Post

yeah, the only real reason to install a switch was for xbox Live, and with that service being discontinued fro xbox 1 in about a month theres no point

the only other reason would be to dua-boot linux, but the consoles are so cheap you might as well get 2

Cheap is right, i picked up an xbox for $5 that was advertised as having a dead dvd rom. I cleaned it out and bingo works fine and even reads original discs- cant get cheaper than that, i TSOP flashed it, removed the dvd for other uses and made it a slimbox. Going to fit a larger hdd and stick it on ebay biggrin.gif

#5 davicoro

davicoro

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:48 AM

Hi...
I can really recommend you to try the TSOP way... it will give you all the function of the flashed bios. they are 3 options for all 1.0-1.1 xbox...

One full 1mb bios
Two switchable banks 512kb bios
Four switchable banks 256kb bios

For the options of 2 and 4 banks I recommend to everybody to left the original ms bios in one of the banks in case that something goes wrong.

i have this pictures from a tutorial that i have create some years ago. They have the same ability of bios protection. in this two options you must have one enable points connected and the second one whit the switches

In this option for two 512kb banks.
first bank is flashable and the second one is always protected to prevent the replacement of the original bios.
And also a optional switch to full protect the bios
IPB Image

in this option for 4 256kb banks
banks 1, 2 and 3 are flashable and the 4 is always protected to prevent the replacement of the original bios.
And also a optional switch to full protect the bios. Someone call this one an insane wiring.
this is a good one to have.
1. Xecuter2 Bios
2. EvoxM8 Bios
3. Linux Cromwell bios
4. MS Bios / or any other bios
IPB Image

chose the option the best fit your needs

#6 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:34 AM

well flashing cromwell to one bank is a good idea

#7 kronflux

kronflux

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:56 AM

hey guys, thanks for the responses, ended up figuring it out, got the old switch rewired to seperate the bios into 2 banks, one with ind-bios and one with the original bios. soldering was.. interesting to say the least. turned out I bought the wrong type of wire, and it was too thick for some of the solder points, but I eventually got it wired up. used a little glue-gun glue to keep the wires in place just in case theres any stress on them if I need to take apart the xbox again at any point.

thanks again!

#8 Nitro2u

Nitro2u

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

I hope the op doesn't mind me hijacking this thread but....

Steveo1989: As always your posts are informative so since my question does follow the nature of the original question I will just ask a couple more questions along the same line (for clarity)

I wish to remove the dvd and "slim down" my V1.0 xbox to just use XBMC and play a couple games from the HDD in High def with a LCD TV. No switches needed or wanted. Preffer not to see any MS logo's too (but could live with it).

I have the softmod part down pat (Several Xboxs worth of trial and error)

Hardware wise... Made a working Xbox to HD adapter cable. (tested on another xbox V1.1)

Connected the two solder points to enable flashing.

I am good to go (I think).... So, the question I have is I was planning on using Frostys "X2_5035_VGA_06" Bios (for the HD support) what would be the most reliable, foolproof method of flashing the TSOP? I have read a lot of the tutorials but have ended up more confused in the long run.

Frosty's Bios is a 512 mb file. Using Winhex I have edited (doubled) it UP to 1024mb for my TSOP (Is this still necessary?). I looked at Eruasia and raincoat and started to think it would be easier (for me) to remove the TSOP and flash it using my willem programmer and reinstall it smile.gif LOL.

BTW, A lot of the tutorials are very old (go figure) and some of them have be written in such a manner that I have no faith in the advice.

Ideas, advice or a nudge towards a modern TSOP Flash tut would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Nitro2u, 11 April 2010 - 11:11 PM.

#9 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

just flash with evox and you should be fine, doubling the bios isnt necessary as evox will do this for you

using x2 5035 you can disable the MS logo and splash screen

as far as HD, i would suggest getting an HD AV pack for it, youll have to switch to NTSC if its a PAL system, this can be done with enigma videomode switchdisk. ive never used a VGA bios, but VGA isnt HD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users