X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get Linux to boot directly to a program, skipping the dashboard altogether, much like how XMUGEN does. I posted a thread a while back about it but the guy who responded got banned so I never really got a definitive answer. I then tried out some linux chat rooms and got snubbed, same on forums.

I hope someone can help me on this.

#2 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:24 AM

How are you booting linux? Xromwell XBE or Cromwell BIOS? Program meaning Linux program or XBE? What is your xbox dashboard?

#3 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Mar 14 2010, 04:24 AM) View Post

How are you booting linux? Xromwell XBE or Cromwell BIOS? Program meaning Linux program or XBE? What is your xbox dashboard?

Well I havn't picked a version of linux to use yet because I wasnt sure which could do this (If any, or all). But I am using unleashedX. I want to make a linux XBE that boots a program directly, like XMugen does.

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

bc54 wrote this: http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4519642

You will still need the dash unless your xbox is flashed to Cromwell, in which case, it will only run Linux and not other XBE

Edited by ldotsfan, 14 March 2010 - 02:40 PM.

#5 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Mar 14 2010, 02:38 PM) View Post

bc54 wrote this: http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4519642

You will still need the dash unless your xbox is flashed to Cromwell, in which case, it will only run Linux and not other XBE

I wasn't really trying to get Xmugen running, just something that will load as Xmugen does.

for example, I have "X Program" which is a linux program, just like Mugen is. Mugen has a XBE file that loads Mugen using Linux, yet you never see the Linux Dashboard..... I want my "X Program" to load in the same fashion.

That was my question, how to get Linux programs to boot directly, without loading to the Linux Dashboard, not the Xbox dashboard.

#6 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

Maybe you can change the startup much like you change x.

For instance if I want to change the x manager at startup in xebian I can make a txt file in my home directory call it .xsession and add the start command for my preferred x manager. This file contains the command for anything I want to run at startup. In xebian I hate the packaged window manger so I build kde and to load kde at startup I make the file called .xsession drop it in my home directory and add the command

exec startkde

This makes kde the default at startup. I also add dhclient to the list because xebian likes to install in static.

Because these 2 programs launch at startup the way they do I can only imagine anything else you wanted to load would run the same way. I guess it will depend on the application itself weather it draws its own x or if it uses the preexisting x. If it does need x then you would have to find a way to run x as a background service that the apps were still able to use.

However xbox linux only has 2d drivers there are no drivers made to take advantage of the xbox's 3d potential.

#7 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Pulsemasta @ Mar 15 2010, 04:50 PM) View Post

I wasn't really trying to get Xmugen running, just something that will load as Xmugen does.

for example, I have "X Program" which is a linux program, just like Mugen is. Mugen has a XBE file that loads Mugen using Linux, yet you never see the Linux Dashboard..... I want my "X Program" to load in the same fashion.

Suggest you do some reading up on Linux. I see that based on your description, you want to disable X Windows (that's the Linux GUI) and run a Linux executable (with its own GUI). You'll see your regular xbox dashboard before Linux starts, right?

Anyway the post I linked to earlier on has the details.

#8 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Mar 15 2010, 02:57 PM) View Post

Suggest you do some reading up on Linux. I see that based on your description, you want to disable X Windows (that's the Linux GUI) and run a Linux executable (with its own GUI). You'll see your regular xbox dashboard before Linux starts, right?

Anyway the post I linked to earlier on has the details.

Could you recommend what aspect of Linux to read up on to accomplish this? I have a book on Linux, but not sure what the term for what I want to do would be called.

I don't want to make my own GUI, I just want it to run the application of my choice, without loading the Linux GUI. I essentially want to do exactly what the MUGEN loader does, but instead of it loading MUGEN I want it to load the application I want.

#9 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

Modify this line in /opt/bootlocal.sh

CODE

sudo /usr/bin/mugenstart &