11 replies to this topic

#1 cdcopier

cdcopier

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 04:58 PM

Ok i tried to find tutorials on this but none were found that were helpful. So im sure someone here knows what all is needed. First i am wondering about the chips. How does the bios or what ever it may use differ from xbox. What type of chip should i get i saw the flashable chip but didnt know if i should get it a magic or mess. Any help would be greatly appreciated, falming would not.
Thanks

#2 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 30 June 2003 - 05:24 PM

This question is fine. Don't worry about it. smile.gif

While the Xbox mods work on the basis of replacing the BIOS, the PS2 mods patch the data that is transmitted around the board (the Enigmah Beta worked in a similar fashion). It patches the BIOS data, sends data when the PS2 expects to receive it from an original, etc.

Of the 3 mods, I highly recommend a Messiah2 for its incredible value,. Magic 3.1 tend to give some trouble (with DVD-Rs, DVD9s, and V7 consoles). The DMS3 v2.0 is a good chip, but it is sometimes very picky about the installation (the installer must be meticulous), the flashability's usefullness has yet to be determined, and it has a high pricetag. The Messiah2, however, is very stable and inexpensive ($35 from http://www.foundmy.com ), plus I find the install to be much easier than the DMS3.

#3 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 30 June 2003 - 06:17 PM

If you need pics and diagrams, I will put them up when i get home. If you have never modded before then take your time. This is not an easy mod. If I forget just pm me and i will send them to you. Get a Magic 3.1. Its the cheapest and boots all games.

#4 cdcopier

cdcopier

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 06:24 PM

thanks a mil guys!

#5 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (Heet @ Jun 30 2003, 03:17 PM)
If you need pics and diagrams, I will put them up when i get home.  If you have never modded before then take your time.  This is not an easy mod.  If I forget just pm me and i will send them to you.  Get a Magic 3.1.  Its the cheapest and boots all games.

I really have to disagree on the Magic 3.1. It's becoming more of a legacy chip. For $10 more (from $25 to $35) you can get a Messiah2, which is unquestionably a better chip. You can't argue with that.

The Magic 3.1 does not have a perfect record booting games. The Messiah2 does.

Also something that you may find interesting. The Magic 3.1 and DMS3 both interfere with audio CDs. The Messiah2 does not.

Edited by Xeero, 30 June 2003 - 11:29 PM.

#6 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 30 June 2003 - 10:16 PM

ah, i stand corrected. Go with what Xeero said. dry.gif

#7 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (Heet @ Jun 30 2003, 07:16 PM)
ah, i stand corrected. Go with what Xeero said. dry.gif

Erm, I wasn't correcting you so much as I was debating with you. huh.gif Your opinion isn't wrong, man.

#8 [FrEEzEr]

[FrEEzEr]

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 11:08 AM

http://www.ankarah.com/home.html new chip with only 14 wires!

Don't know if it has problems

#9 ASheva10

ASheva10

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 01:21 PM

Xeero is right Messiah 2 is the best chip for your money, but I believe that the install on v1-3 is almost impossible lol, I think that you must solder 10 wires in a row on that bios chip.
Personally I got a magic 3.1 and installed in on my v4 gap ps2, I know I should've gotten messiah 2, but at that time I didn't have much $ to spend and I got a deal on a magic 3.1 for 15 bux. I am pretty sure that I am gonna switch to messiah 2 or any other chip if it will be necessary, but right now, I am fine with my magic 3.1

#10 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 01:40 PM

Don't get me wrong, the Magic 3.1 chip will definitely work. My point is that I consider the Messiah2 to be a couple steps above it and well worth the extra $10.

I've done a couple V1s and V2s and I hate them. The soldering isn't so bad as I don't mind the CD/DVD controller, but I hate hate HATE desoldering those 4 power pins that connect the motherboard to the daughterboard. All for one freaking SCEx point!!!

#11 Harry Paratestes

Harry Paratestes

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 02:06 PM

Everything above rings true. Whether you go Magic, or Messiah kind of depends on what version PS2 you own.
The PS2 is definately a different animal. All internal components are very small and extremely fragile. Then we get into soldering......If you had trouble with D0 on your XBOX dont think you will be able to just solder in a mod for your PS2. It is similar to soldering 10 D0's in a row with a gap about the thickness of a credit card apart.
I used to do PS2 mods till I got hold of my first XBOX. Now my ps2 just sits collecting dust. I installed nearly all the chips available for PS2, from the NEO series up to the latest Magic chip. Over 20 succesfull mods. One option left out of the mix, and I know I will probably get flamed for this......but if soldering is not your forte', then you may want to look at the (No solder Flip Top Boot Method) You simply install a new top cover on your unit which has a lid similar to the old style PSx. Start your unit with the boot disc, 8 seconds later it asks you to insert the disc. Drop your backup in and you are good to go. This is a very safe, no stress on your PS2 method that even the newest of newbies can do. The drawback is it realy only works with DVD-r backups. It will not play DVD rips. But then who wants a rip anyway???
I was given a flip top cover for testing purposes and liked it so well that that is the mod that I use on the rare occasion that I use my PS2. Plus it gives your unit a unique look. If you are at all interested check this out.PS2 cover.com

#12 rrreed

rrreed

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 06:32 PM

... On Harry Paratestes recomendation I bought and easily installed the flip top / swap disk combo.

It's awesome!! GREAT recomendation Harry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users