• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AbeSpain

AbeSpain

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

This problem is really hindering my ability to embrace the xbox 360 as a media centre smile.gif

I have a collection of films in different formats and whilst some of them stream just fine (load in seconds and play through without stopping) I have some that pause every 15 minutes or so, the loading bar comes up and the it takes about 10 seconds before they start playing again. It doesn't seem related to the movie file size, I have a 4gb mpg from a dvd that streams just fine (I think all the mpg's I have are ok) but the divx films don't seem all that happy. I *think* the xvid files work ok.

I have tversity, this seems an easy way to stream films (however, when I add new films they sometimes do not show up on the xbox unless I reboot the upstairs machine)
I am on a wireless network

What is the best format for film on the xbox 360? I had a look through some of the threads and FAQ and I can't find reference to this problem (didn't use the search but did go through 5 pages or so of threads so sorry if I missed the answer to this one).

#2 spokenmann

spokenmann

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:39 AM

I am a spammer. Why does nobody love me? sad.gif

Edited by Ranger72, 21 April 2010 - 11:38 PM.

#3 flank2

flank2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:34 AM

apparently you must convert you iphone ringtones to m4r and your streaming issues will be solved lol

but um what are the hardware specs on the computer that tversity runs on?

what is the resolution of the video? video/audio bitrate?

802.11g or 802.11n?

Edited by flank2, 17 April 2010 - 06:37 AM.

#4 AbeSpain

AbeSpain

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:50 AM

Streaming server - windows vista, 4gb memory, E8400 @ 3.00GHZ (5.7 WEI)
Router - DIR-615 I think running in g because of some of the devices. it says mixed but they all look to be running in g tongue.gif

General
Complete name : E:\Media Centre\Film\Films\Sherlock Holmes - 2009\Sherlock Holmes - 2009.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile : OpenDML
File size : 900 MiB
Duration : 2h 8mn
Overall bit rate : 979 Kbps
Writing application : AVI-Mux GUI 1.17.8.3, Feb 16 201019:42:50

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : DX50
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
Bit rate : 842 Kbps
Width : 608 pixels
Height : 336 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.172
Stream size : 774 MiB (86%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Format_Settings_Mode : Joint stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 118 MiB (13%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.58 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 192 ms

My iPhone IS too quiet, how did you guess? Big hugs!

Thanks for the reply by the way.

#5 flank2

flank2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:49 PM

hmm, if possible I would put your movie file on a usb flash drive and play it through the 360 and see if the loading bar comes back every 15mins or so.

if you don't have the same problem while playing it directly from a usb drive then I would say it has something to do with
a ) your wireless network (not enough bandwidth)
b ) your pc (too much cpu usage, or background apps)

is this the first file you've noticed that has this issue?

and your saying both your pc and xbox 360 are connected via wireless?

also can I ask why are you transcoding it with tversity when you could just flatout stream it with WMC?

Edited by flank2, 27 April 2010 - 08:50 PM.

#6 AbeSpain

AbeSpain

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:38 AM

Hi, I don't think I have a USB stick, will a burnt DVD do?smile.gif

I have a couple of movies that do it, not that many though.

My PC is wired in to the router, the xbox is wireless.

TVersity just seemed to work. I tried to get the windows extender to work which I did but it was very, very slow through the menus etc. Is there a step by step guide to getting it working via other methods then?

#7 flank2

flank2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(AbeSpain @ Apr 28 2010, 11:38 PM) View Post

Hi, I don't think I have a USB stick, will a burnt DVD do?smile.gif

I have a couple of movies that do it, not that many though.

My PC is wired in to the router, the xbox is wireless.

TVersity just seemed to work. I tried to get the windows extender to work which I did but it was very, very slow through the menus etc. Is there a step by step guide to getting it working via other methods then?

I am almost positive you can use a cd or dvd to hold a movie file and play it on your xbox 360, test that first.

then I would try to connect your xbox via WMC because it requires 0 transcoding and with your computer doing no transcoding at all we could eliminate that as a possible reason for the loading bar issue. to set it up its pretty straight forward, power on xbox 360 and pc, open wmc on your pc, go into the xbox dashboard and launch the wmc thing and take down the passcode it gives you and then input it on your pc. I use wmc because with the latest divx 7 codec, windows 7 mc can play mkv files and then I can stream them to my xbox 360.

but yea test your video by burning it to cd/dvd and let me know how it plays back.

also, how many computers/devices capable of accessing the internet do you have on your network total?
and how many are online when you are streaming via tversity?

#8 AbeSpain

AbeSpain

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

Ok, when I have used WMC as an extender (I assume this is what you mean) then the media center is very slow when scrolling through the menus etc on the xbox, usless in fact. Is this what you mean, add it as an extender?

#9 flank2

flank2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(AbeSpain @ May 16 2010, 03:28 AM) View Post

Ok, when I have used WMC as an extender (I assume this is what you mean) then the media center is very slow when scrolling through the menus etc on the xbox, usless in fact. Is this what you mean, add it as an extender?

yes I meant use it as an extender, and when scrolling through the menu it is a little laggy. If you tried playing a movie through it are you still experiencing the issues you were having with tversity??

#10 tihspeed

tihspeed

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

after doing very little or no research I found MY MOVIES(a free download)......to be used in combo with Windows Media Center..... man what a cool program..... just make sure once you install the program on your computer you ask the website for a full feature trial and enable the xbox extender to transcode all movies and viola...... problem solved....as long as you never change the settings again you never loose the transcode feature... so make sure to make all necessary settings as soon as you can(otherwise you have to pay fifty dollars for this feature).... it is a little slow to navigate but MY MOVIES displays cover art and has movie descriptions and I have been so happy with it

worthy of mention is that the fact that at least one of the systems must be plugged into the router to achieve maximum effect..... for example your xbox or computer.... otherwise I have gotten lag issues and it is horribly irritating....

just try MY MOVIES..... awesome program

I hope this helps... I copied all my moves to a TB hard drive and stream them perfectly in another format that xbox does not recognize....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users