• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 phatoneusa

phatoneusa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:21 AM

Hi I just got my broken PS3 off Ebay and I opened it up and all the cords were disconnected (PSU FAN BD DRIVE) so I put them back together and put the system back together.

Whenever I try to power on the system first I have to hit the power button two times, the first time it just beeps, and the second a green light comes on and then 3 beeps and off, I never see the red light.

It's one of those 40 gig originals.

Any idea what my problem is?

Was thinking it was the PSU because I shook it a little and it sounded like something was loose. But would the PSU cause the red standby light to come on and when I run a fan test the green lights solid and the fan runs at 100%. Any ideas?

#2 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

could be the hdd the psu or a number of other things. Google "ps3 3 beep" some of the sites might help you solve the problem you are having.

#3 phatoneusa

phatoneusa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:57 AM

I took the HDD out and it still does it. I have no red standby and it goes green for a second and then 3 beeps. Fan Test runs fine.

#4 DarkarNights

DarkarNights

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I purchased a unit of ebay that just arrived today, listing called it ylod so that's what I expected to get, but I'm getting the same thing you got one green light 3 beeps then off, I'm sure I'll find out what's wrong once I get it opened up, but I'd like to know what I'm up against before I go at it. Did you find an answer for this or have you figured out the cause?

#5 ABC-King

ABC-King

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:47 AM

i had the same problem with a 40 gig i got from a friend and i had to dismantle the whole thing all the way down to nothing but the main board and clean off all thermal paste and heatgun the 2 big silver dies for about 4 mins in 20 sec intervals. so that means hold it half an inch to an inch away and count to 20 then move to the second one and count to 20 and back and forth for about 4 mins but make sure you dont burn any other components on the board.

p.s. if you get the green light to come on but you dont see or hear anything chances are you need to turn it on and touch both the eject and power buttons until it reboots then it should be fine.

WARNING YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK THERE IS NO GUARENTEE THIS WILL WORK

#6 prime2010

prime2010

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:29 AM

I have similar issue but its 0.5 seconds for green then yellow then red light all at once followed imediately by rapid 3 beeps.

Hoping one day someone will let me know what this means;

PS. No its not HDD or anything related to the norm, I think its a GPU contact failure issue. BUT!!! Reflows do not work, hoping someone with experience comes around these forums one day and lets me know.

#7 cossie3k

cossie3k

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:35 AM

Have any of you stripped your ps3's down yet?

my thermal paste wasnt on the chip it had disinagrated and was sitting around edge of chip!

i done the following

1 - Strip ps3
2 - clean cpu and gpu and heatsinks
3 - re apply Artic silver thermal paste to cpu and gpu
4 - heated rear of board with a hairdryer for 3-5 mins until board board was almost to hot to touch around the chips (alot of peiople say use a heatgun... to hot to quick u just melt the board)
5 - powered ps3 on 10 times as it sat (ylod as expected)
6 - place heatsinks bank on cpu and gpu and reconnected fan and powered back up (ran for around 10seconds then fan went flat out and cut out)
7 - secured heatsinks back onto board and powered up (ran for 2 hours no prtoblems)
8 - rebuilt ps3 checking every stage it was still working
9 - Working ps3

Note - If step 6 doesnt power up and u still have ylod please repeat step 4 for a longer period and focus heat around cpu and gpu!

hope this helps!

Edited by cossie3k, 13 May 2010 - 11:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users