9 replies to this topic

#1 Digitalton

Digitalton

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 02:32 AM

OK, I wa sjust using my xbox, newly modded a week ago with x-ecuter 2.1, just installed a new 160 GB Maxtor 7200, and I was playing some games for about an hour. Thank I rebooted it and FTPed in to transfer over some data and it started going through so I left the room to let it send, I came back and the xbox (more specificaly the hard drive) was making a lciking noise and the screen was fozen, and I went over to check the progress of the FTP transfer and it had frozen to, basically saying that it could not ocnnect. So I turned off the box, let it sit for a few minutes and tried to turn it back on and I am getting an error 7. I tried sitting it in front of a fan for like 5 min and trying again, same error. Did I screw-up my box or cook my hard drive already? Can anyone give me any helpful tips, pointers, ideas or anything to do right now? Thanks a lot. uhh.gif
~Digi

#2 Digitalton

Digitalton

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 10:26 AM

bump, please somone has gotta be able to help me with this, I turned it on this morning and the same thing happened, I et the x come up then it just sits there for a bit, the xecuter2 logo never shows up, the hard drive clicks a few times and then an error 7. PLEEEEEASE sad.gif thanks guys.
~Digi

#3 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 01 July 2003 - 10:32 AM

i had the same with an old ibm drive.the clicking began all of the sudden.the drive is dead so maybe yours too.make sure taht all is plugged in correctly

#4 Digitalton

Digitalton

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 11:11 AM

Thanks Scan-C, I was hoping that that wouldn't be the problem, but I am guessing it is, because it is in there correctly, and it just stopped working mid ftp transfer when evoX was up. Since the drive is new, like bought only one week ago, does anyone here know if Best Buy will accept it back for an exchange, and also, is there anything I can do in the future to prevent this from happening? I hope to keep future hard drives for a bit longer than a week. tongue.gif
Thanks.
~Digi

Edited by Digitalton, 01 July 2003 - 11:14 AM.

#5 niwi7

niwi7

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 11:19 AM

put in ur OEM HDD and c if it boots if it does then yea its ur HDD

#6 Digitalton

Digitalton

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 11:31 AM

Will do Niwi. I'll do that tonite as soon as I get home from work, but just a few questions for now:

1) Does anyone know or have any idea if I will be able tto exchange the hard drive at best buy since it is one week old?

2) Is there anything I can do to make sure this doesn't happen with a new drive? and if so, how do I do these things?

3) And of course, can anyone think of any other way of getting around this, or any way to backup any data off of the drive?

Thanks a lot to everyone for the help so far.
~Digi

#7 RinGz

RinGz

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, girls, music, games, movies, electronics, parties, beer

Posted 01 July 2003 - 01:47 PM

you should be able to return it and tell them it's defective. Sounds like you just got a lemon... that shouldn't happen, so you had bad luck with the drive.

#8 Digitalton

Digitalton

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, I got my receipt out and ready for tonite, gonna go get an exchange, but I just wanted to make sure that I didn't do anything stupid that would have caused the problem. Since it is a 160 GB 7200, I wasn't sure if I would have to do a fan mod or anything like that, cuz I am not sure if it just cooked itself alive, even though it was only like 2 hours max that it was on. If anyone has had a similar thing happen to them and has found a way to prevent it, or even has any ideas of how to, please let me know. Thanks.
~Digi

#9 Digitalton

Digitalton

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 04:25 PM

Hey, sorry for bumping again, but I just want some help from anyone out there who can give it. When I exchange for a new 160gb 7200 maxtor with the 8MB cache, should I do a special mod on the xbox for an extra fan for the hard drive or anything like that? Or was this just a freak accident that shouldn't happen again? Thanks a lot for all the help and putting up with the onslaught of questions so far, but these are the last ones, I promise....for now tongue.gif Thanks.
~Digi

#10 KiLaHuRtZ

KiLaHuRtZ

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 07:07 PM

i have a 300GB maxtor in mine and it does the same thing periodically at odd times. i think it may be actually under powered. it is fairly new. i don't see how it could be under powered because i only have like 8 LED's drawing off the powersuppply besides the OEM stuff. but anyway if you get error 7. try unplugging the xbox and letting the caps drain for like a minute. then plug it back in and turn it one. works like a charm everytime for me. oh and btw i don't believe my hdd is dying as it works fine in a pc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users