8 replies to this topic

#1 moddrboy

moddrboy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:51 AM

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is an alternative to J1D2.3? I have accidently burnt the trace that leads away from the pad! My skills wont allow me to solder straight to the trace. I cant seem to get any solder to stick to the trace! I have used a fibreglass pen, and fluxed and im using lead solder but it wont have it. I dont know if maybe i could go directly to one of the legs on the nand itself? Any help would be much appreciated... Thanks

#2 cabb360

cabb360

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:34 AM

follow the trace out the hole, scratch the trace with a fine knife and solder a 30awg wire to it. had the same problem on one of the xenon i did

#3 moddrboy

moddrboy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

Hi, thanks for reply. But I have used a fibreglass pen to expose the trace, and i have fluxed the trace but cant get any solder to stick? any ideas? Thanks again

#4 cabb360

cabb360

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

What kind of flux u using wire and what watt solderig iron I used a 20 watt with 30 awg kayner wire with some liquid flux I was using radio shack paste which wAs garbage.

#5 xpa12

xpa12

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

Have you tried the underside of the board, or the top if you already tried the underside?

http://img145.images...reversejatg.jpg

Its not for xenon (but all you need to do is wire to the other points near the side of the motherboard instead of the ones shown) but the J1D2 wiring is the same on all boards

Edited by xpa12, 19 April 2010 - 03:05 PM.

#6 moddrboy

moddrboy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(cabb360 @ Apr 19 2010, 02:13 PM) View Post

What kind of flux u using wire and what watt solderig iron I used a 20 watt with 30 awg kayner wire with some liquid flux I was using radio shack paste which wAs garbage.

Hi I am using a 20w iron with 30 awg kynar wire. the flux im using has been fine for doing work on the Liteon drives. And for doing the db1f1. I have j'tagged quite a few xbox's now and cant beleive i have been so stupid as to burn the board! I havent done that since my first one lol.

QUOTE(xpa12 @ Apr 19 2010, 03:02 PM) View Post

Have you tried the underside of the board, or the top if you already tried the underside?

http://img145.images...reversejatg.jpg

Its not for xenon (but all you need to do is wire to the other points near the side of the motherboard instead of the ones shown) but the J1D2 wiring is the same on all boards

Thanks for the reply, but its actually the lpt connections im having problems with. Its the one below where the diode goes. it has a tiny trace running out from the southbridge and goes in between where the diode and the ground wire go to what i beleive is j1d2.3. Thanks

#7 moddrboy

moddrboy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

Ok here is a pic so we all know where we are. the problem I have is I have burnt the small trace that pin 2 goes to(light blue) in between, orange and green

http://i827.photobuc...dude3/Final.jpg

#8 cabb360

cabb360

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

Well on that point if u solder it to the bottom and if u burned the hole ur assed as I was and had to solder it to the trace coming from the sb. I think that when u burn the top trace off u don't get anything on the bottom as I also tried soldering it to the bottom point and tested with multimeter and didn't get anything at all. Tested the point from the sb trace at least that what my issue was that's why I solders to the trace.

#9 moddrboy

moddrboy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

just to say I have managed to solder a piece of 30 awg kynar wire direct to the trace and am pleased to say it was a success. If like me and you struggle to solder to the trace i found a great tip which helped a lot. Basically if you use masking tape to mask off the area around the trace and then use masking tape again to hold the wire in place its like having another pair of hands. You can then flux and solder. The great thing about using masking tape is that it dont burn from the iron or the solder.

Here is a link to the guide I found. It is actually a guide to repair traces but halfway down shows a great picture to demostrate the masking.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=684774

Thanks for your suggestions, I had given up.

Edited by moddrboy, 19 April 2010 - 08:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users