#1 kronflux

kronflux

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

hey guys, I'm wondering if there are any xbox bios' out there that will boot instantly, like the new phoenix instant boot demonstrated using windows 7?
I really want something extremely fast. currently I use ind-bios and it takes 8 seconds to boot, duing which is shows a black screen, then a blue(which is odd) screen, then proceeds into booting xbmc. I'd like to at least skip that blue part.
are there any completely open source bios' out there that I could maybe cut out a bunch from?
I know it's silly to want it to boot faster than 8 seconds, but at the very least, that light blue screen is ugly. maybe it's my config? I dunno.

#2 edwardar

edwardar

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

I'm interested in the same thing. I currently use 2 (switchable) bioses on my xbox:

X2 5035 - I need this for forcing 480p in games. Unfortunately it loads the "x2config.ini" file from the hard drive before starting up. This adds a short delay to the boot time.

X2 4891 - this is the fastest bios I know of. You can use xbtool to remove all startup animations and logos, and there's not blue screen.

Of course, neither is open source though!

I think boot time is a massively overlooked aspect of the xbox. It's what makes the xbox so easy and convenient to use compared to a PC. Also, it's great for xbox-based MAME arcade machines - you can have the xbox boot direct to Coinops in a matter of seconds, with nothing displayed on screen during boot.

I hope to try a SSD drive in my xbox when the prices comes down enough (probably a few years away yet!) - that should effectively eliminate seek time, which should help even more.

#3 kronflux

kronflux

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

I couldn't agree more. it's the major reason I use an xbox as opposed to a pc. because it's smaller, and more convenient in many ways. I eventually plan to upgrade the ram and possibly processor in my machine. I also use a switch to go between two bios, one of which is stock bios, and the other is ind-bios.
I'll look into X2 4891, but any other suggestions from anyone are greatly appreciated. and as I said before, open source would be nice too, because then I -know- whats going into my bios, and I can possibly get the best boot time out of it.

#4 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:02 AM

Ya know? As old as the xbox is now, I am surprised no one has written an open-source bios for the box.

#5 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ May 2 2010, 03:02 PM) View Post

Ya know? As old as the xbox is now, I am surprised no one has written an open-source bios for the box.

Cromwell Bios.

#6 kronflux

kronflux

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

cromwell is open source?! hm. I'll have to look into that. does it boot regular XBE's? I seem to remember one of the bios images out there stictly being used to boot linux, and cromwell sounds familiar.
how fast is it to begin with?

also, I have a question about X2 4891. if I were to embed the eeprom dump from my system into the image using XBtool, would it boot faster, since it doesn't have to read a seperate chip? just a thought.

#7 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(kronflux @ May 2 2010, 11:20 PM) View Post

does it boot regular XBE's? I seem to remember one of the bios images out there stictly being used to boot linux, and cromwell sounds familiar.
how fast is it to begin with?

No, only Linux XBE's. I have an idea, to modify http://xbox-linux.cv...amp;view=markup to use HalReturnToFirmware to boot regular XBE. http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4637159. But my x86 assembly language is not up to par to attempt the task.

EDIT: Ignore the suggestion, Cromwell doesn't implement HalReturnToFirmware since that is M$ code.

Edited by ldotsfan, 02 May 2010 - 04:45 PM.

#8 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ May 2 2010, 05:14 PM) View Post

Cromwell Bios.

DUH.

I meant open source bios that would not lock the user to linux, and what I'm sure the O.P. also meant.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 02 May 2010 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users