Halo: Reach (beta)
Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:07 PM
Glossy user interface to start with, good on 'em putting the option for 4 Spartan classes (and 2 Covenant classes). From memory these are:
1. Recon - has sprint as its power.
2. Assault - has amour lock as its power.
3. Stealth - has active camo as its power.
4. Airbourne - has jetpack as its power.
The powers are quite good - allows a tactical edge when playing the differing game types. The game types at the mo range from multi-flag (flag collection and back to base - multiple flags), capture/defend the flag (single flag to defend/capture and return to base), team slayer, assasination, and odd-ball.
The available map types at the mo are somewhat limited - Sword Base and one other - they're a bit on the small side, but this is a beta I guess.....this does effect the enjoyment of game types - the multi-flag game is ruined as the flags are very, very easy to return to base.
Overall I'm enjoying it (and having to remind myself that it's a BETA), but one of my gripes are the armour upgrades. Points mean prizes in this game, and for performing well/winning you'll be awarded more points to 'spend' in the armoury. Now I know this isn't MW2/BBC2, but why dear god, why not include some form of bonus to armour upgrades - I know Bungie want a level playing field (and I appreciate that), but if that's the case, don't bung a load of verbage in boxes under the armour upgrades promising 'better stealth' etc. I sodding saved up for some nice armour upgrade only to find out it did piddle-all except make me .look a tit.
Anyhow, what's everyone else think to it? That is if anyone actually reads this part of the forum (and I hope they do......)
Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:30 PM
Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:00 AM
LB: Class Type Power
Also, I really like the new 'non veto' aspect of the play type selection - however everybody seems to pick either slayer or flag collection levels - I've yet to play odd-ball or the other one that pops up. Whats happened to Invasion - or is this coming out later this week?
Had an odd one last night as well - exited to dash, and it black screened, then the guide blades came up, and the console froze. Rebbot fixed, but must have been a Live issue.
I too like using the stealth class - that combined with a shotgun = teh win.
The assault character is pretty good on flag capture levels - if you're defending, and there's a load of opposition coming at you, go into armour lock, come out of it and watch your enemies shield sdissaper - then melee frenzy
Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:23 AM
I'm a huge Halo 3 fan, I actually play it online for 20+ hours a week still. Reach is a huge disappointment.
1. The BR replacements (DMR, Needle Rifle) don't kill. I can place a clip into someone's face and have nothing happen. These shots have to hit the forehead almost every time. It's a nasty mid-range pistol. Because these mid to long range weapons don't kill, the entire game has evolved into grabbing Shotgun, Hammer, or Sword and camping it out.
2. The "bloom" scopes (seen on the Sniper) does absolutely nothing. It's distracting.
3. The armor abilities are kinda cool, but you should really only stick to one per match, not swap them whenever you feel like.
4. The game physics are crap. Spartans lost their jumping abilities and the movement is really slow.
5. The maps are littered with obstacles. If I get a clear shot on someone, they bolt around one of the many rocks, buildings, walls, stairs, etc that are everywhere.
6. The melee system is f*cked. AR the shields down, melee for the kill ... except nothing happens. AR more ... and more ... and eventually someone wins.
This game needs a ton of work. In its current state, it's like COD4 with Halo characters. I was thrilled to switch back to Halo 3 tonight after 3 straight evenings of Reach.
From a Halo 3 veteran, Reach is almost unplayable when compared to it.
Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:18 AM
The levels are small, and as you say, there's an excess of cover there at the mo - maybe it's just to test out the physics.....
Also agree with the fact that melee appears to be less significant - you have to empty a full clip into someone before melee to knock em down - although I guess (and I hate to admit it) I've read the books (Johnson getting it on ), and the Mjolnir armour is a new model in Reach, so maybe thats why.
I'm looking forward to them showcasing other maps and modes at the mo, so hopefully there'll be many improvements
Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:25 PM
So far Halo 3 is much better IMHO, Reach kinda feels like Star Wars Battlefront except not as good.
Also, so far the maps seem OK, and hopefully Bone Yard will be out soon because two maps is getting old. I'm hoping that map also has better weapon and flag placements because it seems that on Power House the rocket launcher and the flags are in favor of the team that spawns at the top of the base.
Good thing it is a BETA.
Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:31 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users