Motivation to do this: Run X-dsl from a 32k FATX xbpartitioner partition. Also to support a native install to non-standard partition beyond F and G.
I was able to get X-dsl 0.7 to boot from a frugal install with the new 2.4.32 kernel. Here's a work-log of the changes made, I referred to an archive.org copy of the x-dsl documentation:
The 2.4.26 kernel used in Damn Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org) has been replaced by a 2.4.31 kernel. This is a vanilla kernel from kernel.org with the latest xbox-linux patches (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbox-linux/) and the knoppix 2.4 kernel patch (available in /usr/src on a knoppix cd). The kernel configuration is available at /boot/config-2.4.31-xbox when running X-DSL. The linux-wlan-ng, ndiswrapper and xbox lirc modules were then compiled against this kernel and are included in X-DSL.
In order to add the kernel the following was modified:
/boot/System.map (updated to link to System.map-2.4.31-xbox)
The kernel modules in the /modules directory of the initial ramdisk also needed to be replaced with their updated versions
1. I used the kernel config grabbed from a running copy of x-dsl 0.7 /boot folder.
2. I compiled against this kernel with make oldconfig under Xebian 1.1.4 running in VirtualBox. Rename bzImage to linux24 to follow x-dsl naming convention in linuxboot.cfg
3. I compiled cloop module with cloop v2.00-1.
4. Use cloop's extract_compressed_fs to extract KNOPPIX as an iso
5. mount KNOPPIX.iso and copy all files to a working folder.
6. Add amended System.map and 2.4.32-xbox modules to KNOPPIX working folder.
7. mkisofs piped to create_compressed_fs to remaster KNOPPIX.
8. Add cloop.o to minirt24.gz modules folder. minirt24 is an ext2 image.
9. Copy KNOPPIX, minirt24.gz and linux24 to KNOPPIX folder on xbox E drive. Already had linuxboot.cfg and default.xbe in place on E drive.
10. Execute xromwell's default.xbe. Select FATX on E.
11. x-dsl 0.7 boots to the familiar DSL desktop.
12. Quick test with firefox and a xshell. Ok.
13. Did a quick loopback install without errors.
1. Sound is not working.
2. lirc is not working.
3. Probably many other things.
1. Modify X-dsl native install script to install to any of the non-standard partitions beyond F and G. Co-existance of F and/or G along with linux partitions.
2. Fix the known problems.
My files can be found here. I will also update the kernel.config used to the same place.