• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Rygrass

Rygrass

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

Do you need to have a 128mb ram installed on your xbox for this to work also does this work on a softmodded xbox? I been trying to get version 0.5, 0.6 and now this version and its seems i cant get any of them to work.

I followed every tutorial on here and it seems none work for me. I get up to the stage of clicking Fatx then it says "Loading Kernal" thats as far as i get... i've left it for 30 minutes to see if does anything else and nope

all the files are in the right place.. Case sensitive.. tried default.xbe in different places ( Doesn't seem to matter where ) i guess i'm out of luck here\

Cheers

#17 Rygrass

Rygrass

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

Sorry for double post i can't edit the other for some reason.

I managed to get it going through Cd install. its seems quite cool one thing tho is the applications still got overscan ( I got the desktop to fit nicely tho ) once i get this fixed everything should be go biggrin.gif

#18 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

its cool your working on dsl again but. dsl linux itsself is kinda dated i have been working on a lucid puppy 5.0 but i have ran into a wall with it using gcc4 and the 2.4 kernel not able to compile with it. puppy can run 2.4 teen pup uses it so i know it can be done.

i could easily port that being its devx file probably has 2.4 but its based on a very old version not even the 4x puppy series. and im trying to port 5x that uses the ubuntu repos as well as puppy's own.

Edited by luther349, 20 June 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#19 NaiGuy

NaiGuy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:23 AM

It would def def be nice to see puppy ported to xbox. we need more up to date distros on xbox. only one is GentooX i think and sadly thats really too balky for me with xbox distros need to be very lightweight and even then they might be slow. so far DSL is the fastest ive seen but its old and from what ive seen of it it does have a few issues.

#20 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

i found the older debs hopefully i can install them on puppy. i haven't gotten to it yet however. yes the xbox does need a newer distro and i figure puppy would be the best. but its not easy to make a xbox distro theirs little info on how to actually do it. no guids at all on how to start from scratch no how to make the installer and so on.

and its also hard for me to test it on a real xbox being my xbox hardrive only works when it whats to. i did pull the key off it so i can replace it but i just haven't had the money.

Edited by luther349, 25 June 2010 - 05:08 PM.

#21 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

Are you aware of this?

I will summarize the key differences the way I see it:
1. Bootloader. Cromwell/Xromwell vs Grub/LILO
2. Kernel. With xbox patches.
3. X Windows and driver.
4. Limited memory.
5. File system: FATX and partitioning scheme.

#22 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:40 AM

well if i can get a kernel compile to work in puppy at least i got 1 step down the other major one will be xorg hopefully the patches still work on a new ver. and lastly alsa.

#23 Zebedee Rocks

Zebedee Rocks

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

How would one go about patching this kernel with one already installed natively?

Thanks

#24 laminatedkitten

laminatedkitten

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:30 AM

I like the idea of having a 2.6 kernel on XDSL because of the extra USB hardware/wireless support. I have a 1.0 with Cromwell TSOP'd, and a western digital 80GB drive. FATX and the goofy split partition support are not important to me. I also got XF86 and XORG properly configured to fit both my LCD TVs, I can post the FBSET parameters that fit, as well as the X config file parameters if y'all would like to try them on your boxes. I like the way XDSL works, the way Gentoox looks, and the way the 2.6 kernel works. Is there a way to patch a 2.6 kernel into the already active XDSL 0.6? I have another XBox 1.0, identical HD and BIOS setup that I can screw around with if someone wants to collaberate with me on how to do this. My linux experience is rather small, limited to DSL on my old laptop a few years back, and my XBox. I can host any files needed on my server for us to share. If anyone wants to work together on this, let me know, and i'll put up a forum and a small FTP folder. Thanks in advance!

#25 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:26 AM

alisa needs to be patched for sound to work. awesome to see some work to even if its only xdsl. 2.4 is are limit if you whant fatx support. as well as dated versions of alisa and xorg. why i had to drop work on puppy its fs was to new for 2.4 and would not boot under it.

Edited by luther349, 09 February 2011 - 05:31 AM.

#26 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Can I get some sense of whether there are any active users of this stuff? Sourceforge reported an average of less than 10 downloads of x-dsl-0.71.2.zip each month since Jan 2011.

#27 NobodyHere

NobodyHere

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Mar 29 2012, 12:09 PM) View Post

Can I get some sense of whether there are any active users of this stuff? Sourceforge reported an average of less than 10 downloads of x-dsl-0.71.2.zip each month since Jan 2011.

Sorry, I haven't logged in here in a while.

If you were planning on doing more work on this, I'd be willing to give a reinstall a try. I had uninstalled a while back due to lack of proper controls like a Xbox mouse, and keyboard, or wireless ones for PC ssh. I suppose I could try the ssh from my desktop wired keyboard.

I think one of the reasons the download number may be lower than usual is that the Xbox linux info is so dispersed, and not organized. I'd bet that there are people downloading any number of the other X-DSL variations out there with no idea that yours is the most up to date.

Edited by NobodyHere, 18 April 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#28 law56ker

law56ker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

I've seen this release on other xbox resource websites, so people could be downloading it from multiple places. I am interested in your project, and hope to see you continue, even if the audience for it, isn't enormous. smile.gif keep it up please.

#29 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Only run088 reported back on the FATX changes.

x-dsl and xbox linux sites are both down - so this explains the dispersed information. It doesn't help that the pinned threads haven't been maintained for a long time.

I will have a go at this again when I find the time and users report back on their experience.

#30 Cio

Cio

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:26 AM

I'm glad to see some activity here (even if minimal) but I doubt I can be of much help.

Worse, even, all I have ATM are questions. The most important one being: Is it possible to install X-DSL without fatx partitions (no C/E/F/X/Y/Z drives)?

I realize I would have to figure out how to partition & format a harddrive from a live CD (Windows 7 on desktop) but before I dive into a few nights of Google searches to do that, could X-DSL even handle a dedicated drive? And is simply placing linuxboot.cfg in the root of my first partition enough to load it?

If it matters, my dvd drive still works, booting directly from cromwell 2.4, usb keybord/mouse can be attached. I've been looking for a simple install disk for X-DSL for a while, but they all seem to require booting via a XBE. Also, I recall only loopback installs being available via E or F drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users